Mobo that supports three PCI-E video cards?

syukton

Weaksauce
Right now I run a pair of 7800GTX cards non-SLI, with one card driving my Dell 2407WFP and the other card driving two Dell 2005FPW's. In the near future I want to run a pair of 8800GTX cards in SLI driving my main screen and a single 7800GTX driving the other two. Is there a mobo out there that will support this? I see a lot of boards advertised with a third PCI-E x16 slot for a physics accelerator card, but I'm not sure that a video card would work in that slot just as well. Is there any sort of BIOS limitation I should be aware of?

I don't care either way WRT Intel or AMD, just as long as the chipset supports SLI and the board is a stable overclocker.

Thanks for your help.

There are three PCI-Express x16 slots on the board – the third slot is a new addition to NVIDIA’s nForce 600-series chipset and unlike the two ‘primary’ PCI-Express x16 slots, it only runs with an x8 electrical interface.

NVIDIA expects enthusiasts to install a third video card for physics acceleration in the future, but it will also allow users to install another PCI-Express x16-compatible expansion card like a dedicated RAID controller.

From
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/01/24/asus_striker_extreme/2

Again, i think you can do what you want.

Back