Mobo suggestion for Ryzen 5 3600

Retsam

2[H]4U
I could use some help and/or thoughts on which mobo to pair with a Ryzen 5 3600. I am having difficulty figuring out what I need/want. I was planning on waiting for B550 to get released, but it seems like some people say that will be Q3/4 of 2020. I do not want to wait that long.

Stability and reliability are important to me. Low temps? I did kind of want intel lan and good quality audio but I am not sure how necessary that is. I do not necessarily care about overclocking, I don't think it is worth it. Do not care about wifi. I am open to both B450/x470, but probably do not need x570. Also only plan on single graphics card.

So far my motherboard picks:

Asrock B450 Steel Legend
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Asus Rog Strix B450-F / X470?

Any help is appreciated. I cant decide.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't get the Steel Legend or the Tomahawk Max then because it has the 892 sound vs the 1200a.

If you don't care about Wifi, then I wouldn't worry get the Gaming Pro Carbon as it's $20 more than the B450-F, but also has Wifi as an added expense.

So, I'd probably get the Asus ROG B450-F as it has everything you're looking for.

Well right. That is my issue. Every motherboard lacks some aspect of what I wanted. I wish there was a tomahawk max with higher quality audio and lan.

I am open to other suggestions, I was just listing the boards I have narrowed down on quick research.

To put in perspective I got a crosshair 7 refurbished with a 90-day warranty off eBay for $135. I would take that over the B450F

Yeah. The MSI Tomahawk Max has definitely been at the top of my list. I wish it had better audio and lan and I would be all over it. I have also never owned an MSI board before and I want to make sure I get a reliable, durable and stable mobo. I dont know how quality MSI are these days with their motherboards.

I usually keep my systems a long time so...

On the otherside of that, MSI are also the only ones with full ryzen 3rd gen support and full 32mb bios, where as every other B450/x470 are smaller limited bios.

Personally, I don't think which network chipset you get is that big of a deal for home use. I've owned Intel and Realtek-equipped boards, and I couldn't tell you which ones are which without looking.

The audio is a different story, but unless it's just a matter of which ports you get (for instance, that you want TOSLINK), I think the answer there is to get an external DAC or a real sound card if it's that important to you.

Between the ones you listed, I'd pick the Asus one.

Back