MLID shouts out [H]ardocp - AMD’s fake MSRP

The YouTuber claims that Radeon Team essentially bribed its closest AIBs (PowerColor and XFX) to sell the RX 6500 XT at its MSRP of $200 on launch day, thereafter allowing them and the rest of the board partners to push the prices up to $250. AMD expects the GPU to return to its MSRP of $200 by the end of summer, but for the time being, the plan is to make as much money as possible.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-m...at-launch-day-hiking-price-to-250-thereafter/

Where's all the outrage about this? Had something similar been reported about either competitors, the post here would be flying...

In any case, it doesn't surprise me at all. I'm more surprised there were suckers believing the $200 "MSRP" to begin with.

Where's all the outrage about this? Had something similar been reported about either competitors, the post here would be flying...

In any case, it doesn't surprise me at all. I'm more surprised there were suckers believing the $200 "MSRP" to begin with.
I think we’re past outrage at this point, I mean we all knew that we wouldn’t see them at that price beyond the initial shipments because <insert any of the multitude of reasons that have cropped up over the last 2 years> so the fact that they actually cost more than that and the stated MSRP is more a long term goal and not a current fact is disappointing but certainly not shocking.
Shits crazy right now, and we’re too tired to get angry, I think most of us saw that MSRP and said something along the lines of “the fuck they smoking if they think it’s staying that price for more than 15 minutes”

I think we’re past outrage at this point, I mean we all knew that we wouldn’t see them at that price beyond the initial shipments because <insert any of the multitude of reasons that have cropped up over the last 2 years> so the fact that they actually cost more than that and the stated MSRP is more a long term goal and not a current fact is disappointing but certainly not shocking.
Shits crazy right now, and we’re too tired to get angry, I think most of us saw that MSRP and said something along the lines of “the fuck they smoking if they think it’s staying that price for more than 15 minutes”
His point is this. If it was Nvidia reported doing this, it would blow the fuck up around here like Watergate.

And then everyone would turn around and buy every card NVIDIA could make, just like after GPP. "Your "boo's" mean nothing, I've seen what makes you cheer," comes to mind.
Oh, for sure. People LOVE to hear themselves bitch, but it won't stop them from buying.

Reactions: kac77
like this
So I can choose between a 6 year old GTX 1030 with 4GB DDR5 of memory for $250 or I can choose a brand new 6500 card with 4GB DDR6 of memory for $250. And I should be mad about the new card? Want to make sure I have my outrage properly aligned.

like this
Well, well, well. Tried to tell folks that AMD was just another publicly owned company. Gotta make that money one way or the other. They just want your money and they aren't your buddy. Just like all the others.

Well, well, well. Tried to tell folks that AMD was just another publicly owned company. Gotta make that money one way or the other. They just want your money and they aren't your buddy. Just like all the others.
Yeah, everyone thought AMD was some "savior" for some reason as if they aren't also some massive corporation looking to part you from your money.

Found a Trio of old ATI Rage cards in my bits bin, rebuilding the PSU in the P3-700 box I found in a crawl space trying to see if they work.
When the western world turns in '90s Russia those old systems will be the only thing still running long-term TBH.

The hyperbole is strong with this thread...I think the number of amd fanbois is much smaller than "everyone" as demonstrated by the very ones posting in this thread.

like this
Outrage was long ago, when MSRP meant nothing for either AMD or Nvidia, people still bought in droves anyway.

If I browsed reddit I probably wouldn't be a member of this forum. Either I'd be disgusted by everyone here or I'd be banned, probably. That said, this isn't reddit, and reddit is full of rabbid consumers... what do you expect?
It is, you are right. But does provide evidence towards the idea of AMD fanboys being a thing outside this forum/thread.

Found a Trio of old ATI Rage cards in my bits bin, rebuilding the PSU in the P3-700 box I found in a crawl space trying to see if they work.
I have about 40 thousand of those, if you ever want some legitimately.

I’m good with the 3, my current issue is waiting for the ISA to SATA card I ordered not being here that and finding a functional windows 98SE CD….
I'll look around for that cd. I have at least one. ISA to SATA eh, never really thought about trying that.

I have IDE hard drives as well.

I'll look around for that cd. I have at least one. ISA to SATA eh, never really thought about trying that.

I have IDE hard drives as well.
I really want to avoid spinning drives. I’ve contacted my Microsoft rep and they think they may be able to get an ISO and key added to my VLSC account.

This guys been ordered but according to the tracking info it’s somewhere in the Atlantic.

https://www.startech.com/en-ca/hdd/ide2sat2

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Look up installing windows 98 on an SSD. If I remember correctly, it doesn't work well.
Supposedly that adapter handles the language barrier fairly well. But I have to tweak windows registry otherwise it will attempt to do all the things it would do to keep a spindle drive healthy that will just eat the SSD.

I thought most people were using IDE -> Compact flash adapters and installing windows on the CF card for older OS.

I thought most people were using IDE -> Compact flash adapters and installing windows on the CF card for older OS.
I don't know about that, but I do know I have a crapload of older Kingston 64 and 128GB SSD's in a drawer in my office and thought hey maybe these could work.

The ERA recently determined that I am too remote for them to offer free pickup of the pallets of electronic recycling we generate each year so I have taken to finding creative ways to reuse or donate it.

There are complications with selling things purchased with government or public funding so much easier to give it away locally than trying to sell it.

Not gonna lie this project is mostly fueled out of boredom and a sense of "Hey, shit! I haven't seen one of these in 20 years"

Best I can tell from the old ass Dell tower I found it has been used as a stool in the crawl space by the various HVAC techs and electricians that have been working down there to repair the systems for the past decade-plus. It was filthy inside and out except for a decent butt print on the top which is noticeably less dirty.

Last edited:
Since AMD finally passed Intel in market cap is it time to make Intel my "buddy?"

The YouTuber claims that Radeon Team essentially bribed its closest AIBs (PowerColor and XFX) to sell the RX 6500 XT at its MSRP of $200 on launch day, thereafter allowing them and the rest of the board partners to push the prices up to $250. AMD expects the GPU to return to its MSRP of $200 by the end of summer, but for the time being, the plan is to make as much money as possible.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-m...at-launch-day-hiking-price-to-250-thereafter/
Of course they did/are. Furthers my point that MSRP should thus be known as MSAP (Manufacturers Suggested Advertising Price).

The 6500 XT is a shit card at any price.

Maybe one day things will return to normal.

Yeah, everyone thought AMD was some "savior" for some reason as if they aren't also some massive corporation looking to part you from your money.
I can't speak for everyone, but for myself I saw AMD being competitive against Intel is a net good for consumers. Look at the 12400, selling for $170 and beating the 5600X which even with the MC sale is still $230. Really hoping the newer Intel chips force AMD to reevaluate Zen 4s price point.

Back