Mixed mode on Wireless Router

Rabid Yellow Dog

Limp Gawd
Does mixed mode limit the network to 11mbps? I have a Linksys WRT54G and a mac laptop with a wireless-b card and I'm going to add a pc to my wireless network. Is there any point to getting a wireless-g card for my pc?

I'm pretty sure the WAP will set the speed to the lowest common denominator depending on what devices are using the wireless network. So yeah, 11mbps is as fast as you'll get as long as the Apple is using said network.

Ugh! That's what I thought. Oh well, bought a wireless-g router for nothing. I think I'll still get the wireless-g network card as it's only $14 more than its wireless-b counterpart. Stupid Apple, are there any plans for a wireless-g card for iBooks?

Originally posted by Rabid Yellow Dog
Ugh! That's what I thought. Oh well, bought a wireless-g router for nothing. I think I'll still get the wireless-g network card as it's only $14 more than its wireless-b counterpart. Stupid Apple, are there any plans for a wireless-g card for iBooks?

I thought there was an AirPort Extreme (i.e., 802.11g, as opposed the vanilla "Airport" card, which is 802.11b) card for the iBook. It's in all the Powerbooks. My 12" Powerbook has one.

Originally posted by skritch
I thought there was an AirPort Extreme (i.e., 802.11g, as opposed the vanilla "Airport" card, which is 802.11b) card for the iBook. It's in all the Powerbooks. My 12" Powerbook has one.
There is, but he needs to make sure that his laptop will support a AirPort Extreme card.

Back