Mixer shutting down, partnering with Facebook Gaming

Welp, I guess nothing good can last. It was actually becoming a good alternative to Twitch, too. So when can we rip the Mixer app and tab out of the Xbox One software?

Welp, I guess nothing good can last. It was actually becoming a good alternative to Twitch, too. So when can we rip the Mixer app and tab out of the Xbox One software?

Regarding that. MS's streaming service has been front and center on every Xbox around the world and they couldn't make it work?

I wonder if Microsoft is still on the hook for the $30 million they promised Samurai or Pirate or whatever that idiot's name is.

I wonder if Microsoft is still on the hook for the $30 million they promised Samurai or Pirate or whatever that idiot's name is.
I doubt it. It will probably end up going to court I am sure. Hell ninja and the other probably can sue also for losses since they moved from their successful twitch streaming.

Regarding that. MS's streaming service has been front and center on every Xbox around the world and they couldn't make it work?
Probably because its integration into Xbox was so damned obnoxious. I also think people who turn on their consoles have their primary intentions of playing games, not watching others play games.

I doubt it. It will probably end up going to court I am sure. Hell ninja and the other probably can sue also for losses since they moved from their successful twitch streaming.
I imagine Ninja and other popular streamer who gone to Mixer will have their remaining contract paid just to keep off any potential lawsuits.

I doubt it. It will probably end up going to court I am sure.
Buying out the remaining of Ninja $30 million contract, that is a nice pay day if true. Not a big fan of Ninja but damn I am envious of his position.
I am sure MS can take the hit to avoid the lawsuits. Damn nice payday for them if true. They probably can go back to twitch and regain most their viewer base.

Thots never made the switch.
That's because the TOS on Mixer was more strict and the rules were actually enforced equally so that gaming actually remained the focus of a game streaming site. Thots made a big stink about that years ago. That's going to change with Facebook. If you can stomach it, just go take a peek at the front page of Facebook Gaming right now and it will be no surprise that they saw 238% growth last year.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
This broke Sunday from the only black person to work at Mixer during a 2 year period: https://twitter.com/MilanKLee/status/1274830702538821632

I believe decision making upper management got a taste of bad PR as result of alleged racism, combined with their struggles and lower dent into Twitch's audience than hoped, and decided to pull the plug as it was the 'best business decision.'

I'm following the story and hope he provides an update after a meeting with Phil Spencer that's happening today.
https://twitter.com/MilanKLee/status/1274918899545505792

If you can stomach it, just go take a peek at the front page of Facebook Gaming right now and it will be no surprise that they saw 238% growth last year.
What do you mean by this? I see nothing significant between the front page of Facebook Gaming and Twitch.

This broke Sunday from the only black person to work at Mixer during a 2 year period: https://twitter.com/MilanKLee/status/1274830702538821632

I believe decision making upper management got a taste of bad PR as result of alleged racism, combined with their struggles and lower dent into Twitch's audience than hoped, and decided to pull the plug as it was the 'best business decision.'

I'm following the story and hope he provides an update after a meeting with Phil Spencer that's happening today.
https://twitter.com/MilanKLee/status/1274918899545505792
A deal like this isn't made in hours.

That's because the TOS on Mixer was more strict and the rules were actually enforced equally so that gaming actually remained the focus of a game streaming site. Thots made a big stink about that years ago. That's going to change with Facebook. If you can stomach it, just go take a peek at the front page of Facebook Gaming right now and it will be no surprise that they saw 238% growth last year.
I can't stomach any Facebook page so I can only imagine how bad things really are.

I thought Mixer was a hookup app, and had no idea it was a streaming service until today.

Mixer was ok and all. But what is Facebook gaming? I've read serveral of these articles and NO ONE has asked this question. Am I the only one who has never heard of it?

Mixer was ok and all. But what is Facebook gaming? I've read serveral of these articles and NO ONE has asked this question. Am I the only one who has never heard of it?
I having been watching Facebook live streams for quite awhile now ... basically, watching my wife sitting at her desk playing Farm Heroes™

Is it clear that N and S knew about Mixers future move to FB Gaming when they signed their contracts?
Most likely not. I’m guessing that throwing the last few millions of their budget at a few top streamers from Twitch was Mixer’s last ditch effort to stay alive. Unfortunately, it failed.

Mixer was under the impression that the streamers made the streaming platform popular, when in reality its the streaming platform that made the streamers popular. Along with the games they played.

All the streamers that moved to Mixer had only a small fraction of viewers that they did on Twitch. Most of their community didn't follow them because it was the platform they liked more and not the streamer. I remember seeing Shroud and Ninja only have like 20-25% of the viewers they had on Twitch when streaming on Mixer.

Most likely not. I’m guessing that throwing the last few millions of their budget at a few top streamers from Twitch was Mixer’s last ditch effort to stay alive. Unfortunately, it failed.

Mixer was under the impression that the streamers made the streaming platform popular, when in reality its the streaming platform that made the streamers popular. Along with the games they played.

All the streamers that moved to Mixer had only a small fraction of viewers that they did on Twitch. Most of their community didn't follow them because it was the platform they liked more and not the streamer. I remember seeing Shroud and Ninja only have like 20-25% of the viewers they had on Twitch when streaming on Mixer.

also the streamers were smart in making sure that they accounted for that potential loss which is why their contracts were so high in the first place since microsoft basically had to pay shroud and ninja what they made per year on twitch. so they ultimately didn't lose money during their contract period but they'll probably take a short term loss having to rebuild their viewership on twitch again and potentially not get the same deal they originally had with twitch.

Its a pity that with all of Microsoft's money where they are very able to simply dump cash into something for a long term objective (historically, sadly this has been used to try to distort the market not exactly chasing quality) they couldn't have set out to make Mixer notably different and better than Twitch. Some will say their streaming quality and/or game integration were nice features, but these things were relatively minor - I would have liked to see major changes in things like monetization and the general way streamers are showcased. Twitch's system is basically balanced in favor of high-viewer games and streamers yet is constructed in ways that make it harder for newer, or lower viewer count streamers to break in much less actually profit when it matters most. In a "Amazon, fuck you late stage capitalism" kinda way this is understandable, but there are relatively limited changes with big effects they could make while still being wildly profitable . Its a pity Mixer didn't take this approach but instead they threw a fortune at some of the largest streamers to switch over to the platform, so I';m not exactly surprised.

I won't exactly say good riddance to Mixer, but I didn't see them as a more open, ethnically monetized etc.. alternative either. While it may have been run by a megacorp, I have to say that I would have greatly preferred Microsoft's cumbersome/uninspiring site to former Mixer assets and focus helping to bolster the truly pernicious Facebook Gaming. Facebook as a company is generally reprehensible and I'd rather not see them built up in any way. Ultimately, this closing means even greater centralization around the live streaming oligarchy of megacorps but as bad as Twitch , YouTube Gaming, and Mixer may have been been when it comes to ethics, privacy, openness and the like, I have to worry that the rising "new" members of the oligarchy such as Facebook Gaming and whatever Chinese (Tencent?) owned platform who's name escapes me, are even worse.

We desperately need alternatives but ideally not simply another centralized, proprietary site/service nor something predicated on a particular blockchain/crypto-asset which adds vested interests which may be at odds with the service itself. Right now, the best alternative I've found has been PeerTube ( https://joinpeertube.org/ ) an open source, decentralized, and federated video hosting service. Users can host their own instance or sign up on a myriad of others, all compatible - not unlike email, XMPP, or Matrix ; PeerTube is even part of the "Fediverse" of open federated social media projects and supports ActivityPub as well as other protocols. At the moment it is only for VOD, but the nonprofit foundation who is the most responsible for PeerTube's development, plans to implement the highly desired live streaming function by the end of the year! https://joinpeertube.org/roadmap . They're trying to raise a relatively small amount of cash in donations, merely 60K euro, to handle the expenditure so anyone who sees value in a federated and open streaming platform please contribute if you can afford it. Framasoft is honest that the first iteration of live streaming is not going to be a drop in feature parity for Twitch, but all of that will come in time as they continue development . Its a lot harder and more expensive to do things right than to simply churn out another centralized, proprietary vehicle for surveillance capitalism, but I think its a worthwhile endeavor that we should all support if we want to see real alternatives in the live streaming field.

The problem with breaking the Twitch monopoly is the same as the Steam monopoly. Everyone just wants to use one site/store because it's more convenient.

Like someone else said, top streamers were bought, but only a fraction of their viewers followed them over, because a lot of their viewers aren't huge fans, they just see them on the front page and watch. There was no incentive for the majority of these viewers to go to Mixer.

im-too-old-1f2ec95fd7.jpg

Back