Mobile phone with music capabilities.

ElevenFingers

Limp Gawd
Hey,

I'm looking for a new phone and an MP3 player so I thought I might ask here if you knew of any models that combine the two well.

Things I need/like:
Calling, texting, listening to music (high quality if possible), long battery life, small size micro SD slot or 1GB of dedicated memory

Things that are good.
Cheap or price effective. Best bang for buck.

Things that are okay but don't make a difference since I won't use them very often (also don't really want to pay for them):
3G, Camera, More than 4GB of space, movie watching capabilities.

Things that I don't want:
iAnything, Heavy, Expensive, Complicated, Sliders.

Let me know of anything you can think of. Older models are fine by me.

Thanks,

11f

One of the older Sony cell phones, all in one body style, fairly decent mp3 playback capability, etc. Can't recommend specific ones because I don't know of any particulars but they were designed with that focus on media when they came out years past.

The Motorola ROKR series was something similar as well.

I will say getting a non-3G phone these days is going to be pretty tough - 3G doesn't just mean it's a data phone, I hope you understand. 3G is the entire cell network itself for making calls too, the data aspects are just another "feature" of the 3G network. Pretty much every cell phone made today and for the past 3 years has been a 3G phone.

One other option would be looking into something from a prepaid provider like NET10, AT&T GoPhone, that sort of thing. They do offer phones with media capability and not the massive options or capabilities that the newer 'smartphones' do.

Look into older HTC models also like the Touch, Touch Pro, and Diamond as they'll offer similar functionality too.

I'd recommend a Moto U9, they come with 25MB of space, but you can toss an SD card in for up to 8GB of space for music. It also comes with an mp3 player in it. I think you can grab one now unlocked (and it's a GSM phone) for around $100, possibly less.

nokia express music series or N8/9X series as a lot of those phones come with 8GB - 32GB plus the ability to add additional space via SD card

for example

Nokia X6 Azure has 16GB
N95 8GB
N96 16GB
N900 32GB + ability to add up to 32GB more and dedicated keyboard if you wish to use it.

I actually have a Nokia 5800 XM unlocked for sale if you're interested. Bunch of accessories and the original box too. Let me know if you're interested.

It's a pretty handy phone that I used as my MP3 player for running/driving as well.

I've turned my touch pro 2 into an mp3 player, internet radio player and police scanner, into addition to all of the normal phone capabilities.

Windows Mobile allows for many great mp3 player programs to be used and lots of options to tweak the players and sound to your liking

expandable microSD is really great for this

Back