Mobo for 4+ GHz?

truffle00

2[H]4U
I have not been following the i7 processors and motherboards at all because I was not planning on buying one. However, I found what I think is a good deal on an i7 920 that is good for 4+ GHZ speeds on air, so I went ahead and bought it. The trouble is, I now need a motherboard.

The big things I need/would like are:

1) Ability to go past 4 GHz without much trouble. I know with other series of processors the motherboards could sometimes be a limiting factor, and I don't know if that is the case here, but I wanted to be sure.

2) It needs to be able to accomodate a TRUE or similar heatsink, unless there is a better choice that I should know of (no watercooling).

3) Relatively painless overclocking process. I have owned DFI motherboards in the past but never played around with all of the little tweaks, and am unlikely to now. I don't mind there being a multitude of settings, I just don't want it to be mandatory for me to deal with all of them.

4) I would really like a coaxial audio output in either the included sound card or chip.

Any thoughts?

If you're wanting to hit over 4ghz then you better have some decent fans on that TRUE...

as long as the processor isn't an overclocking dud then any of the common / popular x58 boards should be able to give you that speed. i7 is a bit more complicated than overclocking a c2d so it will take a bit of time to get used to the settings if you haven't messed with one before.

what kinda money are you looking to spend ? the prices of x58 boards go from around 200 bux right up to over 400.

using a UD5 w/ the TRUE and fits fine and just bumped up the Bus Speed and running @ 4.0 ghz w/ out any hiccups right out of the box

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution running at 4.2 right now on air with 1.30 voltage.

On this you can increase a 920 to 21 multiplier as well which is nice.

Able to run intelburntest no issue at this voltage, since i'm comfortable with increasing it to 1.35 i bet I could go much higher but i can't test that yet.

70 on full load with megahalems with this OC.

This board is completely awesome.

OCing was not difficult. Pretty much so far its just been increasing the bclk, adjusting ram timings, and changing vcore. I would recommend this board if you can afford it. It has everything you ask for.

Just hit 4.2 last night with a TRUE and my eVGA sli x58. Wasn't too difficult, bumped a few voltages and kept going little by little.

btw, you can go SLI if you wanna a intel chipset mobo other than X58. they only support CF.

Thanks for responding. Looking at a few of the boards on Newegg, I was considering both the UD5 and some version of the P6T. I have a 4870x2 and am not considering getting another card, so I'm not worried about SLI or CF capability. I am not too worried about price either, but I don't want to pay $400 for uber-OC features or other stuff that I'll never use.

That's kinda interesting about the P6T6 WS Revolution. Can any other board up the multiplier too, or is this some special Asus feature?

Back