Mitsubishi DLP sets

IDversusEGO

Supreme [H]ardness
I am about to move into a place with a bigger living room and am considering upgrading my TV set. I have a 42" Panny plasma that I would love to move to the smaller rec room and put at least a 52" in the living room. While i was looking at Cosco I saw the 73" Mitsu and liked the picture. That one is too big for my room but a 60" or 65" is a good fit and isn't any deeper that the entertainment center that my plasma sits on. Viewing angle is the only thing I can think of right off that would deter me from putting on in my living room. Anybody else think of anything that would hold me back? Old tech doesn't really scare me because I tend to upgrade every couple of years and the price is low because of the old tech so I am getting a benefit as well.

specifically these 2 sets...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9300455&type=product&id=1218079753886

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9301212&type=product&id=1218080215607

I'm a DLP fan and have actually currently been thinking about picking up a new one as well.

The Mitsu got decent reviews but seemed to be regarded as subpar compared to the Samsung offerings. Obviously Samsung discontinued their DLPs for this year, but they are still available at some online retailers it seems at decent prices... might be worth looking into.

Oh and it can never be "too big for the room"; too big for the WIFE maybe, but never too big for the room ;)

ehh...my last DLP stuck out into the doorway and we would run into it periodically...that qualifies as too big for me.

i dunno about RPTV, but we have a mitsu hc3000 in our garage that has been beaten to hell and back.

Tonight, i will go home and watch juventus on the dvr... in the garage... One day we watched racing out there when it was 102 degrees inside the garage... we had 2 fans on us and were pounding rum and cokes(with tons of ice). We even had to put a fan on the directv dvr so it wouldn't overheat, the old HC3000 just kept on rockin.

I bought a Mitsubishi DLP set in 2005 or something like that. It is a 52" and I've been pleased with it. I'm still happy watching TV (Standard and HD) as well as DVD and Blu-Ray content on it.

if you are going to get a DLP, i would suggest you get one with a LED, as opposed to the older bulb technology.

I'm not familiar with those mistubishi models, but i have a samsung 61a750, and i love it. the 7 series on the samsungs have the LED bulb, so i don't have to worry about changing the bulb in 6 years, or deal with the bulb warming up when i turn on the TV.

not sold on the mitsu but its all I can find. any sources for other choices would be appreciated.

Good luck! Unfortunately Mitsu is all that's left for current models :( I heard that Fry's still has some of the Samsung LED DLPs in stock at certain stores (depending on where you live and the validity of that rumor...) If you don't mind shopping online you might have *slightly* better options...

Good luck! Unfortunately Mitsu is all that's left for current models :( I heard that Fry's still has some of the Samsung LED DLPs in stock at certain stores (depending on where you live and the validity of that rumor...) If you don't mind shopping online you might have *slightly* better options...

The only DLP to get is the Samsung LED DLP. I have a 61" and I love it. The blacks are very very black. I got mine online from Crutchfields.

I have one that I bought when they first came out and I love it.

Although if I were to buy today I would prob buy LCD, as I dont really see any reason to get DLP anymore.

I have one that I bought when they first came out and I love it.

Although if I were to buy today I would prob buy LCD, as I dont really see any reason to get DLP anymore.

price.

I spent about $2000 less on my DLP than a comparable LCD

Good God

What LCD's were you looking at?

I was looking at some 52in Samsungs at the shop the other day and it was $1900
that's quite a bit smaller than my 61 inch. Still, i paid $1400 for my DLP. LCDs over 55 inches are almost double that.

Ahh the real big boys eh?

Yea those get up in price real quick

another sammy 61a750 user here. best electronics purchase i have made in years. i am still in awe of this tv.

I almost got the LED Samsung 61 when I got my 52 Sony LCD. What killed it for me was viewing angle. We have seating just enough off the side for it to not work well for us. If I didn't have that issue I would get a DLP in a heartbeat. When we move into a house if I have room I plan to get a big DLP if they are still around then.

yea the viewing angle is pretty crappy on the dlp. it is not an issue for me because my living room is long and narrow, but that is something to keep in mind op.

I own a WD-65737

so far i love it. menu system is slow though and it tries to "learn" the devices you have connected to the various inputs and it's totally inaccurate but i haven't really messed w/ it since it's just the naming. for example, i select Wii in order to play my 360. Also, the screen is a little glossy, so if you have a strong light in the room you might get some glare. so yeah, there are some issues but it is pretty inexpensive and i've had no issues w/ the picture/sound quality.

I've found that the viewing angle is pretty good on this tv, assuming your are looking at it level. if you're too low or too high, you start to see some issues but you have to be at a pretty extreme angle.

I used to own a samsung 50" dlp but it crapped out on my 1 year and 2 days after purchase. that was the 3rd samsung display that i owned (2 crt monitors) and they all had issues. Thats the main reason i didn't consider the samsung LED DLP.

just my opinion. Call the local bby and see if they have it on display.

I have the samsung 67" led dlp and I haven't noticed any viewing angle issues within reason, but my price per in of screen is way low.

I paid about $2k for a 67" tv. An lcd or plasma that size with this kind of picture would've been waaaaay more expensive.

I have the samsung 67" led dlp and I haven't noticed any viewing angle issues within reason, but my price per in of screen is way low.

I paid about $2k for a 67" tv. An lcd or plasma that size with this kind of picture would've been waaaaay more expensive.

I have the 67" samsung led dlp also, and the viewing angle is fine unless you are WAY off to the side. I looked at the mitsu 73" but i didnt want to deal with bulbs. If you can find one, the 67" samsung with led dlp is probably the biggest and best tv you can find for the money.

I paid about $1200 for my current Mits WD-60737 (replacing a battered but working WD-52631) three weeks ago, and I have no complaints. It has some odd UI quirks, though that's a model-line thing--see also mycomputersucks's post--but the set itself thus far is pretty darn solid.

I should take some pictures of my setup but I have the 52 samsung DLP I picked up last year from Circuit City's closeout for 699 and to be honest it was the best purchase for the new room. Viewing angles are perfectly normal on it unless I'm too high or too low, side angles are fine I recently redid the setup so I don't have anyone on the sides, but the previous arrangement found people sitting off to the side and while it did get darker it wasn't too noticeable except really to me.

Back