Mobile Devs Fined $50k for Violating Children's Privacy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a brilliant idea, collecting and sharing little kid's personal information. I hear the authorities like that kind of stuff. And by like, I mean "slap you with a big ass fine."

"In additional to the collection and maintenance of over 30,000 emails, containing email addresses, Defendants have collected, maintained, and/or disclosed personal information from over 300 Emily's Girl World app users and approximately 290 Emily's Dress Up app users who have registered to submit comments."

$50,000 sounds like a slap on the wrist, but then again it could be just a small time dev who makes as much as me. $50,000 would be a crazy big fine for me to pay.

I can see the problem of sending these girl emails regarding penis enlargement pills..

But is it illegal to advertise other things to children?

I can see the problem of sending these girl emails regarding penis enlargement pills..

But is it illegal to advertise other things to children?

It's not the advertising. . It's the collection of personal info on children and then distributing it to 3rd parties.

The FTC claimed that W3 Innovations’ apps were a violation of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the FTC’s COPPA Rule, which requires that a parent or guardian must give consent before a website operator can collect personal information from a child under 13 years of age. The FTC says that the company’s mobile apps fell under this rule, because the mobile apps send and receive data via the Internet.

Back