Mobo crashes, how to get files off hard-drive w/new mobo??

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have a problem. My motherboard crashed and I was wondering if there is a way to get the files off my hard drive using a new mobo that is different from what I had. I can't get the new mobo to boot windows, I have even tried safe mode. I have even tried other computers and nothing seems to work. Is there a way out of this without reformating? Will the XP repair install fix the problem possibly?

any help is appreciated,

thanks!!

Go into the advanced bios setup. And look for the boot order, as in 1st 2nd 3rd boot device ect. Disable all except for the first boot deivce being "HDD-0" and you should be ready to role. That works for me.

You can hook your old drive up as a secondary (slave) drive to a different system. That will treat the old drive simply as another partitioned drive. Doing that you can simply go in and copy what files you need, then remove the old drive and reformat and re-install Windows.

use one of those programs like winternals/commander2002 or then linux cd that boots/runs off of the cd..

qdemn7 said:
You can hook your old drive up as a secondary (slave) drive to a different system. That will treat the old drive simply as another partitioned drive. Doing that you can simply go in and copy what files you need, then remove the old drive and reformat and re-install Windows.

This is the way.

themolt said:
This is the way.

just an update..

I tried that on two other systems and none of them would boot windows, not even safe mode.

I used the windows repair install and it worked perfectly.

thnx for all the replies,

-fro

There are always more than one way to skin a cat, ...I mean fix a HDD. Knoppix Linux is one of them,,,,it runs from the CD, but there is the Microsoft way and believe it or not the fix disk utility that Windows XP has is ....well, it works and works great. So, never forget to always check Microsoft options first when it comes to Windows XP Pro. I speak of experience as one who manages 100s of computers at work. It not only helps recover data, but it saves time in rebuilding machines. Hope this helps.

Bob2001

rsnellma said:
There are always more than one way to skin a cat, ...I mean fix a HDD. Knoppix Linux is one of them,,,,it runs from the CD, but there is the Microsoft way and believe it or not the fix disk utility that Windows XP has is ....well, it works and works great. So, never forget to always check Microsoft options first when it comes to Windows XP Pro. I speak of experience as one who manages 100s of computers at work. It not only helps recover data, but it saves time in rebuilding machines. Hope this helps.

Bob2001

hmmm thanks, I'll have to try that next time

Back