Mobo dying, component frying - can I save it?

thingi

Weaksauce
My Gene V has decided to start cooking itself :(

Definite fizzing sound from around the CPU socket, CPU, GPU + mem all OK in another board and psu OK too. Can still boot into Windows on it. Board looks fine (socket pins fine etc) it's not CPU, memory or PSU.

That discolored component is getting bloddy hot though, not sure exactly what it does on the board I wonder do I....

Power the board on naked, let it totally fry then try it with a throwaway cpu + mem stick?
Rip off the dodgy component and try the board again a throwaway cpu + mem stick?
Throw it in the bin after many years good service :( ?
Something completely different?

IMG_20180216_122835.jpg

I would say you got your money's worth from extreme overclocking? ;-)

Been rocking at 4.9Ghz for quite a while now (with a de-lidded 4570K). Seems a shame to retire her but z77 m-atx boards literally cost a ton in the UK. My CPU is crying cos' it's in a in intel Q77 mobo at the moment.

Would love to build a new machine only thing really stopping me is DDR4 ram prices, I have gobs of fast DDR3 + watercooled founders pcb 1070. Use CEMU a lot, need max single thread clocks on ~4 cores or any upgrade will end up being a downgrade instead :(

if you can de-solder it and take it to a local electronics shop they can prob give you a suitable replacement. or maybe ze google. its an inductor btw.

Been rocking at 4.9Ghz for quite a while now (with a de-lidded 4570K). Seems a shame to retire her but z77 m-atx boards literally cost a ton in the UK. My CPU is crying cos' it's in a in intel Q77 mobo at the moment.

Would love to build a new machine only thing really stopping me is DDR4 ram prices, I have gobs of fast DDR3 + watercooled founders pcb 1070. Use CEMU a lot, need max single thread clocks on ~4 cores or any upgrade will end up being a downgrade instead :(

You look around you can find a good or ok deal on a kit, that's not a problem...a chip that don't need delided though that's something else though...this one could really use it. that other one was alittle cooler, but between the razor blade and the the vice it chipped the top...and some of those delid tools it don't even fit in there exactly right...

Back