MMORPG Dilema

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have been playing Neverwinter Online for a while and really enjoying it.
For a while I ignored innocuous bugs that didn't seem to impact my playing or enjoying the game.

Then it happened. I bought some stuff that I grinded hard for to sell on the AH, as soon as I hit "BUY" all of the items I bought disappeared as well as my current cache of the same items in my inventory. I submitted a bug report to the GM and guess what? No support response. Not surprising, you get what you pay for.

Now the game is ruined for me.

I start looking for another game and just can't find what I am looking for. A sort of Syrim MMO. Something vast and beautiful. NWO wasn't all that special, but it had a certain something.

I know there have been some "recommend me a MMO" threads but I am not seeing the answer. Maybe something currently in beta will be better?
I submitted a request for Tree of Savior beta, but haven't heard back.

What is a nerd to do?

I like "The Secret World" because A. it's fun as hell and B. it's buy once and play forever. PM me your email and I'll send you a 72 hour trial.

:)

It still uses a subscription model, but Final Fantasy XIV may be up your alley.

There are a lot of "good" MMOs. I am looking for GREAT.

Well, I don't think there are any great ones out there right now. There are a number of good ones (Rift, WoW, The Secret World, Elder Scrolls Online, SWTOR) but nothing great, IMO.

I would try guild wars 2. Also blade and soul looks promising but I think that's coming out in January

I would try guild wars 2. Also blade and soul looks promising but I think that's coming out in January

I logged into GW2 recently after not playing for a LONG TIME.
I was amazed by how dated it looked.

Game never clicked with me and I found the community to be rotten.

Nowhere near what I am looking for.

I logged into GW2 recently after not playing for a LONG TIME.
I was amazed by how dated it looked.

Game never clicked with me and I found the community to be rotten.

Nowhere near what I am looking for.

I would agree with you on that. I bought it when it first came out and revisited it a bit later. Didn't really have any X factor that was gripping to it.

I would agree with you on that. I bought it when it first came out and revisited it a bit later. Didn't really have any X factor that was gripping to it.

yeah, maybe what I want will never exist. Maybe this is the insanity that Curt Shilling was dealing with.

ESO has the absolute worst banking/trading/selling system I've ever seen.
Zeni's genius idea made every guild pay/bid (blindly) enormous amounts of money to buy "Guild Traders" which are spread out in nearly every town.(They expire weekly)
Literally hundreds of these all over the world.

A. Can't search all items like an Auction House listing, so you have to manually go to each location seperately, to search for the deal/item you want.

B. This heavily monopolizes the economy to a few select vendors which are owned by a few selective guilds.

On topic with this thread, don't buy ESO thinking you're going to have a better time with the banking system. Maybe you won't lose items, but it's damn near impossible to make a good buck if you're not with an excellent guild trader location.

WoW has the best buyers/selling system I've ever used. I've always made a ton of gold with it. It's so easy.

Final Fantasy ARR also has a great banking/selling system.

Last edited:
Personally I can only play what you'd call "action" MMOs now. Things like TERA, Blade and Soul, and Black Desert. But I don't really know the current state of these games much. The next MMO I might try is Black Desert when it's out. Until then well, FO4 is out and still have Skyrim to play :p

For example I tried FFXIV ARR at launch, moved from TERA with the guild, and I was really bored with it. Tried ESO when it was open beta and same problem immediately.

But that's just what I'm looking for in a game. I mainly just want to run around explore, fight things, or socialize. Other aspects like trading is just a means to an end. I used to be into that stuff but I then realized you were basically just playing a spreadsheet game with graphics. Would've been better to play the markets in real life and make actual money :p

ESO has the absolute worst banking/trading/selling system I've ever seen.
Zeni's genius idea made every guild pay/bid (blindly) enormous amounts of money to buy "Guild Traders" which are spread out in nearly every town.(They expire weekly)
Literally hundreds of these all over the world.

A. Can't search all items like an Auction House listing, so you have to manually go to each location seperately, to search for the deal/item you want.

B. This heavily monopolizes the economy to a few select vendors which are owned by a few selective guilds.

On topic with this thread, don't buy ESO thinking you're going to have a better time with the banking system. Maybe you won't lose items, but it's damn near impossible to make a good buck if you're not with an excellent guild trader location.

WoW has the best buyers/selling system I've ever used. I've always made a ton of gold with it. It's so easy.

Final Fantasy ARR also has a great banking/selling system.

But I thought getting away from theme park MMOs and letting the players sandbox the metagame was what people were clamoring for?

Personally I can only play what you'd call "action" MMOs now. Things like TERA, Blade and Soul, and Black Desert. But I don't really know the current state of these games much. The next MMO I might try is Black Desert when it's out. Until then well, FO4 is out and still have Skyrim to play :p

For example I tried FFXIV ARR at launch, moved from TERA with the guild, and I was really bored with it. Tried ESO when it was open beta and same problem immediately.

But that's just what I'm looking for in a game. I mainly just want to run around explore, fight things, or socialize. Other aspects like trading is just a means to an end. I used to be into that stuff but I then realized you were basically just playing a spreadsheet game with graphics. Would've been better to play the markets in real life and make actual money :p

But I thought getting away from theme park MMOs and letting the players sandbox the metagame was what people were clamoring for?

In a game that requires dedicated guild members to work together to get stuff done, (Cyrodiil, dungeons, crafting mats, provisioning, complete gear sets, etc) it becomes necessary(almost required) to deal with the in-game money system.

You can definitely level up and not spend one dollar on another players for sale items, or spend one second trying to sell your own.
In fact you'll get by but you'll spend more time gathering useless stuff, when you can just buy it for cheap(or trade) and spend time on more profitable things.(Gear, bosses, level progression, exploring, etc.)
Instead of being able to focus entirely on the PVE or PVP side of the game, you eventually become swallowed up by its rather monopolized market.
ESO's economy is literally in shambles for using this new method.

IMHO, when it comes to in game currency(and making it), old methods work the best.

Last edited:
I will second the vote for The Secret World. It's not the prettiest, not the ugliest, but it has an interesting skill system and in several areas the storyline is actually quite good. I'm more of a PvE MMO guy, though, so if you're asking about PvP stuff (it has it of course and I think it's quite active) I have no idea. You pay once, play forever, and they have a number of expansions that can be bought in game if you want more content (but there's a /ton/ of content in the main game).

I keep meaning to go back and play it again, I was really in to it for a while, then just drifted away. Now that I have a new display and stronger GPUs (and no Crossfire -- TSW is /horrible/ with Crossfire, lots of UI glitches) I might fire it back up.

I also enjoyed Rift when I played it, but that was nearer to release; I understand there are expansions and things out now, and it has likely changed a lot.

I will second the vote for The Secret World. It's not the prettiest, not the ugliest, but it has an interesting skill system and in several areas the storyline is actually quite good. I'm more of a PvE MMO guy, though, so if you're asking about PvP stuff (it has it of course and I think it's quite active) I have no idea. You pay once, play forever, and they have a number of expansions that can be bought in game if you want more content (but there's a /ton/ of content in the main game)

The skill system in The Secret World seems really simple and repetitive, until you get to Savage Coast, and you get that, "Hey. Why am I getting my ass handed to me all the time" moment. Time to try different skills and actually figure out which work best together rather than just using what you got most recently. That's when you realize how good it is.

My favorite MMO remains Age of Conan. If the Conan universe is something that clicks with you, AoC is a great experience. It captures the essence of the Howard Conan stories very well with just the right blend of fantasy and reality, brutality and beauty. Environments, music, graphics, combat...it's all good.

I can sell you and ESO account cheap..pm me if interested..i will sell it for half the price i paid

Tera is ok...but wait for Black dessert..then every other MMOrpg game will be forgotten..and then there will be LOST ARK Hopefully in 2017 late i guess

Can you jump yet?

I only played the first time they made the game.
Yes, you can jump now. Though I don't see why that would be an issue. It didn't make sense in FFXI, and I don't think it does in FFXIV, either.

I have my Holy trinity of MMOs that i play.
#1 is FFXIV, story is AMAZING, minfilia is freaking hot, partying and raids are so so so much fun. Pvp is kinda shit.
2# GW2. the hours i have logged are pretty crazy and I love my twilight legendary. the expansion did alot of cool stuff and play it pretty consistantly.
#3: WoW. You cant ever really lose the urge to log in.

If there were any "great" MMOs in the last 5 years WoW would have been killed off. We probably won't see another great one either, it would take too much of an investment from a publisher to do. Blizzard themselves aren't even doing another one, they canned their Titan project a couple years ago, so that tells you all you need to know about the future of MMOs.

I thought Titan was killed because it wasn't possible on consoles, and Activision wanted a MMO on consoles as big as WOW.

Anyway, I don't think we'll ever move past this era of relatively mediocre MMO releases until WOW is finally in the grave and publishers are willing to actually innovate for once instead of trying to replicate WOW's success.

Back