Mobile Pascal

ChosenUno

[H]ard|Gawd

Over 100 models for these desktop mobile parts. AMD's mobile dreams this gen is absolutely crushed I think.

So essentially they did away with the whole Mobile lineup and decided to stick desktop chips into these gaming laptops instead?

I wonder that's where all the 1080 and 1070, but certainly the more impressive is that 1060 selling like hotcakes, and they still had stock to shove them into laptops. That chip is probably the best bang for the buck in a laptop.

It certainly will be MUCH better than 960M ever was.

Full-fat GP100 in GTX 1080 (mobile version) and a beefier chip than its desktop counterpart in GTX 1070 (mobile). Both will surely overclock to and beyond desktop speeds -- a heckova lot of muscle for a mobile gaming platform.

Only critique I would have is the model designations are not differentiated from the desktop version. I sort of understand calling the mobile cards "GTX 1080" and "GTX 1060" since they are the same chip as the desktop (although lower clocked), but the "GTX 1070" (mobile) needs a different moniker since it's a different chip e.g. "GTX 1075m", or just "GTX 1075". These designations are going to confuse the heckfire out of people (nothing new in the mobile GPU space...).

No way AMD is going to be able to compete with Polaris, especially considering the power discrepancy. That said, if AMD can produce a full-fat HD 480 mobile chip and sell it for a price somewhat below what nV sells GTX 1060 for, they may have a decent mid-range offering.

I wonder that's where all the 1080 and 1070, but certainly the more impressive is that 1060 selling like hotcakes, and they still had stock to shove them into laptops. That chip is probably the best bang for the buck in a laptop.

This is certainly the case as nV has been reserving their highest-binned chips for the mobile space. nV makes a killing in the margins in high-end mobile chips, although the market is smaller.

Look at this, and you can guess the rest.

Performance-vs.-Power-Consumption_w_728.png
Power-Consumption-vs.-Clock-Rate.png

The bottom graph doesn't show much as clock rates hardly ever equates, especially given the microarch difference.

The most damning graph however, is the top one.

At the same power consumption, an RX 480 has the same FPS as 1060. The catch? 480 is rendering 1080, 1060 is rendering 1440p.

Something feels off though, I don't remember 1060 and RX 480 being THAT far apart.

Look at this, and you can guess the rest.

Performance-vs.-Power-Consumption_w_728.png
Power-Consumption-vs.-Clock-Rate.png

My point exactly on why AMD will a) only be able to compete with GTX 1060m (although overclocked, won't even be humorously close) and b) will need to undercut to account for power deficiencies. I wouldn't be surprised at all if only a handful of laptops even offer RD 480 mobility as an option unless price is very good vs 1060m.

Also, I decree by virtue of having been annoyed to no end by nV and AMD's mobile chip naming over the years, that all mobile Pascal cards will have the former "m" designation: 1080m, 1070(5)m, 1060m. I'm not dealing with another round of mobile line-up naming tomfoolery.

1060 mobile is essentially a downclocked desktoi 1060, same with 1080, only 1070 would require that distinction due to the different core counts.

The only confusing part of Maxwell line up is that both a 980 and 980M exist, which the latter is essentially a desktop 970.

1060 mobile is essentially a downclocked desktoi 1060, same with 1080, only 1070 would require that distinction due to the different core counts.

The only confusing part of Maxwell line up is that both a 980 and 980M exist, which the latter is essentially a desktop 970.

I see where they're going, but still think they need to add an "m" designation across the line. Really, it needs to be: GTX 1080m, GTX 1075m, GTX 1060m. The number indicates the chip, the "m" indicates both it's a mobile chip and it can have a different (likely lower) clock than desktop equivalent.

Also, 980m isn't a desktop 970 chip: it's a bit of an amalgam between desktop 970 and 980 in terms of cores, TMUs and ROPs (1536 shaders [a bit less than 970), 96 TMUs [a bit less than 970], 64 ROPs [more than 970], full 2GB L2 cache [like the 980], without the 3.5GB/.5GB memory limitation/issue). Case in point... it's confusing :)

Just had a think about it, putting M on mobile models might lead to an understatement of the GPU's power.

Historically speaking, a mobile M chip has been significantly weaker than its desktop counterparts, more back in the old days due to the higher TDP of the desktop chip, it was only Maxwell with its significantly more efficient power usage did we see mobile GPU chips closing in on Desktops (980M had a higher core count than Desktop 970 for example, and desktop 980 was eventually shoved into laptops).

This is the first time to my knowledge that a mobile GPU lineup that was not deliberately designed for mobiles (barring the possible exception of 1070M), so the nomenclature of 1060M and 1080M might lead people to underesitimate the power of such chips, especially considering that they are the same as desktop chips. I believe the 'M' would work against them in marketing.

On a side note, anyone else think that, if Asus ever releases an 1080 SLI version of the laptop with water cooling dock, it is probably the first time that it would make sense?

1080 SLI water cool laptop would cost like 2-3 first borns, but otherwise possibly justified from a practical point of view?

Just had a think about it, putting M on mobile models might lead to an understatement of the GPU's power.

Historically speaking, a mobile M chip has been significantly weaker than its desktop counterparts, more back in the old days due to the higher TDP of the desktop chip, it was only Maxwell with its significantly more efficient power usage did we see mobile GPU chips closing in on Desktops (980M had a higher core count than Desktop 970 for example, and desktop 980 was eventually shoved into laptops).

This is the first time to my knowledge that a mobile GPU lineup that was not deliberately designed for mobiles (barring the possible exception of 1070M), so the nomenclature of 1060M and 1080M might lead people to underesitimate the power of such chips, especially considering that they are the same as desktop chips. I believe the 'M' would work against them in marketing.

The "M" would be there to designate that it's a mobile card i.e. MXM PCB and also indicate that there might be a clock difference (reduction) and amount of memory from the desktop card.

Right, historically both nV and AMD would simply take their step-down desktop chip and slap a moniker that indicated it was akin to the high-end desktop chip e.g. m4870 =4770, m5870=5770, 680m=670. They would then rebrand/rename the chips to a mind-boggling extent to confuse the consumer in thinking they were getting a higher-end, refreshed card. And I believe the first time there was an entirely purpose-built high-end mobile chip I know of was the venerable GTX 485m, and that was likely designed in large part due to the prior hot (literally) mess that 480m (desktop GTX 465) was.

Back