Mixing Ram

h0mez

Limp Gawd
I have a dual cpu setup, is it okay to say put 4 4gb sticks on one side, and 5 4gb sticks on the other? What are the cons of doing this? It seems to run fine.

There aren't really any major cons to doing this. Depending on what cpu (and motherboard) you have, running 2 dimms per can make the ram run at a slower speed, its usually just one speed level down so if the ram was running at 1600MHz at 1 dimm per channel it would then run at 1333MHz if 2 dimms per channel are used (all the ram, even on the channels that still only have 1 dimm). If your worried about this you can always check in the bios to see what speed the memory is running at.

I dont mean running 2 dimms per channel, i mean running 2 dimms on 1 CPU, and 3, 4,5 dimms on the other.

Lets says I have 1 stick of each of the following, 4gb, 8gb, 16gb and i want to use them all in a dual cpu machine. Is there negative to doing something 1 cpu has the 16gb stick, and the other has the 4gb and 8gb stick

Yes, it should still work but you will not get full throughput, the memory controller is designed to either work in triple (lga 1366/1356) or quad channel mode (opteron 6xxx,E5 vx). I.e max speed can only be gained if all 3/4 slots are populated by the same size/speed ram - this is why most memory come as a dual/triple/quad channel kit. If you have older hardware then it may not make much of a difference

Back