Mixing single and double side ram ?

MindBuster

2[H]4U
I had 2x2gb ram that was bought in 2009, some crucial ddr3 1333 plain ram that were doublesided, but now I bought an additional 2x2gb kit with exactly the same part number (CT2KIT25664BA1339) which are singlesided, and that annoys me, as I dont know if it will cause any problems/slowdowns, I remember it could be a problem with old ddr2 ram.

I havent tested much, but the 4gb ramdrive I set up seems awfully slow compared to speeds other ramdisk users have posted, I'm getting 700-800mb/sec using crystaldiskmark, where other ppl get 7000+.

Is it a problem with the "mixed" ram ? if so, crucial shouldnt name the kits the same when they arent.

Just bought another kit of the same exact ram and I noticed this also.

Pretty much only info I've dug up on it so far -
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr3-4gb-p55,2462-7.html
NOTE: Crucial has began filling its CT2KIT25664BA1339 packages with single-sided memory at twice the density. Because older LGA-775 DDR3 motherboards cannot accept the higher density, they will continue selling these award winning modules under a revised part number, CT2KIT25664BA1339A.

I haven't had any problems yet on my 880GM board other than failed attempts to run at 1600 (but that could be because I haven't bothered trying to up the NB voltage, only the vdimm).
My DS kit was bought at MC, the kit that ended up being SS was bought at NewEgg. Neither store has discrepancies on which kit you're buying; neither has an "A" at the end. I may end up buying another kit at MC and return the singles to NE; I'm not sure.

I'm running mine on a LGA-1156 board (gigabyte p55-ud3), and mine doesnt mention the "A" either.

Unfortunatly I had mine laying around for 2 weeks before installing them, so cant return them as there is nothing wrong with them as such, the kit works, just dunno how well they work paired with an old kit.

Back