MMO with most people playing?

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Which MMO out there with a free to play benefit has the largest population?

I think WarCraft isn't free to play so that it out.

Thanks.

Rift, SW:ToR, or LotRO.

I like Rift the most out of these.

I suppose there really isn't a way to absolutely find out.

I'm asking because I recently logged on ESO and there wasn't anyone.

Neverwinter is still packed. Rift is pmuch dead. LOTRO still has decent community, Ive heard SW:TOR still is kicking but i havent logged into that in over a year.

I suppose there really isn't a way to absolutely find out.

I'm asking because I recently logged on ESO and there wasn't anyone.

What platform are you playing on?

I'm on PC and I see tons of people running around, and I'm on the faction with the least amount of people.

That's a cool list you provided.

Funny how all of the top "MMORPG'S" now have INSTANCES. I remember playing Ultima Online back in the day....I had great fear that instances would catch on and now they have

Hey everyone...let's all play a massively multiplayer online game, but I want to be able to have my own single-player game within the game...what???? Online innovation stagnant for 15 years

I like instances. I hate waiting on shit to respawn. I hate competing with people for resources. I don't mind seeing people running around doing their own shit in towns or even around the game world so long as it doesn't interfere with what I'm doing. With instances I can group with people and interact with them if I want to.

I'd say SW:TOR, LOTR: online, and even The Secret World might have decent player bases in them (maybe TSW because how it uses one server).

I like instances. I hate waiting on shit to respawn. I hate competing with people for resources. I don't mind seeing people running around doing their own shit in towns or even around the game world so long as it doesn't interfere with what I'm doing. With instances I can group with people and interact with them if I want to.

Beauty of UO was that:

Resources didn't spawn in random "nodes" that forced people to "compete" for ones that randomly pop up.

You want ore? You went to a mine where there logically was ore (Who'd think it!). You want wood? Well there's forests, with trees, you chopped the trees. You didn't have to wait for some super-magical "Tree" that randomly spawned.

You are probably talking about EQ more in terms of what you didn't like, with it's rare-spawns and super-long respawn times on things that literally could have you waiting behind other people for HOURS to (hopefully) get the spawn you are looking for.

UO was awesome

I really like isometric type MMO's, Ragnarok Online, Lineage (the blood pledge) and UO were all favorites of mine. Legend of Mir for a bit, too.

I respect your opinion on instances, and you're obviously in the majority based on game popularity over the last 15-20 years...BUT, what you're talking about isn't really a massively multiplayer game. It's more of a single-player game.

I've always been kind of hoping for innovation regarding how everyone can co-exist on one server in one world with high levels of interactivity.

Instances ruined MMO's. It has turned them into lobby based multiplayer games at end game.

I'd say SW:TOR, LOTR: online, and even The Secret World might have decent player bases in them (maybe TSW because how it uses one server).

Beauty of UO was that:

Resources didn't spawn in random "nodes" that forced people to "compete" for ones that randomly pop up.

You want ore? You went to a mine where there logically was ore (Who'd think it!). You want wood? Well there's forests, with trees, you chopped the trees. You didn't have to wait for some super-magical "Tree" that randomly spawned.

You are probably talking about EQ more in terms of what you didn't like, with it's rare-spawns and super-long respawn times on things that literally could have you waiting behind other people for HOURS to (hopefully) get the spawn you are looking for.

Star Wars Galaxies did resources well too. You had to survey for minerals, find an area with a good concentration and then build an extractor. Then as others discovered the area they would put one down too, eventually you had a field full of mining equipment. The resource maps would change every so often keeping things fresh without being too much of a time sink.

My swtor server seems fairly busy. It is worth it to sub for a month if you have the free time. They have 12x exp for just the class stories going on for subs I've done two classes and working on a third over the past 3 weeks. You can skip all the planet story lines or not. So leveling is super easy and fast right now.

TERA is still fun once you get to level 20 and can do groups instances. Otherwise its "go here, kill X amount of Y" type of quests, which can get boring at times.
People everywhere. Kills my frame rate when I get to a town with hundreds of people(there is a memory leak issue here too...EDIT:disable controllers and it wont happen. http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/foru...playing-1-Hoursome-kind-of-memory-leak?page=3).
Free and on Steam too.

Last edited:
currently I'm dedicated exclusively to LOTRO and SW:TOR both have a decent amount of people playing. specially SW:TOR..

LOTRO it's actually in a server merge/transfer so soon it will only available 5 USA servers and 5 EU servers fully populated.

I haven't played SW:TOR sinc elaunch, but my character seems to have been moved to a different server (one that is no where near the most populated atm), didn't they have free server transfers? I can't seem to transfer unless I pay for it :(.

I don't think the experience offered by Vanilla World of Warcraft in its prime has been rivaled. I would gladly pay to get that back. When I think back to what a tremendous experience and adventure that game offered, it makes me sad to think it is essentially over. Meeting people in the game, adventuring with people. I started up with Warlords but it is not the same. It feels more isolated and you aren't tripping over interesting people and adventures. I have met one person so far who had some kind of agenda and needed my signature for a guild. I wonder if an RPG server would be better. I dunno.

I haven't played SW:TOR sinc elaunch, but my character seems to have been moved to a different server (one that is no where near the most populated atm), didn't they have free server transfers? I can't seem to transfer unless I pay for it :(.

I don't know if they had free transfers or not. I believe they did within a specific window. I've been a subscriber since launch and never had a free transfer. I think the only people that did were APAC players who got those transfers as a result of their servers being completely shut down.

I believe the transfers are only 90 cartel coins which isn't a lot of money. Which server were you thinking about going to?

The problem I see now with MMO's is the LFG or LFR finder that has literally wiped any social interaction with strangers. It's look at a menu click and boom your in the instance. This eliminates any sort of exploration or social interaction especially cross server grouping

The vanilla wow comments make me think of this....

x497.jpg.pagespeed.ic.IZyXnys_sa.jpg

I still remember EQ at launch, dying and your gear all dropping to the ground and having to run back for it naked....

At this point, LoTRO or SW:TOR would be my two first choices to try. I enjoyed both myself and still go back now and then.

Last edited:
For several years after the Kunark expansion of EQ, if you were a cleric and wanted your epic weapon, you would get on your server's waitlist for killing Zordak Ragefire, who had a respawn timer of up to 72 hours. When waitlists on some servers hit 18 months, devs relented and gave that particular chokepoint an easy button.

I don't know if they had free transfers or not. I believe they did within a specific window. I've been a subscriber since launch and never had a free transfer. I think the only people that did were APAC players who got those transfers as a result of their servers being completely shut down.

I believe the transfers are only 90 cartel coins which isn't a lot of money. Which server were you thinking about going to?

My characters from launch are on prophecy of the five which seems to be no where near the population as a server like the Harbringer.

Though from what I am looking at it seems like no PVP servers are that populated anymore?

Taht's why I was thinking of transferring to Harbinger for the new expansion dropping in October or so for subscribers.

My characters from launch are on prophecy of the five which seems to be no where near the population as a server like the Harbringer.

Though from what I am looking at it seems like no PVP servers are that populated anymore?

Taht's why I was thinking of transferring to Harbinger for the new expansion dropping in October or so for subscribers.

I play a healer type in all MMO. I do have SWTOR and a scoundrel healer from way way way back. If I fired her up again what is a good to great populated server? I'm not hard core arena pvp, but I do like jumping in battle grounds (I know that's the the term used in SWTOR). I'd sub for a bit. New expansion in October? Maybe a great time to check it out again. What's a good website for it these.days?

There may be an error with my ESO files, that may be preventing my seeing other toons.

I'm also considering D3 just to play.

I play a healer type in all MMO. I do have SWTOR and a scoundrel healer from way way way back. If I fired her up again what is a good to great populated server? I'm not hard core arena pvp, but I do like jumping in battle grounds (I know that's the the term used in SWTOR). I'd sub for a bit. New expansion in October? Maybe a great time to check it out again. What's a good website for it these.days?

There may be an error with my ESO files, that may be preventing my seeing other toons.

I'm also considering D3 just to play.

I'm no really the person to answer this, I haven't played SW:TOR since a couple months after launch.

I was interested in coming back because of the Fallen Empire expansion coming out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A

Was using this site to gauge the population health of the servers:
http://www.torstatus.net/

Harbinger seems the most populated.

Instances ruined MMO's. It has turned them into lobby based multiplayer games at end game.

Honestly, I actually don't like MMOs. What you describe and the Star Wars theme are probably why this is the only MMO I've stuck with.

I respect your opinion on instances, and you're obviously in the majority based on game popularity over the last 15-20 years...BUT, what you're talking about isn't really a massively multiplayer game. It's more of a single-player game.

I've always been kind of hoping for innovation regarding how everyone can co-exist on one server in one world with high levels of interactivity.

Traditional MMOs almost force social interaction which I don't care for. It's fine if I have the option, but any game I have to spend a monthly fee on should give me more of an option to do most shit on my terms. The truth is SWTOR at least is actually friendly to both play styles for the most part. Shadow of Revan isn't, but it makes up a fraction of the overall game. SWTOR players may not be like other MMO players in that it seems they scream for more and more solo and story content. That's what the next expansion is supposed to deliver.

Star Wars Galaxies did resources well too. You had to survey for minerals, find an area with a good concentration and then build an extractor. Then as others discovered the area they would put one down too, eventually you had a field full of mining equipment. The resource maps would change every so often keeping things fresh without being too much of a time sink.

Mechanically Galaxies did a few things right. I think it got more wrong than right though. It felt more cyber punk than like Star Wars. The game was also about as much fun as setting up group policies in active directory. Games with complex mechanics aren't awesome because they are complex. They have to at their core be fun games. Combat, getting buffs, and simple things were painful in that game. Waiting 10 minutes for a fucking shuttle made me want to hang myself.

My swtor server seems fairly busy. It is worth it to sub for a month if you have the free time. They have 12x exp for just the class stories going on for subs I've done two classes and working on a third over the past 3 weeks. You can skip all the planet story lines or not. So leveling is super easy and fast right now.

Some of the servers are busy. 12x XP rocks. I actually don't like MMOs, but enjoy progression raiding. I do like the stories for each of the classes as they basically play like any BioWare RPG which is a good thing. So I've run through a lot of that stuff because of 12x XP. I don't have to do bullshit planet quests which I've already done several times and I don't have to PvP my way through the leveling process which is the only way I could stand it outside 12x XP.

The problem I see now with MMO's is the LFG or LFR finder that has literally wiped any social interaction with strangers. It's look at a menu click and boom your in the instance. This eliminates any sort of exploration or social interaction especially cross server grouping

Honestly, SWTOR sucked ass without group finder. It took way too long to get groups. It still does unless you do "tactical flashpoints." The traditional tank / healer / 2x DPS model for flashpoints doesn't work all that well in the sense that so many people can't seem to understand the gearing in the game and there are few tanks and healers. DPS can wait in the queue for hours. Interestingly enough, to combat this somewhat on Harbinger there is a specific opschan channel which allows people to find groups a little more easily. So the social interaction part of it has actually come back somewhat because of group finder's limitations.

POT5 has an OK population. Nothing like Harbinger. The problem with Harbinger is that it houses APAC players and the bulk of the player base. It's the worst performing and least reliable server as a result. Although, it has been better on both counts lately.

Whoa. That's an intro. Nice.

Indeed it is. So far things are shaping up in the expansion. There are a lot of changes being planned.

Are you on Harbinger?

What I enjoyed most about SW:TOR (when I played it) were teh group-story quests, the ones where it was presented like a bioware style storyquest with dialogue/voice acting and choices to make. however I found there to be waaaaaaay too few of these, I thought these were the "Bread and butter" style the game did better then other mmo's but at release there were but a few and usually far apart.

Have they added many more?

What is APAC? Is that a guild? As a returning player what server would you recommend?

I am on Shadowlands. From what I can tell it falls in the mid to upper population. Fleet is always busy. I have rarely been alone when leveling these past few weeks. But it also hasn't been overcrowded which is perfect for me. I play mostly solo but the few times I did group were fast and people were friendly enough. Also appeared to be a lot going on in chat.

As fast as the exp gain is right now you can hop on any server see what it is like and move on if you don't like it. I abandoned a sith warrior in his 30's because I decided I didn't like how he looked and wanted to go with a different race for that class. Took me a few evenings to get that progress back but wasn't painful at all.

I started playing Project 1999 (Everquest through Velious) recently. My wife has started playing with me too. We're having a good time with it mostly because the downtime between fights is when all the social interaction takes place. That's why it's fun. It's also not stupid easy. There is a real price for dieing.

P99 is definitely not what most people are playing, but the population is good. It's usually around 1,000 people on the blue (non-PVP) server.

Are you on Harbinger?

What I enjoyed most about SW:TOR (when I played it) were teh group-story quests, the ones where it was presented like a bioware style storyquest with dialogue/voice acting and choices to make. however I found there to be waaaaaaay too few of these, I thought these were the "Bread and butter" style the game did better then other mmo's but at release there were but a few and usually far apart.

Have they added many more?

Yes, I am on Harbinger. I am not specifically certain what you are talking about. If you are asking about story content, there is tons more of it than their used to be. If you haven't played since launch you've missed the 10 new raids, and god knows how many flashpoints. There are also several new planets, although some of those are short. Not all of them are. Storylines such as the Dread Master story line that starts on Belsavis are continued.

What is APAC? Is that a guild? As a returning player what server would you recommend?

Asian Pacific servers. Harbinger is a good place to go. Either that or Jedi Covenant. I believe those are the two largest PvE servers. Bastion was the largest PvP server but I believe it's seen some population decreases. Many Bastion players have come to Harbinger. There have been huge population shifts lately because BioWare ran a special on server transfers. So entire guilds have shuffled around since then.

I'm glad there are different MMOs for people with different tastes. Personally, I'm about the polar opposite of what Dan D just mentioned.

I actually like to wait for shuttles for 10 minutes. Gives me time to plan out what I want to do. Talk to a few other people who are also waiting for shuttles and gives a sense of immersion.

But then again I like mmos where not every inch of the map has mobs in it. I find it incredibility boring to whack buttons endless to get through quest hubs only to move 20 feet down the road to do it again... Like everybody in the game world is completely helpless and needs someone to do their chores every 10 feet with a big ! above their heads.

Less is more in a lot of ways. But different strokes for different folks.

Back