Mobo reccomendation for E6600, 8800gts

Devolution

n00b
Hello all, I'm putting together the final pieces of a longed planned system and was looking for some reccomendations on a solid motherboard.

I am looking at a fairly simplistic gaming machine with many features not being needed. I don't ever plan on using SLI, or using RAID. That being said, I'm planning on using one sata hard drive, one sata dvd burner, a core 2 duo e6600, and a geforce 8800gts, and 2gb of ddr2 6400 all wrapped up in an antec p180b case.

I would like to overclock a bit perhaps, taking the e6600 to 2.8 to 3ghz.

That being said, my budget is in the 100-200 dollar range, but I'd like to save some money if I can, given that I don't need the features of the higher end boards. Cooling and quietness are important to me, as well as stability. Any help would be much appreciated!

QuadGT is a great board without a doubt but sounds like overkill for his needs.

For rroughly the same price ASUS P5B Deluxe. not the DH.. DH is 975x
the regular is a 965 chipset..you want the 965

P5b vanilla with stock cooling..... the money saved here should be used on a quality power supply.....

not to threadjack, but I have a similar question.

I am planning on almost the same set up but I plan to SLI two 8800gts's. I can spend up to 250, but would rather not. I don't need all of the bells and whistles either, are there any good recommendations out there?

not to threadjack, but I have a similar question.

I am planning on almost the same set up but I plan to SLI two 8800gts's. I can spend up to 250, but would rather not. I don't need all of the bells and whistles either, are there any good recommendations out there?

$250 >> nforce 680i (i believe eVGA has a killer board)
$200 >> nforce 6800i LT (680 with lots of features scrapped)
$100-$150 >> nforce 650i (SLI in 8x/8x mode instead of 16x/16x)

i myself picked up a MSI P6N-SLI today (nf 650i), and it looks to be a solid board, not expensive either

I gave up on waiting for the DFI 965-s and right now running p5b dlx with e6600 + 8800gts 640 @ 3.52 GHz. The board is pretty nice but the layout for IDE cable and most importantly CMOS reset is HORRIBLE; other than that I like the board very much. Some have recommended to remove the "asus" badging shield on the northbridge heatsink, I will get around to this later most likely.

Will be running the Asus 680i premium shortly on my roommates computer but I think I made the right choice going 965.

Hello all, I'm putting together the final pieces of a longed planned system and was looking for some reccomendations on a solid motherboard.

I am looking at a fairly simplistic gaming machine with many features not being needed. I don't ever plan on using SLI, or using RAID. That being said, I'm planning on using one sata hard drive, one sata dvd burner, a core 2 duo e6600, and a geforce 8800gts, and 2gb of ddr2 6400 all wrapped up in an antec p180b case.

I would like to overclock a bit perhaps, taking the e6600 to 2.8 to 3ghz.

That being said, my budget is in the 100-200 dollar range, but I'd like to save some money if I can, given that I don't need the features of the higher end boards. Cooling and quietness are important to me, as well as stability. Any help would be much appreciated!

Seeing that you are building something a lot like my machine (sig) may I suggest looking for an Asus P5B dlx or if you can get within budget the Asus Commando. Mine is serving me very well :)

Given the great reviews of the DFI P965 and the relatively low price, that's what I'd go with...in fact, that is what I am going with. If you can't find one in stock, PM me.

Back