MiSTer FPGA - Retro Console Hardware

Thanks. It downloads everything on the USB like it should (and filters out what you don't want) but you can't see any of the cores from menu, but you can see them if browsing file system on sftp.

Couple other things:

Is the normal update.sh also end of life?
Do you know what a good option is for getting BIOS files with downloader? Adding BIOS as a filter gets a few of them but not like PSX and MegaCD. I have them backed up but would like to find a way to easily re download them through script like before.
What's the correct way to download the scripts from the wiki? I grabbed from file viewer and saved the .sh to the mister. They didn't run. I had to roll back to some old ones I have saved.
The script for bios is called bios getter.

Thanks. It downloads everything on the USB like it should (and filters out what you don't want) but you can't see any of the cores from menu, but you can see them if browsing file system on sftp.

Couple other things:

Do you know what a good option is for getting BIOS files with downloader? Adding BIOS as a filter gets a few of them but not like PSX and MegaCD. I have them backed up but would like to find a way to easily re download them through script like before.
What's the correct way to download the scripts from the wiki? I grabbed from file viewer and saved the .sh to the mister. They didn't run. I had to roll back to some old ones I have saved.
https://github.com/theypsilon/MiSTer_BIOS_SCRIPTS/blob/master/bios-getter.sh

Couple other things:

The update_all.sh is the best script in my opinion. I just used it. Everything works. BIOS,...ETC.... Don't get it confused with update.sh.

update.sh = phased out (don't use this)

update_all.sh = good to go (but in settings option, enable use downloader)

You can always delete the ".config" folder inside the scripts folder to force "update_all" to start from scratch and It will download everything it doesn't find in your install.

https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer

Last edited:
The update_all.sh is the best script in my opinion. I just used it. Everything works. BIOS,...ETC.... Don't get it confused with update.sh.

update.sh = phased out (don't use this)

update_all.sh = good to go (but in settings option, enable use downloader)

You can always delete the ".config" folder inside the scripts folder to force "update_all" to start from scratch and It will download everything it doesn't find in your install.

https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer
Thanks. Update_all does work for me just fine, the issue I am having is that even though update_all uses downloader, it doesn't seem to like the downloader.ini.

For example, I'll paste in the downloader.ini base config, make a few changes as I need and it works fine using downloader, everything I set works. Then when I reinstall and copy over all of my known working scripts including my custom downloader.ini, then run update_all, it errors out until I delete downloader.ini and let it re-create it which then loses my customization. I paste them back in, and it doesn't work again.

Right now using just downloader, I have it setup about how I want, but the bios_getter skips several systems though (like MegaCD) (code shows no repo for it) so I have to copy that over manually.

Thanks. Update_all does work for me just fine, the issue I am having is that even though update_all uses downloader, it doesn't seem to like the downloader.ini.

For example, I'll paste in the downloader.ini base config, make a few changes as I need and it works fine using downloader, everything I set works. Then when I reinstall and copy over all of my known working scripts including my custom downloader.ini, then run update_all, it errors out until I delete downloader.ini and let it re-create it which then loses my customization. I paste them back in, and it doesn't work again.

Right now using just downloader, I have it setup about how I want, but the bios_getter skips several systems though (like MegaCD) (code shows no repo for it) so I have to copy that over manually.
Did you try adding your customized settings to update_all.ini?

What exactly are you customized settings?

Also, downloader has a different way of writing the rules in downloader.ini than in update_all.ini

Did you try adding your customized settings to update_all.ini?

What exactly are you customized settings?

Also, downloader has a different way of writing the rules in downloader.ini than in update_all.ini
It was just a filter, so filter = <stuff> at the bottom of downloader.ini to only download consoles I want (no cheats, docs, etc).

If I want to add that into update_all, where does it go?

It was just a filter, so filter = <stuff> at the bottom of downloader.ini to only download consoles I want (no cheats, docs, etc).

If I want to add that into update_all, where does it go?
OK. Try this:

• Delete every downloader.sh, downloader.ini, update_all, update_all.ini, update.sh, and update.ini in your SD CARD AND USB.
  • Delete the ".config" folder inside the scripts folder.
  • Get the latest update_all.sh + update_all.ini, and install it in scripts.
  • Download and configure the latest downloader.ini as described here with your filters:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Downloader_MiSTer/blob/main/docs/download-filters.md

• Reboot.
  • Run update_all, but press up to configure your settings in there, and to enable downloader.
menu-1-4.jpeg

• Select the save option on the main blue screen.
  • Select the exit + run the update all option.
GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
OK. Try this:

• Delete every downloader.sh, downloader.ini, update_all, update_all.ini, update.sh, and update.ini in your SD CARD AND USB.
  • Delete the ".config" folder inside the scripts folder.
  • Get the latest update_all.sh + update_all.ini, and install it in scripts.
  • Download and configure the latest downloader.ini as described here with your filters:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Downloader_MiSTer/blob/main/docs/download-filters.md

• Reboot.
  • Run update_all, but press up to configure your settings in there, and to enable downloader.

• Select the save option on the main blue screen.
  • Select the exit + run the update all option.
GOOD LUCK!
Thank you. This seems to be working following your steps. Same as before but now also includes a working bios getter.

I think what was happening is my filter I was not adding the [mister]. That was included in the stand alone downloaded .ini automatically, so when I was copying that filter over to the downloadeder.ini from update_all it wasn't working.

I appreciate the time you took to help me figure it out. Thanks again.

Received my IronClad. Found one pair of bridged pins, the rest looked mostly okay -- some had too much solder, some not enough, and some maybe weren't soldered to the PCB well (balooned on the pin). So I went and redid the biggest offenders, because I'm OCD, and may or may not have made them better. That solder wick is the bomb-diggity after you add some flux to it...just wish it didn't spew copper oxide (or whatever that brown shit is) on the board when you heat it up.

In any case, I blame the twitter hoard for rushing d3fmod to finish. :p

Was all on headers or pcb mount connector pins, so pretty easy fix. Everything else was smd done at a factory, and looked it. Just waiting on my de10 from Mouser, now.

Woohoo my DE10 Nano finally shipped from Mouser.ca after 8 months on back order.

Now to research the rest of the stuff I need.

Nice!

I'd like to pick up another 1-2 of them as soon as they've been readily available again for a bit. Not in a rush since I'm already MiSTered, but I have a few projects that I want to add MiSTers into. Things are getting interesting now with the newer arcade stuff, and now the Saturn coming up. PS1 is so-so for me, but there are several games on the Saturn that I miss (2D games mainly).

Thinking about grabbing an arcade stick. Kinda in between the 8Bitdo Arcade Stick and the Monoprice Dark Matter. Any feedback? I really don't want to exceed around the $100 price point. Want to avoid stuff like Mayflash F300 cos of smooshy buttons. I'm leaning towards the Dark Mater because it looks like it would sit more comfortably on my lap due to being wider. I also like not having to use software to configure it. This would be for PC/Mister/Emulators only and I don't care if it's wired or not.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thinking about grabbing an arcade stick. Kinda in between the 8Bitdo Arcade Stick and the Monoprice Dark Matter. Any feedback? I really don't want to exceed around the $100 price point. Want to avoid stuff like Mayflash F300 cos of smooshy buttons. I'm leaning towards the Dark Mater because it looks like it would sit more comfortably on my lap due to being wider. I also like not having to use software to configure it. This would be for PC/Mister/Emulators only and I don't care if it's wired or not.

Thanks.

Monoprice has Dark Matter Arcade Fighting Stick for Windows, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Android (43710) for $93.49 w/ promo code TREATS. Shipping is free.

Yeah saw something similar on SD. Never heard of this stick before that, but was in the market so my ears perked up.

I bought the Sega Saturn Virtua Stick Pro HSS-0130 and I'm using a daemonbyte adapter to PC/Mister. I swapped the buttons out for Sanwa. I got the stick for a decent discount because the seller lied about it being modded. It had a supergun installed into the stick. Which, meant the side was cut into. :(

s-l500.png

Last edited:
You guys are making me sad. :D My arcade stick project is 90% done, but I had to put it on hold to get a few paying projects out of the way. Just have a little bit of wiring left, and to fit it into the wood frame. So close. Poor thing, just sitting behind the other projects...

SadJM.jpg
SadJM.jpg

Got my Logitech G29 up and running with the Outrun core on MiSTer. Took a minute to figure out and a happy accident to fix the issue with the brakes...but finally got it working. If you're interested in obtaining a cheap wheel I really recommend using Facebook Marketplace. I was able to get a whole racing setup (for noobies) for around $190. The G29 was $100, shifter $30, and the stand I got off ebay for $60.

Damn I have a pi4 in a NESPi case.. I have been clamoring for a mister but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Might wait for the Saturn core to get fully done..

Damn I have a pi4 in a NESPi case.. I have been clamoring for a mister but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Might wait for the Saturn core to get fully done..
Honestly, if you're interested even in the slightest...I'd just start buying the Nano now. That thing keeps going up in price every few months. That's the one constant in the MiSTer world where all the other things can get revisions and updates...but the core is always the DE10 Nano. The price is only going to go up.

Mouser sent me a second status update for my order this month: Supposedly expecting shipment in june. It's been a long wait, maybe it'll finally be worth it. XD

Top image is composite (original hardware w/shielded cable)

Bottom image is component (Mister VGA to YPbPr) on the same CRT.
IMG_0378 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0377 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
I have an extra complete with case 128 MB MiSTer ITX IRON CLAD setup, plus many goodies included, I'll be putting up for sale soon.

See above older posts by me for pix. This one has s brand new DE10 in it.

Bought a GunCon 2. It works, but not great. I think my CRT is burnt out. It came from a site that they ran 8 hours a day for about 20 years. Brightness all the way turned up and the aim is still very jittery. Thankfully I have a 32" RCA CRT to pick up hopefully this summer from another site I work at that are decomming them. They were only used for like 30 mins a day for a few years and never used again, then sat there for the last 10 year or so.

I just rescued this beast from a neighbor. 32 in JVC D SERIES. WOW.

I had it sitting in my car's back seat for a couple weeks.

I have to clean it up, but Low usage, and Pristine picture.

Attachments

• DA9041F2-B4B6-44BB-852E-495BD6861B40.jpeg
    DA9041F2-B4B6-44BB-852E-495BD6861B40.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 0
Shipment moved up to May. :D
Mouser sent me a second status update for my order this month: Supposedly expecting shipment in june. It's been a long wait, maybe it'll finally be worth it. XD

I just rescued this beast from a neighbor. 32 in JVC D SERIES. WOW.

I had it sitting in my car's back seat for a couple weeks.

I have to clean it up, but Low usage, and Pristine picture.
They're great TVs. I have one in storage. I nicknamed it, Cherry. HAHA. Currently, my main is a 36FV310. However, when that goes, I'll probably swap to the D or the iArt.

So not a mister question but lots of retro people here so I thought I could ask here.

I have 2 SVIDEO cables for my SNES. 1 is a cheap $8 amazon cable and the other is the $25 Insurrection Industries cable.

Can you tell the difference between cheap and expensive cable? I see a difference but which is better?

Attachments

• zelda 1.JPG
    zelda 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • zelda2.JPG
    zelda2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • final1.JPG
    final1.JPG
    891.2 KB · Views: 1
  • final2.JPG
    final2.JPG
    862.2 KB · Views: 1
#1 zelda looks like it's missing some of the green, or has too much blue. Not sure, exactly. They both look fairly clean, and not way off colorwise.

So not a mister question but lots of retro people here so I thought I could ask here.

I have 2 SVIDEO cables for my SNES. 1 is a cheap $8 amazon cable and the other is the $25 Insurrection Industries cable.

Can you tell the difference between cheap and expensive cable? I see a difference but which is better?
pics 2 + 4 look better, imo. which is which?

Yeah, definitely zelda2 is better. Final fight I dunno, maybe 2, but it feels like I'm at the eye doctor.

pics 2 + 4 look better, imo. which is which?

I'd have to guess that the Pics 2 and 4 are the Insurrection Cables. As I believe they are shielded. I don't remember. That's honestly the biggest deal with cables. Even cheaper ones can be better if they are at least shielded. I tend to buy HD Retrovision cables and have gotten them for all my consoles. However, for the TV to Extron connection, I bought a set of knock offs on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UGDG1G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

They're shielded. Perfectly fine but I saved liked $10 or so on the cables. The only issue I have is the connectors can be looser than HD Retrovisions. But, not loose to the point to not make a good connection. They just slip off the Extron when making adjustments. I can blame that more so on the BNC to AV connectors than the cables themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd have to guess that the Pics 2 and 4 are the Insurrection Cables. As I believe they are shielded. I don't remember. That's honestly the biggest deal with cables. Even cheaper ones can be better if they are at least shielded. I tend to buy HD Retrovision cables and have gotten them for all my consoles. However, for the TV to Extron connection, I bought a set of knock offs on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UGDG1G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

They're shielded. Perfectly fine but I saved liked $10 or so on the cables. The only issue I have is the connectors can be looser than HD Retrovisions. But, not loose to the point to not make a good connection. They just slip off the Extron when making adjustments. I can blame that more so on the BNC to AV connectors than the cables themselves.
I looked at the HDRV cables but didn't want to spend that much. Plus, I have my Mister hooked up to component and don't want to keep switching back and forth. The IQ from SVIDEO is still very good compared to Analogue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
And to answer the question, #2 pictures are the more expensive cables and #1 is the cheaper cable.

I do notice a difference in color quality, the cheaper cables are a bit more washed out. But it wasn't immediately clear when I bought the better ones upon first use without pictures, so I felt a bit like I wasted my money.

So while you can point to pictures side by side and see what looks better, I don't think people should feel bad about using the $8 cable because it's really game dependent on if you'll even notice. The FF picture is barely noticeable.

I looked at the HDRV cables but didn't want to spend that much. Plus, I have my Mister hooked up to component and don't want to keep switching back and forth. The IQ from SVIDEO is still very good compared to Analogue.
If you do go the "all RGB route/Component" the HD Retro cables are great. Also, Extron Crosspoints are great Component/RGB switchers. They are on eBay all the time and can be had for under $100. Just make sure you are not getting screwed by shipping. They are big devices...but image loss is minimal if non-existent.
IMG_9615.jpg

Soooooooo. N64

The PSX core's author, has just announced that he has been secretly working on it............

Reactions: Nobu
like this
It obviously would be huge news if it turns out to be true and can be done. I believe he currently has an emulator built and no core. I'm optimistic but not getting my hopes up until I see it.

I'm just concerned about whether it can be done on a single memory module system since the N64 used Rambus. But we'll see ...

Got my de10 yesterday, installed in case with ironclad+. Was a bit concerned until I realized I mixed up the power led and power switch wires. Everything works, silverstone fan pushes more air than I expected on it's own and silently. Install seems bugged though, so I'm going to have to try again.

Back