[MNPCTech] Project: Rebel Alliance CMII

Andrew_K

n00b
Hello everybody!

As some of you may know, I have been working closely with Bill Owen at MNPCTech over the past year learning and soaking up as much as I can as his intern. We have done several case reviews and mod guides together, and it is time for me to step it up a notch and take on a big themed build.

- Theme -

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_banner.jpg

This is going to be influenced by oldschool Star Wars, and specifically Rebel Alliance equipment. I love the look of their gear, machinery, technology, and spacecraft, so this will take many ideas from that. We're starting with the Cosmos II, and will end up with something that looks dramatically different in the end.

I first must thank CoolerMaster for the sponsorship of the Cosmos II and Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w powersupply, EK for sponsoring the watercooling components, Lutro0 for sponsoring their beautiful sleeving work, Mayhems for supplying their world class coolants and dyes, Cheapskate for dedicating his time into designing custom waterblocks for the 680s, Brian Garrity for his time as the camera man for the upcoming video of this project, and of course Bill and MNPCTech for everything he has taught me and given me during my time working with him.

mnpctech_logo2.jpg

600x211px-LL-3e08235d_lcbanner.jpeg

ScreenShot2012-12-20at22104PM.png

logo_cm-1.jpg

ekwb.png

- Components -

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel 3930k
Quad SLI GTX 680 Classified's
32gb of Corsair Dominator 2133mhz
CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1300w
512gb Vertex 4 SSD
3x 3tb Seagate 7,200rpm storage drives
Cosmos II
Full dual loop EK watercooling setup with custom GPU waterblocks designed by our very own Cheapskate
  • Supremacy Elite socket 2011 Nickel CPU block
  • R4E Nickel CSQ mobo block
  • 2x Ram Dominator X4 blocks
  • 2x 480 XT radiators
  • 2x DDC-3.2TP pumps
  • 2x X3 150mm res
  • Black Nickel fittings
  • Custom Classified blocks by munkeybutt
Time for the pics to do the talking!

IMG_0201.jpg

The Cosmos II

IMG_0197.jpg

It's a bird. It's a plane...

IMG_0196.jpg

Cosmos II opened up - I hate that mess of useless crap dangling there.

cmII_cm2_cosmos_cooler_master_clear_window_panel_120mm_fan_holes_mnpctech1.jpg

The build will feature MNPCTech's new Cosmos II Full Acrylic window side panel! Available soon for order. This is a serious chunk of acrylic!

IMG_0669.jpg

A few components going into the system

img0516td.jpg

Classified unboxing

img0534go.jpg

These cards are bigger than 690's...

img0546lw.jpg

Shiny!

IMG_0431.jpg

Why is quad sli not overkill? 6000x1080-across-three-monitors-gaming is why. Even the Rebel Alliance has to game from time to time!

IMG_0387.jpg

Stripping down the CMII for some modding.

IMG_0378.jpg

Taping off the top to cut room for a 480mm rad.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech2.jpg

Lining up the top rad

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech1.jpg

Cages removed to make room for a 480mm rad in the front

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech3.jpg

Creating the mounting system for the 480 in the front bezel

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech4.jpg

Rad mounted into front bezel. I will be doing more in between the rad and the edges to make it more connected.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech5.jpg

Front rad mounted in the case

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech.jpg

I wanted to do something special with the edge frame work, so I decided on cutting out slots and putting some modders mesh behind it

IMG_0408.jpg

Clamping down the mesh for some epoxying

IMG_0422.jpg

This stuff is the best for all kinds of modding. Epoxy of the gods I say!

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech8.jpg

Removing the stock top panel mesh

IMG_0417.jpg

Mounting a hinge on the top panel for some flap movement

622103_10151336750898933_1248969621_o.jpg

Watercooling time! Supremacy 2011 block and black nickel fittings

704662_10151336750923933_1468099606_o.jpg

I love the frosty tops on these blocks!

478213_10151336751053933_246499856_o.jpg

DDC's and tops

338741_10151336750978933_1710089353_o.jpg

An army of black nickel fittings! So prettttttty!

-- Updates 1/1/13 --

Thanks for following guys! Here are some updates on what is in the works...

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9a.jpg

Measuring out pieces to make dual res holder from 1/4" thick Black Opaque acrylic sheet

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9b.jpg

Custom Dual Res tube holder for the EK Res X3s

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9c.jpg

EK Res X3s, ready for mounting

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9d.jpg

What remains of the factory front I/O, this was part of the CM II's top panel. This will flip open.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9e.jpg

Modified "Laurey" style cabinet hinge, this spring loaded, and found at WoodCraft, http://www.woodcraft....ount-Pair.aspx

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9f.jpg

Spacer for hinge made from 1/8" acrylic, this will be painted later

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9g.jpg

Dual EK Res X3s mounted. This location will be ideal when it's time to fill the two loops.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9h.jpg

The flip cover, creates easy access for inspecting the loops, if ever needed in the future.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9i.jpg

The rear cover flips open now too!

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9j.jpg

I wanted to use an ipod touch for monitoring and fan control. This will be mounted in the front top panel and running through the Bitfenix Recon phone app.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9k.jpg

Making the front phone mount

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9l.jpg

Initial looks of the front phone fan control module. Think Luke Skywalker's targeting computer ;)

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech9m.jpg

Custom shroud for the reservoirs

More to come soon! We'll have a video worklog as well, so make sure you subscribe to MNPCTech's Youtube Channel!

This is looking fantastic already. Love the theme of this project as well, can't wait to see some more progress made!

Update time! I appreciate the comments and follows guys! I'm very dedicated to making this a very clean build internally, which is why shrouding everything is a must. I also want to keep the interior of the case very open and uncluttered, so there will be next to nothing inside the main compartment other than the mobo and what's attached to it. No drives, pumps, anything located here. It's all about the aesthetics!

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_acrylic1.jpg

Cutting 1/4" thick cast acrylic to use as a shroud for the lower portion of the chassis

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_acrylic2.jpg

1/4" acrylic over lower portion which will be easily removable with thumbscrews, 1/8" acrylic shroud on back wall will hide liquid tubing

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_acrylic3.jpg

The mid section has 1/2" thick acrylic floor so it's flush with the outter edge of the chassis

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_acrylic5_weld_on.jpg

Using weld-on to attach lip to the tubing shroud for the back wall of the chassis, this will be painted later to match the exterior of the case.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_acrylic8.jpg

Temporarily installing Mnpctech's CM II clear panel to determine the two 120mm fan hole openings in the removable lower chassis shroud

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_acrylic7.jpg

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_acrylic6.jpg

The two 120mm fan hole openings are aligned with opening in the clear panel

img0425nm.jpg

The epoxy on the side bezels has dried and I really like how they look with the mesh

img0468sr.jpg

Now it's time to do the same thing with the non-window'ed side panel. Cutting the double layered panel was a bit of a challenge, but it's cleaned up and time for more epoxy. I plan to mount an acrylic Rebel Alliance logo on the mesh and illuminate it.

As far as the custom classified waterblocks are concerned, Cheapskate has made great progress (though he has reminded me how complex these little buggers are going to be ;)/> This is current design phase with an "X Wing" style backplate that will have the Rebel Alliance logo in the red circle. The layers in the pic are backplate, full copper block, acrylic top, and stainless top cover.

680gtxclassified6a.jpg

680gtxclassified6d.jpg

More coming soon! Thanks for watching.

Man, it's like Bill turned someone loose in the candy store! Looking great so far.

Time for another update!

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_vents1.jpg

Taping off a section of the side panel to cut an opening that will be backed with mesh and a Rebel Alliance logo

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_vents2.jpg

Mmmmmm hot plastic spray

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_vents3.jpg

Cleaning up the back side of the opening - not an easy task with the over engineered cosmos II side panels

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_vents4.jpg

The triple layer madness has been dominated.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_vents5.jpg

Time to clean up the cut with a hand file

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_vents7.jpg

The side panels just feel really bland from the factory, so a few more additions will help to add some character to the Starwars tech feel

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_HD_caddy1.jpg

To mount two of the three 3.5" drives, I'll be using 1/8" cast acrylic for a mounting plate

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_HD_caddy2.jpg

The drives will be hidden behind the PSU and attached with thumb screws

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_HD_caddy3.jpg

The stock support was removed and a custom beam was created with 1" thick acrylic which the hard drive mounting plate attaches to

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_rear_exhaust_jet_fan_grill.jpg

For the rear case fan, the stock grill was removed with a jigsaw and 18 TPI bi-metal cutting blade

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_rear_exhaust_jet_fan_grill2.jpg

I'll be using a combination of a custom one-off grill and Mnpctech 120mm Overkill ring. I have yet to decide on exactly what combination, as a few options look good.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_rear_exhaust_jet_fan_grill3.jpg

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_rear_exhaust_jet_fan_grill4.jpg

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_rear_exhaust_jet_fan_grill5.jpg

img0628y.jpg

Dropping in the EK waterblocks for a preliminary test fitting.

img0629re.jpg

Spacing things out in the case. Subsequently Bill finds out I'm OCD about watercooling tubing and fittings :p

img0657lh.jpg

Getting up close and personal with the preliminary fitting

img0633it.jpg

Everything is coming together nicely. The front will be covered by a huge 480mm machined grill and shrouding around the edges up to the fans. Materials TBD

img0643ex.jpg

Cable management will be super clean as we have created a custom acrylic plate that the mobo is mounting on, and this allows for slots to be cut behind the mobo instead of next to it avoiding a visual mess.

More coming soon! Thanks for watching.

Time for another small update. Making some serious progress on the internals now! In addition to the iphone control up front, I also wanted something to make the inside shrouding a bit more interesting... so I went with an Aquaero. This will be used for some fan control, flow senors, inline water temp readings, etc. I like their graphs.

img07582.jpg

img0766y.jpg

A few of the LED strips I'll be using around the case to give a little glow.

img0770eg.jpg

I made a Rebel Alliance logo by hand which will likely be used on the side panel, and I may need to bust out a few more for placement among the build. A little time consuming, but worth it.

img07492.jpg

The interior is just about ready to head in for paint. The acrylic will all be painted the same color as the exterior (a metallic gray). The side shroud with fan holes is removable via thumb screws if I should ever need to access the lower compartment which will house the pumps.

img07482.jpg

Here you can see the placement of the Aquaero. The acrylic will be cut to fit it in perfectly and will be used for reading water temps, flow, and controlling some fans.

img07542.jpg

Holes are in place for tubing pass through to the quad GPU setup. The acrylic is flush with the case.

img07552.jpg

A sneaky view of the lower compartment that will house the PSU and pumps. The custom support brackets are made from 1" acrylic and also support the hidden hard drive mounting bracket behind the PSU.

:eek:

So much win. I'd say you're at risk of those GPU blocks stealing the show but clearly that's impossible.

Nice work.

Thank you ^_^

Just dropped off the parts for paint! Mixing a custom House of Kolor metallic gray for the interior and exterior, with airbrushed paneling design and detailing inspired by the wing panel of an Xwing. Can't wait to see it all painted!

That Cosmos is such a beast of an enclosure.
I'm particularly interested in how you are customizing the whole thing. Very impressive work so far!

Very interesting work.. In reference to the custom fan grille, I think it looks pretty sweet with them flipped opposite of each other (first pic on case). Just getting an actual fan in there and functioning would require some precise modding, but looks like you can handle it from the amount of work you've put in so far.

Nice work there Andrew K and nice pics. One question though, what are You going to do about drives, like HDDs and Optical Drives? As all of Your drive bays are now ancient history....

Two of the 3.5" drives will be mounted on this plate next to the PSU, one laying flat in the bottom of that area, and the ssd either on top of that, or on the ceiling of the bottom compartment.

coolermaster_cm_cosmos_2_ii_case_mod_quad_SLI_liquid_ek_watercool_gaming_pc_build_mnpctech_HD_caddy2.jpg

Nice, but an optical drive is a DVD type drive in a 5.25" bay normally, to Me an external DVD drive on usb 2.0/3.0 seems like some extra desktop clutter, as that seems like Your only route left, but whatever, I'll still watch this thread.

Yes, forgot to mention. I use an optical drive so infrequently that I figure having an external is okay.

Pick a color they said. Even though I'm colorblind they said. :)

(going with the far right shade, semi gloss custom House of Kolor with a bit bigger metallic)

img0810ab.jpg

The first batch of parts have been painted. I really like how the color and finish turned out!

img0830af.jpg

img0832kb.jpg

img0837eb.jpg

img0841z.jpg

img0850ds.jpg

img0857fb.jpg

img0858nt.jpg

img0863md.jpg

img0868tg.jpg

Thank you guys. The colors do look great in person. Now I'm just playing around with getting the shade of red I want for the liquid, which will be matched for the airbrushing artwork and fan color.

As a star wars fan I approve this build - it should be done by the 26th so people can see it in person right? ;) ;)

I kid I kid.... would be nice though :D

Are you concerned at all with the EK block corrosion and mayhems dye clogging staining issues?

Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks for the kind words. Brad spent time mixing up the custom House of Kolor red to match the liquid. This will be used for the fans and custom airbrushing around and inside the case. More paint pictures should be up tomorrow..

image5jy.jpg

Just a small update with a few current progress pics from our Midwest Modder's meet up last weekend.

cooler_master_cmii_cm2_cosmos_star_wars_rebel_alliance_andrew_k_mnpctech_midwest_modder1.jpg

cooler_master_cmii_cm2_cosmos_star_wars_rebel_alliance_andrew_k_mnpctech_midwest_modder3.jpg

cooler_master_cmii_cm2_cosmos_star_wars_rebel_alliance_andrew_k_mnpctech_midwest_modder5.jpg

cooler_master_cmii_cm2_cosmos_star_wars_rebel_alliance_andrew_k_mnpctech_midwest_modder6.jpg

cooler_master_cmii_cm2_cosmos_star_wars_rebel_alliance_andrew_k_mnpctech_midwest_modder7.jpg

cooler_master_cmii_cm2_cosmos_star_wars_rebel_alliance_andrew_k_mnpctech_midwest_modder8.jpg

cooler_master_cmii_cm2_cosmos_star_wars_rebel_alliance_andrew_k_mnpctech_midwest_modder9.jpg

cooler_master_cmii_cm2_cosmos_star_wars_rebel_alliance_andrew_k_mnpctech_midwest_modder9a.jpg

cooler_master_cmii_cm2_cosmos_star_wars_rebel_alliance_andrew_k_mnpctech_midwest_modder9b.jpg

Have you considered doing the fan intakes like the front of the engines on the X-Wings?

sw_mos_x_wing_0068.jpg

Just a thought... the project is looking amazing so far.

Back