Mobo a little warped.

feenyx360

Weaksauce
I just got the Gigabyte DQ6 and when I lay it flat it seems to be a little warped. I believe because of the crazy cool heat-sink that covers the north bridge and south bridge which are connected with the heat-pipe. In the image you can kind of see it but its not an extreme warp. Is this something I should be concerned about? :confused:

DSC00330.jpg

Was the board straight when you unboxed it with nothing installed on it?

looks like it would go away once attached to the motherboard standoffs in the case

No worries, boards are made of fiberglass, more or less, they're pretty flexible and durable. I doubt it would ever snap in half. The best thing would be to make sure you attach all the standoffs and distribute the stress evenly on the board.

;) I had an old refurbed P4 board (also Gigabyte - hmm...) that was warped pretty badly around the HS retention mechanism when I got it. The board warped so much with the HS clamped down I was afraid it would bend enough between the standoffs for the soldered component nubs on the back of the mobo to short out against the metal mobo tray, so I put a strip of electrical tape on the mobo tray to insulate where the point of contact would have been. Fortunately the warpage never seemed to get any worse so that was unnecessary and AFAIK it never caused a problem for me. Just use all of the standoffs your mobo has holes for and maybe some of those non-conductive rubber bumpers (not sure of the proper name) and you'll probably be fine...

It's fine. I see many motherboards and everyone of them is bent to some degree. ASUS is generally the best about flat boards, but even those aren't perfect.

boards are pretty flexible. If I was you, I would take off the mobo cooling assembly, make sure it's straight or bend it back to being straight, and put some better thermal paste on the contact points. It's a 2-birds with one stone kind of thing.

hah! if you think thats bad, you should look at my board. ip35-e with a friggen cm geminii.

so far no issues though

Thanks for the replies. I have it secured now to the tray and everthing seems to be fine. I put it in an armor case and had to dremel the side fan due to the fact the Thermalright 120 Extreme is gigantic and I couldn't even close the door. :eek:

Thanks for the replies. I have it secured now to the tray and everthing seems to be fine. I put it in an armor case and had to dremel the side fan due to the fact the Thermalright 120 Extreme is gigantic and I couldn't even close the door. :eek:

Mounting them in side a case usually flattens everything out properly. :cool:

Back