Mixing 1.35v and 1.5v

bbenz33

Gawd
So if I had a better option that wasn't overly expensive I wouldn't even bother down this road but this is the situation I am looking at. I purchased 6x8GB DDR3 for my server. When I attempted to install them two didn't work. I noticed that one was of the 1.35v variety and the rest were 1.5v. I took them all back to the place I purchased and swapped out the five that were 1.5v keeping the one 1.35v stick and got five additional 1.35v sticks. Turns out two of those sticks are also bad. They don't currently have anymore 8GB sticks available so the question is can I run 3 sticks at 1.35v on the first CPU and 3 sticks at 1.5v on the second CPU?

One other option that might be available is to swap three of the current sticks for 3 faster sticks. The sticks that I have are 10600 but they do have several 12800 sticks. Would it be better to mix speeds than voltages? I don't care if the 12800 sticks default to the lower speed.

TLDR:
Is it possible to mix voltages of memory on separate CPUs or is mixing ram speeds with the same voltages a better solution?

they will probably all run 1.4-1.5v just fine
ddr3 rated to run 1.25-1.35v often used the same chips as kits rated to run 1.65v
also most 1.5v ram can handle being undervolted a bit before they become unstable

Back