Mix AMD and NV on One Box and Run Nicehash?

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Got an extra 6900 that is sitting idle for the next couple weeks. Can I throw it on my 2080 Ti mining system and run Nicehash side by side? Thought I would ask before I try it anyway. ;)

Just make sure to disable the cards you don't want to use in NH.

Just make sure to disable the cards you don't want to use in NH.
So I got that up and running fine using NH Miner. However, the two cards are now pulling odd workloads, whereas before I was getting pretty much all Dagger. The AMD/NV machine are all pulling BeamV3 and Kapow, which is about half the value. Do I have any control over this?

So I got that up and running fine using NH Miner. However, the two cards are now pulling odd workloads, whereas before I was getting pretty much all Dagger. The AMD/NV machine are all pulling BeamV3 and Kapow, which is about half the value. Do I have any control over this?
Disable the algos you don't want to mine on (turn the sliders off under the benchmarking tab) and make sure each card has been benched if you are using NH.

Disable the algos you don't want to mine on (turn the sliders off under the benchmarking tab) and make sure each card has been benched if you are using NH.
Thanks a million, you helped me understand some things I did not before. NHMiner does not like to start both cards at the same time from the Dashboard screen. Once I dicked around with it for a while I figured out that I could start the AMD card first, by itself, then the NV card and they both picked up the workloads I wanted those to.

However when the algo restarts, it drops the AMD card again with it showing to be mining but doing no work and it shows no algo loaded.

Yep, looks like running two instances has solved my issues. Simply copied the entire NH folder into another adjacent folder, and added it to Defender exclusions. For those of you maybe wanting to do this, you have to go into the Advanced NHMiner Settings and check "allow more than one instance" in each instance you are going to run. I also had to pull back a tiny bit on the 2080 Ti memory overclock, most likely due to putting that 6900 XT a slot away from it and cutting down on airflow to the 2080 Ti.

Untitled.png

Yep, looks like running two instances has solved my issues. Simply copied the entire NH folder into another adjacent folder, and added it to Defender exclusions. For those of you maybe wanting to do this, you have to go into the Advanced NHMiner Settings and check "allow more than one instance" in each instance you are going to run. I also had to pull back a tiny bit on the 2080 Ti memory overclock, most likely due to putting that 6900 XT a slot away from it and cutting down on airflow to the 2080 Ti.

View attachment 348164
Why is there no temps shown for the AMD card?

NH-16.43.jpg

No clue. Figure whoever coded it did not care or the same bios hooks are not there from past GPUs.

The AMD card temps still seem to show up fine in whatever miner the NH app is using. I've been curious for some time why NH can grab them in Nvidia cards, but not in my AMD cards.

Edit: Nice work by the way. I have wondered for a while if this can be done or not. Thinking of combining two small rigs into one.

My experience with mixing cards was not positive. I tried it with Vega, RX580 and Pascal. It worked fine until it didn’t. Mostly administrative headaches. Like an update of one or the other drivers in windows 10 would reset overclocks and undervolts for all. A problem I did not see when using all same vendor cards on a single rig. I was mining with 8-12 cards though, so let us know how that works with the newer cards longer term Kyle.

Last edited:

View attachment 348164

Your two cards mine almost as much as the 4 i have going :(

My experience with mixing cards was not positive. I tried it with Vega, RX580 and Pascal. It worked fine until it didn’t. Mostly administrative headaches. Like an update of one or the other drivers in windows 10 would reset overclocks and undervolts for all. A problem I did not see when using all same vendor cards on a single rig. I was mining with 8-12 cards though, so let us know how that works with the newer cards longer term Kyle.
I got everything tweaked in. Even running the 6900XT on my main rig. Finally got it dialed in using TeamRedMiner so that I can use with as little as possible lag hiccups while still getting around 63Mh. I could not get TeamRedMiner and TeamGreenMiner to play well together on the dedicated, so I still have the 2080Ti running NiceHashQuickMiner running on that rig.

I have bumped drivers and such on that rig without issue. Got them tweaked using the least watts possible and stable. Each card is using about 140W. 63MH for the 6900XT and 58MH for the 2080Ti.

I got everything tweaked in. Even running the 6900XT on my main rig. Finally got it dialed in using TeamRedMiner so that I can use with as little as possible lag hiccups while still getting around 63Mh. I could not get TeamRedMiner and TeamGreenMiner to play well together on the dedicated, so I still have the 2080Ti running NiceHashQuickMiner running on that rig.

I have bumped drivers and such on that rig without issue. Got them tweaked using the least watts possible and stable. Each card is using about 140W. 63MH for the 6900XT and 58MH for the 2080Ti.
That looks good, can only get around 61 on my 6900 XT when mining.

Back