Mobile Providers Turn to Netbook Popularity to Lure New Customers

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Mobile providers are selling netbooks at deep discounts in an attempt to draw in more customers. Most of the deals require a long-term data plan commitment before the discount so there’s always the warning of caveat emptor. However, if you were already planning on shelling out some money on a wireless data plan, these deals may be what you need.

[Analyst Jack] Gold said consumers should be careful. If a user starts downloading movies to a netbook and exceeds a monthly data limit, the overage fees could be onerous, he said. …Gold also said that netbooks are not a proven commodity, and it isn't clear if they are going to be used as replacements for laptops or fall into the category of toys.

I use my AAO just like I used my previous 14" laptop only it's easier to carry around. So if the netbook is a toy, so was my notebook computer. Then again, maybe it was :p

Yeah, I noticed this with Dell's Mini 9. It can be had for $99 after a $350 MIR with a 2 year contract.

$60 a month just for data plan? Are you kidding me? It's probably some craptastic lmit too like 5GB. I'll keep using the free Wi-Fi available in Starbucks, McDonalds, etc, thanks.

Back