MiSTer FPGA - Retro Console Hardware

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Got my ML-10 in.
Plus side, Looks like I can mount the DE10-nano on the HDD bracket (hanging upside down in the case), although I lose the top (120/140mm) fan in the short case config if I do...wasn't planning to use one anyway.
Otoh, there's really not much room for much else. Planning to put all my I/O on the back, except maybe the USB ports. To that end, there is a punch-out hole for serial on one side, looks like, which I'll probably use for VGA. And I cut a chunk of scrap steel plate to close-enough, and ground it to damn-near-the-right-size for the rear i/o shield where I'll mount the rest. Still need to shave a bit more off and cut holes, but that can wait.

Geronimo

[H]ard|Gawd
Got my ML-10 in.
Plus side, Looks like I can mount the DE10-nano on the HDD bracket (hanging upside down in the case), although I lose the top (120/140mm) fan in the short case config if I do...wasn't planning to use one anyway.
Otoh, there's really not much room for much else. Planning to put all my I/O on the back, except maybe the USB ports. To that end, there is a punch-out hole for serial on one side, looks like, which I'll probably use for VGA. And I cut a chunk of scrap steel plate to close-enough, and ground it to damn-near-the-right-size for the rear i/o shield where I'll mount the rest. Still need to shave a bit more off and cut holes, but that can wait.
Nice! I was thinking of somehow mounting mine somewhere in my PC case somehow. I think I can get it done. My PC is already near my TV, and connected to my DENON AVR

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Nice! I was thinking of somehow mounting mine somewhere in my PC case somehow. I think I can get it done. My PC is already near my TV, and connected to my DENON AVR
It's a couple mm off, so I can only use two screws in the diagonal with it slightly ascew, or two on one of the long sides (which I don't like). And it's not close to matching a single set of 2.5" drive holes, it just happens to work in this case due to the design of the bracket, the way they placed the holes so that you have more flexibility.

Got the MiSTer USB board and sdram from misteraddons.com. The USB board looks good, but the soldering on the ram module looks...dodgy. Supposedly tested, but not inspiring confidence at first glance.

Anyway, installed the heatsink I got from Mouser (also today) and the ram, assembled, and put in case (temp, of course). Here's a sneak peek from the back of the (upside-down) case:
IMG_20210421_221000963.jpg

Have 3-5mm above the SDRAM, not enough for another hat, but good enough for me. I could put the tall case top and mount to the vent holes if I really needed more room. Air will be pulled to the right and out of the case, unfortunately around the SDRAM. Fresh air comes in along the left side, and the top (but that's mostly blocked by the MiSTer and HDD bracket).

Reactions: J3RK
like this

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Got the stuff I ordered.

The switches are...bigger than expected. Guess that happens when you don't even look at the specs. XD
The mean well didn't come with an AC cable...hadn't considered that. XD
The 5-way DC splitter works, the fans work (loud, as expected), phono plug looks good, gpio cables are suitable, 10-pin cable works (not sure if I'll need it).

Scrapped my fan cables (except a wire each). They were bulky and wouldn't fit the block the way I terminated them. Instead, I spliced the fan wires into a single wire in parallel, and ran that into the terminal block.

Now I realize the HDMI output is on the wrong side, so I'll need a slim/flexible cable to run to the rear of the case.

twonunpackmule

[H]ard|Gawd
Was able to nab the MT32 Pi Hat from Misterfpga.co.uk today. A small stock of Yellow Text models showed up. :) Not the text color I was after...but meh.

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Heyco 10629 10 ct. (0.25" nylon PCB support)
Fwiw, the ID is too big on these for the brass standoffs to screw in, although the height is correct to match mitx standoffs. Plan to cut the bottom off and screw into the standoffs with some M3 screws instead, use them as spacers.

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Back panel mostly done. Drilled out the rivets and removed the back because it was gonna be a pita with all those rivets in the way anyway. Still need to make holes for the hdmi, vga, usb, and audio, and two holes to screw the top on. Need a 90° DC connector because the fans are in the way.

IMG_20210507_171920460.jpg

Irwin Multi-Bit made quick work of the (+1/4") holes, but I should have used a fence to line up the holes for the buttons. Oh well. :/