Mobile GPU that can handle Skyrim at 1920x1080

Talon

2[H]4U
I travel a lot and am looking to upgrade my current XPS 15 with a Geforce 420M to something that can play Skyrim and other modern games at 1920x1080 without having to drop graphics quality into the basement to get playable framerates.

I love my current laptop and specced out a new XPS 15 on the Dell site, but the best discrete graphics option they have is the 540M, which from a few quick Google searches doesn't seem that great.

Does anyone have direct experience with this GPU (540M) that would suggest it will be adequate for this type of game, or know of a better GPU that can handle newer games that I should keep my eye out for as an option on new laptop?

I was hoping there would be something mobile that could provide comparable performance to my ~year old 560ti, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit: and something that would be available in a 15'' laptop. I fly to much to be lugging around some giant desktop replacement box with me all the time.

With my MSI laptop running a GTX 570m I get 60+ fps in skyrim at max settings at 1920x1080, the game plays fluid smooth.

Oh and sager, msi, asus laptops are gonna be best bet.

Id steer clear of dell, dellienware, HP, acer and other mainstream.

How would a 5850 handle this game? I'm trying to upgrade to a 6990/6970 but may get the game before I get the new card...

Back