MiSTer FPGA - Retro Console Hardware

Over the weekend, I was able to get the Sega Menacer, Sega Justifier and SNES Super Scope to work on the MISTer. I posted on the forum about the issues I had with the Mega CD/Genesis core. Someone instructed me to set the SNAC to Joy 2. That doesn't work. What you need to do is "Swap Joysticks" in the option menu. That changes the SNAC from P1 to P2. Which, if coupled with the correct adapter will allow Super Scope and Menacer functionality.

Not going to lie, playing Snatcher with a Justifier is pretty great. The whole system with the Justifier is cheaper than trying to nab a second hand Snatcher.

Not quite the correct aspect ratio of course, but kinda cool full screen :)

DF9F7264-80D4-4436-9B98-D48038E5477D.jpeg

I finally got mine over the Christmas weekend. Slowly adding more and more to it. Got the consoles that interested me up and running. Will tackle MSX soonish. That's a bit more complicated. Though, I think i want to get a good CPS romset first. I got a few up and runnning but the vast majority I had don't seem to work with the core. So, I'm trying to get a new set.

View attachment 318028
What speakers are those? I'm either going to build some towers or buy some used ones.

Well, I finally bought all the parts to create my best ever joystick pair. I'm planning to do the main surface panel out of 6mm milled/anodized aluminum. I bought ball-type fight sticks. I used to use the elongated Street Fighter style of stick, but I think I like the ball better these days. I also got a pair of the best spinner controls I could find with anodized knobs. (they can also take small steering wheels that just pop on, so I may buy a pair of wheels eventually) I already have more HAPP/SUZO buttons than I can count, so covered on the buttons. I'm not doing a track ball this time around. I figure most trackball games will work ok with a spinner. Plus I don't play a lot of trackball games in the first place. Marble Madness would be the only one that will make me sad not to have the ball really. (maybe using both spinners would work ok. :D ) Anyway, I'll post pics once I get going. I have to lay out the surface panel. I've laid out a lot of them in the past, so I have something to work from.

I used to use melamine boards to do the surface, but I use aluminum for so many other projects that I may as well do it for this.

6mm anodized aluminum. Two high-end spinners that can accommodate 5" steering wheels. The left spinner and right stick are in good proximity for things like steer+shift for Spy Hunter etc. Just waiting on the drawing for the joystick mounting hole spacing. The panel will drop into a wood frame that can mount on legs or other stand. Working on that part of the design separately.

Just thought of something else. I may keep my current MiSTer setup for console games mainly, and just build a separate one into this stick. Maybe even add mounting for the DE board, and maybe also a Pi4 or something for wider game compatibility. Hmm... Off to get more drawings. :D

JMVIII.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished revision, and panel ordered. Now I just have to figure out the wood portion. I'm thinking some kind of hardwood frame, and fold-out metal legs. Gotta find something neo-mid-century looking. Then this could sit in the living room sometimes. :D

JMVIII-C.png

EF4F2F37-C1DF-4EDF-8800-FF217947EF03.jpeg

26532300-1277-429B-814D-01797C3A8333.jpeg

I’ve done curved button rows before, but after some thought this layout seemed best. The first four (diamond) can be used as a second directional control for things like Smash TV where two players need two sticks. For one player like Robotron both real sticks can be used. Also, since there are six, the buttons could even be used like a cursor/WASD type setup. Not sure what that would be useful for, but an extra option anyway. The “extra” button below the coin and start buttons will be backlit, and used for MiSTer menu, or both can be used for pinball paddles. I’m almost thinking I should have crammed a trackball in the middle, but maybe I’ll do another revision in the future, or make an add-on.

Sorry for the big tangent. I figured this was probably MiSTer related in some ways.

Back from metal facility :D

5B44B6AF-792F-4C2E-A35A-5D1598F2F8E7.jpeg

AECC5D2A-827E-4C28-ADFE-E500CD16E1C3.jpeg

Now I just need the sticks and spinners to show up....

Just a heads up. I recently reinstalled my MiSTer from scratch and noticed my save games I backed up were not working. Not sure why, but I had to create new saved games, then overwrite them with the old ones, then they worked. Anyone know why it does this?

Just a heads up. I recently reinstalled my MiSTer from scratch and noticed my save games I backed up were not working. Not sure why, but I had to create new saved games, then overwrite them with the old ones, then they worked. Anyone know why it does this?
Folder permissions, maybe?

That happened to me several versions back (months ago). I actually just started fresh though, and didn’t take time to investigate. Of course if I was in the middle of a bunch of RPGs or something I would have dug deeper. I’ve mainly been playing shooters, platformers, etc. though...

So, mouser shows 1 0 in stock de10-nano boards, and just about everywhere has 2+ week lead time. Better to just order it direct from terasic in tw?

Edit: Your welcome, whoever bought that one board. :p

Last edited:
So, mouser shows 1 0 in stock de10-nano boards, and just about everywhere has 2+ week lead time. Better to just order it direct from terasic in tw?

Edit: Your welcome, whoever bought that one board. :p
Best to grab it when you see it :D

I’m getting ready to build a second one for other purposes.

Best to grab it when you see it :D

I’m getting ready to build a second one for other purposes.
Came back in stock a few minutes later. Probably somebody canceled an order. Ordered one because I got lots of OT this month. :D

I'm debating on building another as well. As I'm currently talking myself out of getting the Arcade board.

The arcade board looks cool, but the support isn't quite where I wish it was yet. I'd like to see more late 80s early 90s arcade games in there. I want more shooters like Air Buster for example. Maybe the later 2D Namco boards, Sega System 16, etc. Then I would think about building a cabinet for it. As it is though, I don't even use a CRT :D I hook my MiSTer up to the 87" TV most of the time, or a smaller monitor in my studio when that's in use. I do love the old classics though, (hence the spinners on my new stick setup). Old arcade games and Bally Astrocade games will be pretty fun with those.

I still have two 32MB SDRAM boards from when my brother and I went to 128MB on our current ones, so I'm thinking it would be cool to build some smaller form factor MiSTers for anything that doesn't require much SDRAM. My main one is a little bigger than I'd like for semi-portable use. Or it would work well as a console/computer setup and a separate arcade setup of course.

The arcade board looks cool, but the support isn't quite where I wish it was yet. I'd like to see more late 80s early 90s arcade games in there. I want more shooters like Air Buster for example. Maybe the later 2D Namco boards, Sega System 16, etc. Then I would think about building a cabinet for it. As it is though, I don't even use a CRT :D I hook my MiSTer up to the 87" TV most of the time, or a smaller monitor in my studio when that's in use. I do love the old classics though, (hence the spinners on my new stick setup). Old arcade games and Bally Astrocade games will be pretty fun with those.

I still have two 32MB SDRAM boards from when my brother and I went to 128MB on our current ones, so I'm thinking it would be cool to build some smaller form factor MiSTers for anything that doesn't require much SDRAM. My main one is a little bigger than I'd like for semi-portable use. Or it would work well as a console/computer setup and a separate arcade setup of course.
I have an arcade cab already (Turtles 89 and Simpsons PCBs already in it). So, adding the board wouldn't be much effort. Just needing a jamma selector. Still I'm probably going to wait for a later revision. I don't really feel like being an early adopter on that particular thing. I do think we'll see some stuff in the next year pop up. Once the PSX core is released, that could pave the way for some of that Tekken era Namco Arcade Ports. It'll be neat to see how they might do Time Crisis. I'm going to acquire a GunCon for the PSX, for the PSX core. But, curious how'll it'll all work if it happens.

One will need to get an RCA splitter cable and extension for the Guncon.

Also, curious if someone will work on getting the Sinden to work on MiSTer.

451 units magically appeared on mouser after I made my order, in case anyone else did want to order.

All the shipping up to 2-day was $8.99-ish for fedex/usps/ups. Supposedly shipping soon.

Just in case anyone missed it...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/nes-savestate-49822706

The NES Core has got Save States. I’m playing around with this release and it’s quite awesome. I might actually tackle Castlevania 3 now that I can leave and come back.

I imagine it’ll get integrated into the main core soon.

Also, if you haven’t already, Misterfpga.org is a really great place for more info.

Last edited:
I’m waiting for MT32-Pi hat resellers in the US. No one is selling them. I would build my own from the repo gerbers, but I would have to buy enough for 5 PCBs and components to make one, and resell the rest to make it worth it for me. Save states are awesome since we are not kids anymore and not able to stay on a game all day.

I’m waiting for MT32-Pi hat resellers in the US. No one is selling them. I would build my own from the repo gerbers, but I would have to buy enough for 5 PCBs and components to make one, and resell the rest to make it worth it for me. Save states are awesome since we are not kids anymore and not able to stay on a game all day.
Psh...just leave it running. :p

The C64 core just got a bunch of really good SID chip updates! Really excited about that, being a HUGE SID nerd!

I'm hoping by the end of the year most of the other consoles cores will have Save States too. Though, NES was the big one for me personally. It would be nice to see it in Genesis and SNES too. Or, as someone said, "Even a suspend feature would be nice." Also, I hope someone is able to make a Profile Save or Setting Save for the Arcade Configurations. I just want 3 player AVP always ready to go. HAHA.

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=202&sid=e2eaa055224cf669a21b1fb0cbb794dc
Legacypixels has them in stock, supposedly. Haven't ordered from them, but they're on the forums, anyway.

So, still waiting on a few things. Might try messing around with it in the meanwhile, since the yard is soaked and got nothin better to do.

In transit parts for my build:
Case: Silverstone Milo-10
USB/SDRAM boards, via MiSTer Addons

In Cart, not ordered yet:
Meanwell GST60A05-P1J (5V 6A)
3x Sunon MF50100V3-1000U-A99 (50mm 5V fan)
Adafruit 1352 (1->4 2.1mm DC cable)
Gravitech JACK21-F-TERM (2.1mm -> term block)

In consideration (unsure if I'll need/what size):
Nylon/metal press-fit standoffs

Will take pics with board in case later, once it has arrived. Might be a few days...

So, still waiting on a few things. Might try messing around with it in the meanwhile, since the yard is soaked and got nothin better to do.

In transit parts for my build:
Case: Silverstone Milo-10
USB/SDRAM boards, via MiSTer Addons

In Cart, not ordered yet:
Meanwell GST60A05-P1J (5V 6A)
3x Sunon MF50100V3-1000U-A99 (50mm 5V fan)
Adafruit 1352 (1->4 2.1mm DC cable)
Gravitech JACK21-F-TERM (2.1mm -> term block)
Order submitted to mouser. Also added:
Heyco 10629 10 ct. (0.25" nylon PCB support)
adafruit 1505 2 ct. (blk momentary bttn)
adafruit 1988 2 ct. (40-pin gpio cable)
adafruit 3319 (stereo extension pnl mnt)
adafruit 556 (10-pin idc cable)

$70 shipped. Hopefully not wasted monies...I'm sure I'll use them somewhere. lol

Edit: Ordered two heatsinks, $10 more unless I can convince them to combine the orders. lol

Last edited:
Rolled some cables for the three fans that will flank one side of my case. Probably way longer than necessary, considering I still need to splice the fan's leads on. Need to redo the end on the white one anyway...

IMG_20210418_203945386~2.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some parts by mid week. One shipment decided to jump over louisiana, all the way to Alabama...

Back