MIT Has Developed a Four-Legged Robot That Can Do a Backflip

cageymaru

Fully [H]
MIT has announced that its new mini cheetah robot is the first four-legged robot to do a backflip. It weighs in at 20 pounds and can quickly right itself if kicked over. The robot is capable of walking upside down, or right-side up and navigates uneven terrain with absolute ease. The modular design of the robot allows its motors to be swapped out "almost like Legos." "In Cheetah 3, everything is super integrated, so if you want to change something, you have to do a ton of redesign," Katz says. "Whereas with the mini cheetah, if you wanted to add another arm, you could just add three or four more of these modular motors." The design team has much bigger ideas on new features to add to the mini cheetah. "We're working now on a landing controller, the idea being that I want to be able to pick up the robot and toss it, and just have it land on its feet," Katz says. "Say you wanted to throw the robot into the window of a building and have it go explore inside the building. You could do that."

"A big part of why we built this robot is that it makes it so easy to experiment and just try crazy things, because the robot is super robust and doesn't break easily, and if it does break, it's easy and not very expensive to fix," says Katz, who worked on the robot in the lab of Sangbae Kim, associate professor of mechanical engineering. Kim says loaning mini cheetahs out to other research groups gives engineers an opportunity to test out novel algorithms and maneuvers on a highly dynamic robot, that they might not otherwise have access to. "Eventually, I'm hoping we could have a robotic dog race through an obstacle course, where each team controls a mini cheetah with different algorithms, and we can see which strategy is more effective," Kim says. "That's how you accelerate research."

cant wait till Robots see us as threat to the planet and try to wipe us out. lol. Seriously maybe that's when humans say fuck you to politics and unite for a common cause. I'll be long dead to see the terminator shit, bummer.. ;)

Man its gonna be fun to get murdered someday by those cute little guys....I mean they won't call it "murder" but....you know.....

Don't kick that robot man! You're only giving it reasons to rise up against us. LOL

I think humans fear murderous robots putting them out of the job of murder.

Energy storage technology will do more to limit autonomous robotics advancement than anything else.

Boston Dynamics was able to make PETMAN run on a conveyor belt and then do a 360 flip, landed back on the belt and kept on running without missing a beat

that was at least 5 years or more ago ...

here's the new and improved PETMAN

here's ALTAS:

and HANDLE

can you imagine the robots that have been made they are kept from the Public's view?

Last edited:
Boston Dynamics was able to make PETMAN run on a conveyor belt and then do a 360 flip, landed back on the belt and kept on running without missing a beat

that was at least 5 years or more ago ...

here's the new and improved PETMAN

here's ALTAS:

and HANDLE

can you imagine the robots that have been made they are kept from the Public's view?

Amazing isn't it? Now softbank owns them and they can throw all the money they want lol. Seriously amazing at the way these things can operate, the only thing holding these things back is probably battery tech. I wonder what it would be like once they are fully self dependent running on AI.

Amazing isn't it? Now softbank owns them and they can throw all the money they want lol. Seriously amazing at the way these things can operate, the only thing holding these things back is probably battery tech. I wonder what it would be like once they are fully self dependent running on AI.
One word. Matrix.

Energy storage technology will do more to limit autonomous robotics advancement than anything else.

So you are saying the only marathon runners will have a chance to escape due to the robots limited range?

Well, at least until they invent the atomic battery....

Mine's better:

:p

Seriously, though, pretty cool. Think I remember this from a while back, but it may have just been an earlier design from the same team at MIT. They definitely use the same walking behavior/mechanics as the one I remember.

cant wait till Robots see us as threat to the planet and try to wipe us out. lol. Seriously maybe that's when humans say fuck you to politics and unite for a common cause. I'll be long dead to see the terminator shit, bummer.. ;)

MIT is going to be the people who accidentally end the human race.

Mine's better:

:p

Seriously, though, pretty cool. Think I remember this from a while back, but it may have just been an earlier design from the same team at MIT. They definitely use the same walking behavior/mechanics as the one I remember.

Back