Mmorpg with good/best combat system

mildante

Limp Gawd
Hello, could you guys recommend an mmorpg that has very good or even best combat system in your opinion. Preferably F2P.
I like the fatality system in Age of Conan, GW2 was fun in the beggining but I miss more options and more skills, now I play the Secret World and the combat there is missing something too. But I use a shotgun there so maybe I should try a melee weapon.
Thank you.

Vindictus or Dragon Nest.

Plays like an action game, both of them. Only thing is ... everything is instanced.

But playing a good Fiona in Vindictus is just so satisfying. Slow calculating character that you wouldn't think would be able to beat bosses by herself.... and yet, she does. (Given you're good enough.)

Here's a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_ZjAdXZ8Hs

Yes... she takes 53 minutes... but that boss usually takes 50 minutes unless your team is at least decent. Which it almost never is.

I don't think any game has done combat as good as Dark Age of Camelot. Graphics have most likely not aged well, but the combat mechanics are pretty fun!

Positional styles, style chains, interrupts... all good.

Raiderz.

Combine open world mmorpg with the combat style of Vindictus and this is what you get.

Plays like an action game, both of them. Only thing is ... everything is instanced.

But playing a good Fiona in Vindictus is just so satisfying. Slow calculating character that you wouldn't think would be able to beat bosses by herself.... and yet, she does. (Given you're good enough.)

Here's a vid.

Yes... she takes 53 minutes... but that boss usually takes 50 minutes unless your team is at least decent. Which it almost never is.

If you're taking more than 15 minutes with a good team to beat Beo then you've got problems. :p Maybe I should go see if I can solo Beo on my Lann, see how quick I die.

Fiona can be an absolute beast though. Did a 3-man Ingkells with my Lann, an Evie and a Fiona before the new level cap. I felt like I wasn't even needed as the Fiona was just such a beast, and I'm almost always top damage on Ing with any other team (+10 I/V DWTS, 13K+ atk).

That being said, I second the Vindi opinion. Most satisfying combat in any MMO I've played. About the biggest complaint I have is the maturity level in it is pretty low. Don't expect any real engaging conversation anywhere, and while running a dungeon there's no typed conversation at all due to the rapid combat.

Here's a vid.

Dragons nest combat was a lot of fun. In Mino's nest it was very rewarding sucking all the minos with a black hole, throwing poison, triple orbs, then finishing with a comet. All skills were relevant, and it really did come down to your build complimenting your playstyle. Movement was good, and dodging was very necessary to survive.

However it became very repetitive very quickly. Leveling to 40 was running the same 15 minute instance over and over. Loot and upgrading loot was very RNG and running the same 15 minute instance over and over. And you had to pump money to be viable for hard mode nests or put in a mind staggering amount of hours to farm for mats to attempt to upgrade your gear to compensate (upgrading can also completely destroy an item too).

Nest runs (raid difficult content opposed to normal dungeons) were a blast with pugs, but the grind to get there was just too painful for me to keep playing when I completed APOC nest a few times.

Thank you for the tips guys. I will probably try Vindictus first. It looks interesting.

If you're taking more than 15 minutes with a good team to beat Beo then you've got problems. :p Maybe I should go see if I can solo Beo on my Lann, see how quick I die.

Fiona can be an absolute beast though. Did a 3-man Ingkells with my Lann, an Evie and a Fiona before the new level cap. I felt like I wasn't even needed as the Fiona was just such a beast, and I'm almost always top damage on Ing with any other team (+10 I/V DWTS, 13K+ atk).

That being said, I second the Vindi opinion. Most satisfying combat in any MMO I've played. About the biggest complaint I have is the maturity level in it is pretty low. Don't expect any real engaging conversation anywhere, and while running a dungeon there's no typed conversation at all due to the rapid combat.

Eh, I never maxed out. My Fiona's only 67? I think? I played it for like 40 levels straight and man did I get good with her. Not as awesome as the pro players, but I held my own against most bosses I've previously fought (her, more than anyone, you have to learn the bosses' intricacies.) I've sinced stopped playing for, like, a year. So most of my knowledge of the bosses went down the drain.

True about maturity level though, but I view that as a.... the more there are... sort of thing. Get into a decent guild and you'd be okay though. If for nothing else, for them to save you in a crisis.

Dragons nest combat was a lot of fun. In Mino's nest it was very rewarding sucking all the minos with a black hole, throwing poison, triple orbs, then finishing with a comet. All skills were relevant, and it really did come down to your build complimenting your playstyle. Movement was good, and dodging was very necessary to survive.

However it became very repetitive very quickly. Leveling to 40 was running the same 15 minute instance over and over. Loot and upgrading loot was very RNG and running the same 15 minute instance over and over. And you had to pump money to be viable for hard mode nests or put in a mind staggering amount of hours to farm for mats to attempt to upgrade your gear to compensate (upgrading can also completely destroy an item too).

Nest runs (raid difficult content opposed to normal dungeons) were a blast with pugs, but the grind to get there was just too painful for me to keep playing when I completed APOC nest a few times.

Eh, I didn't like Nests all that much, mostly because some people suck real hard, and most people wouldn't even play with you unless you've ran it 10 times before you joined them. Not to mention, they look at your equipment a little and dismiss you so easily.

It does get repetitive, but so does Vindictus. That's what happens when everything is so instanced and grind heavy. F2P are mostly like that though. Only reason I played for longer than I thought though, was Teluna. Most of the story was meh, and characters were far from interesting, but she stood out. After her story ends, I just sort of gave up on the game.

Very subjective question. Some people like Diablo type, fast paced, real time combat. Others, like me, prefer longer, strategical battles like EQ used to have.

(her, more than anyone, you have to learn the bosses' intricacies.)

Lann very strongly disagrees. I stopped soon after Karok came out, but I had a Fiona, Evie, and Lann all at the level cap with maxed out skills (in the ones that mattered) all with +10 (or better) weapons. My Lann was the most geared (+12 spears, +13 swords, +5-7 armor) and by far the most difficult one to play well.

I was mistaken, Tera doesn't go F2p until the 5th of Feb.

You can technically start playing for free now with their trial account which I believe goes up to level 28 and those will be carried over when it goes F2P.

But if you want to start on the new servers (1 PVE and 1 PVP server will be launched) you need to wait until Feb 5th.

From what I understand Tera f2p should be less p2w and less restrictive compared to Vindictus.

Of all the current real time action combat MMOs released so far (until ArcheAge is released by Trion stateside), TERA has the best combat at the moment.

Guild Wars 2 would come second. And, surprisingly, FFXIV A Realm Reborn, Ragnarok Online 2 Open Beta, and a few other newer MMOs with real-time action combat I've tested and tried are using a very similar control scheme to GW2 from what I've played so far. Yes, FFXIV ARR has similar control scheme now to GW2, and the combat is very similar to GW2 right down to the camera controls (right-mouse button) and character movement (WASD keys).

I wish Tera had a memorable story. I know that's not what the thread is about, but until level 20 it was as generic as they come. The combat was freaking awesome though.

I wish Tera had a memorable story. I know that's not what the thread is about, but until level 20 it was as generic as they come. The combat was freaking awesome though.

Very much so.

The story isn't the greatest. The questing system is very much a WoW-clone-- utterly unmemorable and skippable text, collect X-amount and go from point A to B. Endgame are battlegrounds and dungeon grinding for the Tier 13 and 14 gear. Oh, let's not forget about the "dailies" (daily quests). You can get to level 60 within a week through hard grinding. It's pretty much WoW in many ways with a better combat system, graphics and similar crafting system, but a weaker story, 1-to-1 copy on questing, leveling, and endgame. And, unlike WoW, the armors are not unique when you get to T12 to T14 gear with very little customization stat-wise and the rest can be done through paying an NPC to re-skin them.

But, I have to admit, their item shop has quite some unique items:
http://store.enmasse.com/store/tera/html/pbPage.Novelty-Items/ThemeID.1994570#leotards

And, this is being released in Korea next month (and probably sometime in Spring for US shores):
http://synergyktera.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/new-emotes-ui/

(Yes, maid costumes for Elins with new emotes! :D )

I have a level 60 Human female Archer (primary character, "Reimi Saionji") and level 60 Elin Zerker (secondary character, "Usami Masamune") at the moment, just because nothing is more cuter than seeing something so small swing a giant axe.

Archer:

60_human_archer.png

Zerker:

60_elin_zerker.png

I've been playing since closed beta. I'm still playing just for a few reasons: Combat, Elins, and it's one of those games you don't care about its flaws but still find some fun in it. I'm on the PvE server.

Last edited:
Back