Mix E5640 and X5650 in SR2

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
So far, it is a successful experiment. I was able to mix two different CPUs.

63836558.png

I'm not sure it's 100% stable though. Windows BSOD a few times during boot at overclocked speeds, even down around 170mhz bclk. So, I might have lost the ability to overclock.

I will test some more once this 2686 finishes.

But it is ALIVE!!!
Young-Frankenstein-bh02.jpg

Well done... I had a wacky idea to split my two SR2 systems - put a x5650 and x5660 in each, and put the x5660s on CPU-0 and the x5650s in CPU-1.

Working on the theory that the higher multi chips could run on lower vcore and somewhat balance the SR2 . CPU-1 on the SR2 just runs sooo much cooler, I get the feeling you could crank it so much more. The question is if it is actually running the way, or if it is just reported that way.

If I get win lotto and get a few weeks off I might try it. :p

Good to know. If you haven't tied it yet, you may want to lock the multiplier down so they are both the same, and thus all of your cores are at the same speed. Valuter should have an E5620 and an L5640 to try together as well.

Good tip musky. I turned off turbo and that seems to have brought some stability. I noticed when I was at stock speeds that the CPUs had different turbo behavior - the hex turbo'd up 2 multis, but the quad only turbo'd up one multi. I'm guessing that was the culprit. So I quickly dialed up 180x20 for 3.6ghz. I really feel like I created a monster. Running smp -19 right now.

14841209.png

I'm trying to come up with a name for this thing. I think franken folder has been done
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Good tip musky. I turned off turbo and that seems to have brought some stability. I noticed when I was at stock speeds that the CPUs had different turbo behavior - the hex turbo'd up 2 multis, but the quad only turbo'd up one multi. I'm guessing that was the culprit. So I quickly dialed up 180x20 for 3.6ghz. I really feel like I created a monster. Running smp -19 right now.

Be interesting to see if smp -19 fails EUE like other high primes... smp 22 and smp 23 are no gos.

I have been searching and searching and I can't find in my notes the discussion on EVGA forum about this - I thought it was possible to run them at different multis - which would be ideal not to have to hobble the faster CPU to the lowest common denominator. In theory. :rolleyes:

Names? Franken-Decurion? :p

Lol
I am running them at the same 20 non-turbo multi

I'll have my hex/quad test up tomorrow, I'm gonna move over my kill-a-watt and do some tests for draw too

so, would smp20 work then? Or is that a no go? Also, based on your try, what socket should the hex go in, whichthe quad?

Hope to buy my own second hex here soon, until then I'm on loaners

My hex is in the secondary socket. Just happened that way.

I was BSODing as I tried to increase BCLK over 180

went back into the BIOS and started poking around again....disabled Speedstep and I'm good so far at 190mhz BCLK (3800 mhz)

So no turbo, no speed step, and keep the multi the same for each chip

didn't get to try today, I've got a bigadv I don't wanna risk losing
maybe in the morning if it's close I'll set The oneunit flag

L5640 and E5620 , no go

couldn't get past bios no matter what I did, after an hour or so I gave up

L5640 and E5620 , no go

couldn't get past bios no matter what I did, after an hour or so I gave up

What it is doing after the bios? You have a very early bios version, which may actually have issues with the L5640. If you are getting into the bios, the processors are working fine together.

Hello Hardforum Community!, I am a brand new guy as of 10-10-10, so please bear with me! Here's goes my first question:

"Can a intel Xeon E5645 6 CORE CPU along with a intel Xeon E5640 6 CORE CPU work Together Perfectly in EVGA SR-2? How High Safe Overclock Can I Tweak both? Will the EVGA SR-2 default to the lower Overclock Achieved by the Lesser intel Xeon E5640?

Likewise, Whatever Additional Improved Enhancements of the intel Xeon E5645 vs the lesser Intel Xeon E5640, would the EVGA SR-2 default to the level of the Intel Xeon E5640? Or, ..would I realize;) every bit of what each Xeon has to offer in full measure?

See: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47926

and also...

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48768

Whatever Anyone Can Offer Up Here Will be Greatly Appreciated! THANKS ALL!!!!

Hello Hardforum Community!, I am a brand new guy as of 10-10-10, so please bear with me! Here's goes my first question:

"Can a intel Xeon E5645 6 CORE CPU along with a intel Xeon E5640 6 CORE CPU work Together Perfectly in EVGA SR-2? How High Safe Overclock Can I Tweak both? Will the EVGA SR-2 default to the lower Overclock Achieved by the Lesser intel Xeon E5640?

Likewise, Whatever Additional Improved Enhancements of the intel Xeon E5645 vs the lesser Intel Xeon E5640, would the EVGA SR-2 default to the level of the Intel Xeon E5640? Or, ..would I realize;) every bit of what each Xeon has to offer in full measure?

See: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47926

and also...

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48768

Whatever Anyone Can Offer Up Here Will be Greatly Appreciated! THANKS ALL!!!!

First, I think you mean L5640, not E5640. Your best bet would be to manually set the multiplier to 17 (the L5640 multiplier) and enable turbo. That should let the two processors run at the same speed, which seems to be necessary for overclocking. No one here has any experience with that particular combination, but it should work. Westmere chips seem to have a 200 bclk limit in an SR-2, which will prbably apply to this combo as well. The settings people use are in the various optimization thread in this forum, so that would be a place to start.

And welcome to the forum!

Right, the E5640 is a quad core processor.

However, I'm concerned about the fact that the L5640 and the E5645 have different turbo profiles.

I suspect it is likely that you would have to disable turbo to achieve stability (I did) so you would be stuck at the L5640 17x multiplier, severely limiting your overclock.

I suspect it is likely that you would have to disable turbo to achieve stability (I did) so you would be stuck at the L5640 17x multiplier, severely limiting your overclock.
This is exactly the case. Turbo must be disabled when mixing CPUs.

Hello [H]orde - [H]ardOCP Folding@Home team #33,

Thank you for your Welcome and your Advise on my Intel Xeon E5640 & E5645 Compatiable Matching & Overclocking!

Happy Columbus Day!

Thomas
dfix9
10-11-10

Back