Mixed Impression about the 6850/6870

I guess it's impressive that they gave some of the previous generations high end performance in a cheaper price.

6870 is above 5850 but lower then 5870
with last generation the 5770 was slower then the 4870 NM then 4890... but it was faster then 4850. (A little bit more disappointing)
The 4670 was faster then the 3850 on average but slower then the 3870.

So all in all, given the past trends if the 68xx are replacements for the 57xx Series, the performance improvement is where it should be.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=1022

shows the cards against a stock gtx460 and one at 850 core. OC'ed 460 holds up well.

Yes it (460 OC) does, and it quieter. It actually beats the 6870 often enough, check out Anandtechs review. For someone like me who values the noise/performance ration, that's pretty big. So i am a bit disappointed that the 6870 is that loud.

Then again, it's not as loud as the 5850, which is a bonus.

Some people have pointed this out also, the drivers will keep maturing, we all know that ATI takes a (long) while to get their drivers up to snuff.

Yes it (460 OC) does, and it quieter. It actually beats the 6870 often enough, check out Anandtechs review. For someone like me who values the noise/performance ration, that's pretty big. So i am a bit disappointed that the 6870 is that loud.

That's a super-duper overclocked 460 1gb, with a custom design, beating a reference/stock 6870, and it usually only does it by a few frames; except for a few titles.

my gtx460 runs at 850, just the galaxy GC edition. can fold for 24 hours with it at that speed but comparing OC, to non OC it's 2 different things. both good releases and it is great to see some good mid rage competition. it has been a while. just good to know that my purchase wasn't overshadowed by new card just 2 months later.

if i was buying a card today it would be a tough decision

I Think the bottom line with the results is people don't realize exactly where the 68x0 series sits.. There not meant to be replacements for the 58x0 series.

So Yea when you compare the 68x0 series to the 58x0 series the benchmarks are less then impressive. But when you compare them to the 57x0 series (or even 5830) there an awesome value.

I Actually don't see why there is as much hype as there is about them. But what I can say is that when the 69x0 series drops the numbers should be rather impressive.

I don't get the idea where people think every GTX 460 goes over 850 without a problem.

I know quite a lot people who doesn't even hit 800 with voltage tweak..

Overclocking aint guarantee... boy... time to chill down and think it over again..

I would choose 6850 over GTX 460 anytime if that is the only choice I could make..

No I dont.. nor would I ever pay that much for a card.. But when the 5970 is jsut below the 5770 its obvious there is a problem. & its been a while, but I looked up other reviews of the 5970 with wow & it wasn't behind anything (except the 480). So to have a reviewer that cant get there act together & properly test I have no faith.. Also I personally wouldnt look to ANY review with anything other then the AMD reference cards as to judge the overall performance of the chip..

And for the record I have a 4850 in my rig right now & have a 6850 gigabyte already ordered..

Bastage, you made my point exactly; the HD5970 is a niche card, and a tricky-to-configure niche card at that. World of Warcraft is one of the few games that can use it with any degree of capability (even games that regularly perform well with CrossFire or even Hybrid CrossFire have little respect for the HD5970). Are you implying that *only* AB (ActivisionBlizzard)'s WoW coders got the HD5970 right (the same crew contributed greatly to SC II; however, like most games, it has conniptions dealing with the HD5970)? If so, that either says great (or terrible, if you don't play WoW) things about the WoW developers/coders, or implies horrible things about the HD5970 (if I'm not mistaken, similar nastiness was said about the GTX295).

Because I deal with multiple operating systems (Windows, Linux, some Solaris/OpenSolaris, and even some OS X-related stuff) and tend to prefer AMD's graphics hardware, it's not exactly easy to find *affordable* multi-OS-friendly hardware.
Gaming in any (let alone all) of the operating systems in question makes things all the worse.

Like I said in another thread:

Who buys a 6850? and expects high end performance? It's a 5770 replacement.
It still beats the 460 at a cheaper price.

LOL Fail for sending it back because of your own misunderstanding.

Back