MIT Promises Anonymity Network More Secure Than Tor

HardOCP News

[H] News
Normally we would be skeptical of anyone claiming to be more secure than Tor but this is MIT we are talking about. While no system is totally safe, MIT's anonymity network 'Riffle' claims it can maintain privacy as long as at least one server is safe.

At the Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium in July, researchers at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne will present a new anonymity scheme that provides strong security guarantees but uses bandwidth much more efficiently than its predecessors. In experiments, the researchers’ system required only one-tenth as much time as similarly secure experimental systems to transfer a large file between anonymous users.

they failed to disclose that the programme was sponsored by fbi/cia/nsa :D
i have 0 doubt that US agencies will have full access to it

I need to see the working software in action first. Then I'll make my judgement that the USA GOV has compromised it.

As an armchair privacy enthusiast, I'm interested.

I find myself in the peculiar position to find privacy extremely important, and want an end to all warrantless government surveillance, and to all collection and marketing of user data by private companies...

At the same time, I can't be bothered to do things like set up my own email server with Enigmail, make use of a VPN, etc. etc. (Gmail's spam filter is just so damned good, and VPN's all have performance issues.

If it winds up improving my privacy at all, doesn't compromise network performance as much as TOR, and isn't too convoluted to set up (I already have enough really convoluted projects going on) I'll probably give it a try.

I'm sure there is a gaping back door for the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. to walk through ... because that's what they do.

Back