Mobile gaming for around $1200

xCWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have any opinions on a mobile gaming laptop from 14"-15.6" for around 1200? i've been searching for something decent for a while and really can't find anything I like. All the gaming laptops out there seem to be stylized which make them clunky i Really like the MBP 15" but its 2200 but something like that is where I'm looking with backlit keys and long battery (so switchable/optimus graphics a must) anyone know of any?

^but order it from a reseller, Sager supposedly is crappy to deal with directly. Their resellers on the other hand are often very easy to work with. XoticPC is one of many reseller options.

The P9130 is a great deal right now. I'd pay the little extra for that quad 2670QM too. Benches right under a 2500k (stock). Man.. I kind of want one of these...

^but order it from a reseller, Sager supposedly is crappy to deal with directly. Their resellers on the other hand are often very easy to work with. XoticPC is one of many reseller options.

Xotic is pretty awesome. :)

Oh sorry didn't specify this before but it doesn't need to be all powerful like core i5 or equivalent doesn't need a huge HDD and graphics only need to run sc2 smoothly on medium

Go with 9150. Better cpu for the base product and a cool backlit keyboard.

Oh sorry didn't specify this before but it doesn't need to be all powerful like core i5 or equivalent doesn't need a huge HDD and graphics only need to run sc2 smoothly on medium

You're right, it doesn't need to be that poweful for Starcraft 2 for instance, but with your budget, get the one we prescribed and you won't have to settle for medium. You'll have to settle for that crappy "max settings". :p Who wants that!? :D

The P9130 is a great deal right now. I'd pay the little extra for that quad 2670QM too. Benches right under a 2500k (stock). Man.. I kind of want one of these...
mmmm, would be interesting to see the benches into how a 3.3ghz desktop quad is very near to a 2.2ghz mobile quad.

I'd give it another week to see if the Ivy bridge chips hit. May be around same price as well. But if you were inclined to purchase now, it would be FAR from a bad choice too. Up to you. Either way you'll be able to play games on High with ease.

I was never a huge fan of their Ideapads, and the Thinkpads are nice but seem way off from what I want.

Xotic is pretty awesome. :)

This. Have bought four machines from them and their pre and post sales service is awesome.

The np9130/p151em is your best option now in terms of overall quality. I might suggest spending an extra $80 and getting the p150em which would give you the option of upgrading the GPU... 6990ms, 485ms and 580ms will be going for reduced prices over the next couple months while people upgrade to 7970m and 680m.

I had a p150hm, loved it and now have a p150em with a 7970m on order. It's the best balance between performance and mobility availalble. As for design, it doesn't have the neon-college-dweeb look from which a lot of other gaming laptops suffer.

This. Have bought four machines from them and their pre and post sales service is awesome.

The np9130/p151em is your best option now in terms of overall quality. I might suggest spending an extra $80 and getting the p150em which would give you the option of upgrading the GPU... 6990ms, 485ms and 580ms will be going for reduced prices over the next couple months while people upgrade to 7970m and 680m.

I had a p150hm, loved it and now have a p150em with a 7970m on order. It's the best balance between performance and mobility availalble.

This. The 7970M is killer. It'll cook you breakfast and murder your family.

This. The 7970M is killer. It'll cook you breakfast and murder your family.

Yes, and still have enough juice to play Crysis :) Desktop 7870 power in a 100w TDP card in a 15" laptop for under $1500... absolutely sick.

Back