MLAA is a game changer.

ok cool, i'm curious to try it out.

i really miss the softness of my crt, maybe this will bring back some good crt memories, lol.

I hope it does- looks fantastic in the games I've tried so far (UT3, Mass Effect 2, Dirt 2 and Starcraft2)

Also, and this was a bit unclear to me at first, you can have AA on or off independent of MLAA. If you don't want regular AA you can still have MLAA by itself. Together they yield some pretty impressive results in some games but make others look really strange.

I noticed this isn't in the 10.10 drivers. Should I update my drivers to the 10.10d to get this? Should I move to the 10.10d drivers anyways or wait for the 10.11?

I noticed this isn't in the 10.10 drivers. Should I update my drivers to the 10.10d to get this? Should I move to the 10.10d drivers anyways or wait for the 10.11?

Yes- move to 10.10d for it. They're working great for me ;-)

Just saw a friend running his 6870 with MLAA on and all I can say is I want one. Cmon AMD release Cayman already.

Just saw a friend running his 6870 with MLAA on and all I can say is I want one. Cmon AMD release Cayman already.

Indeed. I may sell this and switch when it's released if it is fast enough. My cousin took one look at GTA IV and said, "Welp I know what I'm buying myself for xmas!"

He has a GTX 285 running perfectly with not one single complaint, but for him MLAA is a game changer too. ;)

Indeed. I may sell this and switch when it's released if it is fast enough. My cousin took one look at GTA IV and said, "Welp I know what I'm buying myself for xmas!"

I'd really like to see a screen of GTAIV with this on if someone wouldn't mind posting one.

MLAA is definitely pretty cool. I think Mass Effect 2 looks better with it.. although, I could be imagining things.

Speaking of ME, added more ME pics and will add some ME2 ones later on. Both games definitely benefit from MLAA in a big way.

i would really like to see a comparison between the 6870 using MLAA against the 480 and 580 using their AA image quality wise equivalents.
this would really let us know if this feature would really be a real world gameplay changer.

too bad no one has done this comparison yet. kudos to [H] for the MLAA review but i still dont know if this feature alone is enough make me choose an AMD solution against and Nvidia one.

it looks pretty good, i like how gta4 and batman aa look with it. I think for normal aa games, i'll just stick with the typical 4x aa settings. I don't really like how it blurs text. i'll just be toggling mlaa when i need it.

Just posted some stalker pics (lossy, can't grab lossless sorry) and I've been playing it for the better part of the evening and I've just got to say again that MLAA really makes a huge difference in gameplay enjoyment. It does. I only have had a few graphical glitches and even then only the really minor ones were related to MLAA. Some games have more serious issues but Stalker and Mass Effect perform VERY well and benefit a great deal, as does SFIV. I'm liking MLAA more as I use it, not less. :)

For some reason the check box for MLAA in CCC is not there. I have 10.10d, I've tried uninstalling, using driversweeper, reinstalling to 10.10c and 10.10d and nothing. I guess other people are having the same problem. Is MLAA defaulted on??

Here's a thread on guru3d regarding the issue

http://85.12.17.139/showthread.php?p=3766119

Does Battlefield 1942 support FSAA? If not! I would love to see what this looks like under MLAA! :)

This won't affect any 2D games would it? Like C&C: Tiberium Sun, etc... ?

Does Battlefield 1942 support FSAA? If not! I would love to see what this looks like under MLAA! :)

Should support any since it grabs the buffer before it's rendered.

It affects even Java games and windows media player. :p (not kidding) In some games MLAA is amazing.

The check box wasn't visible for me until I installed the D hotfix and rebooted (with a 6800 series card, its not official for 5xxx and 4xxx yet if it ever will be so you have to hack it for those).

Last edited:
The check box wasn't visible for me until I installed the D hotfix and rebooted (with a 6800 series card, its not official for 5xxx and 4xxx yet if it ever will be so you have to hack it for those).

I have Vista64 and I think that might have something to do with it. I really want to try out MLAA :(

Well, just wanted to chime in and say that requiem sold the tech to me so to speak heheh.

Just sent the international order for my 6850, with how crappy my timing was and it all i think that i will be seeing it in ~1month at worst, 2 weeks at best guesstimate.

Mwahaha now if only there was a way to get kickbacks for this. :D

More screenshots coming tonight. Got some requests for Oblivion so that is next on the list.

Okay, so we've established that screenshots show a beneficial effect. Applying a 'blur' filter to every frame is actually an improvement considering the limited resolution and texture quality that's often used. Color me impressed.

My question is whether the alleged horrible input lag makes it unplayable in first person shooters.

My question is whether the alleged horrible input lag makes it unplayable in first person shooters.

I've been using MLAA since the first hacked drivers were released and I've yet to notice any lag. I think it's going to be dependent on the individual person. If you're extremely sensitive to any kind of lag(like with triple buffering) then you might feel something, but most people can't feel any difference.

I'm very sensitive to lag and stutter and I've noticed nothing beyond what is typical with ATI video cards in most games. If you don't think ATI has any stuttering problems then you couldn't possibly detect any from MLAA.

More screenshots coming today or tonight hopefully, been too busy actually playing games to keep updating regularly.

I've tested MLAA on games like Civ and WoW and quite frankly it's handles small text horribly. I suspect MLAA works better on console ports and other games that use large font sizes.

Okay, so we've established that screenshots show a beneficial effect. Applying a 'blur' filter to every frame is actually an improvement considering the limited resolution and texture quality that's often used. Color me impressed.

I'm not sensitive to input lag, but tried to see if MLAA affected my aim or precision jump/timed jumps in games. No change with or without MLAA. This was with 5870 and hacked drivers.

Stalker Clear Sky with complete mod looks increadible with MLAA btw. Ingame AA is bad in this game and with MLAA it looks so much more polished. If you haven't tried MLAA yet, I would recommend you try with that game first! :)

I've tested MLAA on games like Civ and WoW and quite frankly it's handles small text horribly. I suspect MLAA works better on console ports and other games that use large font sizes.

yeah, the text killed it for me. if i looked close enough, things even look like they're wiggling a bit :eek:

i'll stll use it for games that don't support any other type of aa, it's nice to clean up gta4 a bit and unreal engine games.

Yes MLAA is bad for strategy games or games heavy on text, it does indeed make text "wiggle" because its a full screen filter. Some games wiggle more than others. ;)

As I test more and more games I'm starting to realize that MLAA makes a significant difference only for a very specific type of game. Action games, most RPGs, sports games (including motorsport), and a few other types involving first or third person POV really benefit from MLAA.

However MLAA seems useless in sims and strategy games, I haven't found one yet from either genre that benefits from it at all. Plus I'm running into numerous driver problems with games I'm really hot to play with MLAA enabled so it is souring me a bit on ATI. Some of these problems have solutions (really irritating solutions) but many do not, so I'm back on the fence again about keeping the 6870 or not. Still, I'm going to give it another couple weeks at least before I decide.

As I test more and more games I'm starting to realize that MLAA makes a significant difference only for a very specific type of game. Action games, most RPGs, sports games (including motorsport), and a few other types involving first or third person POV really benefit from MLAA.

However MLAA seems useless in sims and strategy games, I haven't found one yet from either genre that benefits from it at all. Plus I'm running into numerous driver problems with games I'm really hot to play with MLAA enabled so it is souring me a bit on ATI. Some of these problems have solutions (really irritating solutions) but many do not, so I'm back on the fence again about keeping the 6870 or not. Still, I'm going to give it another couple weeks at least before I decide.

If you look at your argument you'll see that the usual most FPS and performance intensive games are the ones that MLAA works best in and it's the sims and strategy games (where smooth motion and FPS is not usually as big an issue as it's usually a static 2D or isomorphic perspective) where MLAA is not needed.and you can just throw on regular 4x AA.

Therefore, I think MLAA addresses exactly what gamers need it for.

It has nothing to do with framerate it's entirely the nature of the scene being rendered and the improvements being made to bring more immersion to the gamer. You can throw on 4xAA anyway and still use MLAA on top of it for an even stronger overall effect but this looks wrong in some games (but amazing in others). If I had to describe how MLAA improves the experience in actual gameplay I would say that it brings balance to the rendered scene. We need more MLAA-like filters that are widely compatible with games. Moto GP 2 had some amazing filters you could unlock and I always wondered why more games didn't do that.

PS: anyone notice that MLAA works on video?

Still experiencing horrible input lag with MLAA enabled in Catalyst 10.10e.

It's making first person shooters compleatly unplayable. Some games (such as Halo) even began hitching with MLAA enabled.

Seems it's only good for screenshots :(

Still experiencing horrible input lag with MLAA enabled in Catalyst 10.10e.

It's making first person shooters compleatly unplayable. Some games (such as Halo) even began hitching with MLAA enabled.

Seems it's only good for screenshots :(

I haven't noticed that problem with my setup. In fact I'm running a GTX 260 right now because I got so fed up with Oblivion giving me framerate problems I just had to find out if it was ATI's fault the entire time.

Thankfully, it wasn't. GD Oblivion... never had these problems when I beat the game to death with my 8800. Time to go pop the 6870 back in my rig and continue testing...

I actually thought MLAA worked pretty nicely on Starcraft 2.

I actually thought MLAA worked pretty nicely on Starcraft 2.

It works but it adds nothing. Same with Supreme Commander, IL2 Sturmovik, warcraft 3, League of legends, Anno 1701/1404, Tropico 3, I could go on for a while like this. If you actually zoom in close you can see some effects but who zooms in close and stops to look closely at the units in a strategy game? In a RPG or a FPS you are constantly being confronted with hundreds of close-up objects and models which benefit hugely from MLAA.

Edit: And "immersion" factor of course. Not really a consideration with the godlike isometric or top-down view that you spend 90%+ of a strategy game locked into.

It works but it adds nothing. Same with Supreme Commander, IL2 Sturmovik, warcraft 3, League of legends, Anno 1701/1404, Tropico 3, I could go on for a while like this. If you actually zoom in close you can see some effects but who zooms in close and stops to look closely at the units in a strategy game? In a RPG or a FPS you are constantly being confronted with hundreds of close-up objects and models which benefit hugely from MLAA.

Edit: And "immersion" factor of course. Not really a consideration with the godlike isometric or top-down view that you spend 90%+ of a strategy game locked into.

I don't know- it was pretty clear to me that the edges or the crystals and Nexus particularly were much smoother without the jaggies they normally have. not necessary, obviously, but I thought it looks really good.

I don't know- it was pretty clear to me that the edges or the crystals and Nexus particularly were much smoother without the jaggies they normally have. not necessary, obviously, but I thought it looks really good.

And that's all that matters! MLAA is absolutely a personal thing, some people will love it in some games, some will only like it in others, and some will hate it no matter what. I personally think the best effect I've seen with it so far is Stalker and GTA IV though. Pretty severe difference in those games. Aurora based games and ones that reuse a lot of that code seem to love it too especially when you combine it with 4xAA (KOTOR 1/2, Mass effect 1/2, DAO, Alpha Protocol, Witcher, NWN2, et al).

And that's all that matters! MLAA is absolutely a personal thing, some people will love it in some games, some will only like it in others, and some will hate it no matter what. I personally think the best effect I've seen with it so far is Stalker and GTA IV though. Pretty severe difference in those games. Aurora based games and ones that reuse a lot of that code seem to love it too especially when you combine it with 4xAA (KOTOR 1/2, Mass effect 1/2, DAO, Alpha Protocol, Witcher, NWN2, et al).

Agreed. And Mass Effect 2 looks AWESOME with it.

Back