MIT Is Trying To Crack Wireless VR, Too

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory is working on a wireless VR solution that uses millimeter waves to transmit data between the headset and your PC.

MIT CSAIL's prototype system, known as MoViR, uses millimeter waves to send data from a transmitter that's hooked up to a computer to the headset's receiver. These high-frequency radio waves are capable of maintaining wireless connections at speeds over 6 Gbps -- enough bandwidth to stream the two, high-definition feeds required for VR -- but the signal doesn't penetrate objects well. As VR games and experiences typically require you move around in physical space, there is a high chance of your floor-standing lamp or flailing arms blocking the signal and impacting performance, in turn breaking the immersion.

Without a backpack or something I see powering a wireless VR Headset being an issue as well

Some random company in China already it did it, even as an add-on for vive. c'mon MIT get with it! Bunch of dummies.....

(Yes that was sarcasm)

So if I had little faith in that Chinese add-on, after this article I have none.

The problem is the line of sight due to the signal frequency being easily blocked. From the look of the prototype device from the Chinese company, the receiver is on top of the headset so the base station must be mounted high or line of sight would be blocked by your hands flailing around. The best workaround to that is to run the wires to your ceiling in the center of your playspace so the antenna can send from there. Typically that is the one spot where you cannot interfere with the signal by flailing around your arms. It's not an insurmountable problem as it is seems even with the current tech, where it gets complicated is if you can't mount it directly overhead. In that case the higher the better but there is still going to be dead zone spots and blockages possible due to arm movements.

Back