Mixing different timings of DDR2

sonicboom

Limp Gawd
My old q6600 was running fine untill last night when it bsod'd for the first time in a couple of years. I lost the oc, and one of my 4 ddr2 800 gskill ram sticks. I've tested all 4 , identified the bad one and decided to remove its matching pair - leaving me with 4 gigs. I do however have another 2.x2 gig Mushkin ddr2 800 sticks- brand new from another pc.
The gskills are 5-5-5-15 @1.8-1.9v., the Mushkin 5-5-5-18@ 1.8v. If I manually set the Bios timings to the Mushkin settings, would I have any issues over-clocking back up again?

You'll have to try and see, but it really should work fine if nothing is wrong with the RAM. I have seen many mixed systems that work without problems.

You won't have problems but it will run at the slower timings of the slower RAM (Mushkin in this case.)

From what I've read in other forums, mixing RAMs especially mixing timings are a no no.

From what I've read in other forums, mixing RAMs especially mixing timings are a no no.

This can be fine. The BIOS should reduce the fastest ram to the slowest RAM's timings. Mixing voltages can get you into more trouble since all dimms must get the same voltage.

This can be fine. The BIOS should reduce the fastest ram to the slowest RAM's timings. Mixing voltages can get you into more trouble since all dimms must get the same voltage.

So I take as long as the voltage are the same, the timings will just a default to the same?

Cool, well that clarifies some things. But cant you also set lets say one of the RAM is 1.6 v and the other one is 1.5v both to 1.5v and you get the same volts from both?

Thanks

No, if one is rated at minimum 1.6v then I dont think it will work at 1.5v - not enough juice. I've spent a few hrs running memtests and so far things have been stable. Got my old oc going as well, hopefully no more bsods. Thanks everyone.

No, if one is rated at minimum 1.6v then I dont think it will work at 1.5v - not enough juice...

Not necessarily true. Ratings are overrated. There is usually a lot of play with RAM voltage and timings. Mine are rated at 1600 7-8-7-20-1T 1.65v and will pull that off at 1866 with the same settings. I am currently running them at 1600 with 1.6v with no issues. Don't be afraid to play with the settings until you find out what you can get away with.

Back