"Mission Control"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atech

2[H]4U
I work for an "new" ISP in Denmark(1.5 years old), we have just moved to a new location this weekend, and the first thing that we setup where our NSC (network monitoring):
dosn't look like much, but for here we can monitor all of our network :cool:

dsc00098so1.jpg

so how does your mission control look like?
(I will update this thread as soon at the NSC is up and running fullblown ;)

What software are you guys using for the traffic graphs? And what's on the left most monitor? (Nagios is easy to recognize)

What software are you guys using for the traffic graphs? And what's on the left most monitor? (Nagios is easy to recognize)

We are opensource in our specific monitoring tools(in house) so that is not much of an answer I can give you there..besides that you spotted Nagios ;)

Looks like Cacti or some other RRD tool doing the graphing.

It's a simple webpage, pulling the graphs form our core, switch, router ect. and scrolling them along, så you can look for anomelies that the software dosn't pick up :)

Mission Control 1.01..we upgraded the LCD's, got survailance cams up..and the GF sleeps on a FatBoy behind me:

She is here because I am getting surgery (nothing "serious") in the hand today

Is that some ganglia for grid / cluster node monitoring? Nagios imo is superior to any other monitoring ware

Nagios... how did I live without it?

Kinda hard....even thoguh I could do without the SMS spam at times...Nagios is really paraonid...but the again, it's a goood thing.
But Nagios cannot detect all errors, so it's npt our only tool.

Is that some ganglia for grid / cluster node monitoring? Nagios imo is superior to any other monitoring ware

We use Nagios to alert us to hardware down, but for online count, number of SIP-users, trafic data(Nagios can't catch all sort of errors) we use other software, so that a human eye can detect stuff no script would be able to do.

nice environment you have there with the wood floors.

I'm planning on redoing my mission control too, planning for 10 monitors for systems monitoring and several others for various cameras and such... too bad I don't have such a nice floor (white vynl tile, white walls).

is your control center in your house? i'm confused about where you're located... it doesn't look like an ISP's business

This is my company's NOC (part of it anyway):

You must work for a small ISP.

Denmark is 5 million people in total.
We supply ~90.000 households now.
Last year our growth was 200%
The year before +700%
Only took 2½ years to become the 3rd biggest player in the market.

But yeah, one man can monitor/repair a netork like our ...when you setup smart ;)

While you get various command centers and you get impressive hundred+ monitor NOC's, you have to realize, it's not the bling, it's not the thousands of monitors, it's not the hundreds of staff, it's all on how functional and efficient the system is.

You can have ten thousand statistics listed on monitors wrapped around you, if you fail to read them or you fail at any check level, the entire system is worthless at that moment in time.

So while a lot of you expect to see the NASA command style room, most realistic NOCs are much smaller and fulfill their needs and functionality.

While you get various command centers and you get impressive hundred+ monitor NOC's, you have to realize, it's not the bling, it's not the thousands of monitors, it's not the hundreds of staff, it's all on how functional and efficient the system is.

You can have ten thousand statistics listed on monitors wrapped around you, if you fail to read them or you fail at any check level, the entire system is worthless at that moment in time.

So while a lot of you expect to see the NASA command style room, most realistic NOCs are much smaller and fulfill their needs and functionality.

QFT

For a decent size ISP, I expect to see something similar to what we have at our NOC. I definitely wouldn't expect to see what Atech posted. Maybe it's just a cultural thing though.

Denmark is 5 million people in total.
We supply ~90.000 households now.
Last year our growth was 200%
The year before +700%
Only took 2½ years to become the 3rd biggest player in the market.

But yeah, one man can monitor/repair a netork like our ...when you setup smart ;)

You probably just lease everything from bigger ISPs and resell it, I guess it's smart, but I definitely wouldn't post pictures like yours without expecting some questions from others.

You probably just lease everything from bigger ISPs and resell it, I guess it's smart, but I definitely wouldn't post pictures like yours without expecting some questions from others.

We have our own eqiment at the centrals:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1337143

Only thing we lease is the space at centrals plus the copper to the customer from the central
(Due to an old monopoly one company owns all the copper in Denmark, but thay have to give us access)

We might get 4 more 40" monitors for more "WOW-effect" when showing guests around, but we don't actually need them, it would be just for show.

A misconception (well helped by Hollywood) is that you need a gazillion monitors...you don't if you think smart ;)

EDIT:
And are you saying that those ISP's that lease everything, don't need to monitor their networks...because you comment is making no sense?

We have our own eqiment at the centrals:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1337143

Only thing we lease is the space at centrals plus the copper to the customer from the central
(Due to an old monopoly one company owns all the copper in Denmark, but thay have to give us access)

We might get 4 more 40" monitors for more "WOW-effect" when showing guests around, but we don't actually need them, it would be just for show.

A misconception (well helped by Hollywood) is that you need a gazillion monitors...you don't if you think smart ;)

EDIT:
And are you saying that those ISP's that lease everything, don't need to monitor their networks...because you comment is making no sense?

You seem to think I care about how many monitors you have... that's pretty insignificant IMO. My question is how you can support 90k customer with a single person, I don't believe that for a second... unless someone else is doing all the work. My company has ~90k customers as well, and there is no way a single person could manage/monitor our network at any given time, it's ridiculously huge.

So, maybe you guys have set your network up "smart" and you really only need a single person to manage/monitor it, but I doubt it. This isn't adding up. Why don't you tell us a bit about the hardware and technology you use?

You seem to think I care about how many monitors you have... that's pretty insignificant IMO. My question is how you can support 90k customer with a single person, I don't believe that for a second... unless someone else is doing all the work. My company has ~90k customers as well, and there is no way a single person could manage/monitor our network at any given time, it's ridiculously huge.

So, maybe you guys have set your network up "smart" and you really only need a single person to manage/monitor it, but I doubt it. This isn't adding up. Why don't you tell us a bit about the hardware and technology you use?
Im completely with Vito on this one, you CANNOT support 90k customers with one person efficiently, I dont care how "smart" you think that your network is setup.

Whats your SLA for your customers? Do you do business class accounts? Perhaps you're servicing 90.000 = 90 customers? That can be done with one person. If your ISP truly does have 90k customers, and you're the only NOC monkey then this service MUST be horrid. Equipment fails, bugs come up with different traffic flows, and to have to service all of these on an infrastructure to support 90k customers hammering(assuming) the gear you HAVE to have more people.

This is an expected setup for a small business owner, or consultant. Very nice and clean non the less. I like it.

Google NOC.

You are describing functions outside the realm of NOC, we don't plan our network, we don't have customer contact, we don't offer support...we keep our network running.

And I like the claim what we can or cannot do...we ARE doing it, deal with it.

Most of our software (in NOC) is inhouse (except for Nagios/Munin) just like support, customerservice, backoffce ect run on our own inhouse software (Expect for the MS Office suite, no need to invent the whell twice)

Like I said, it helps to plan, think smart and have custom tools...then you don't need +20 monitors.

Im completely with Vito on this one, you CANNOT support 90k customers with one person efficiently, I dont care how "smart" you think that your network is setup.

Whats your SLA for your customers? Do you do business class accounts? Perhaps you're servicing 90.000 = 90 customers? That can be done with one person. If your ISP truly does have 90k customers, and you're the only NOC monkey then this service MUST be horrid. Equipment fails, bugs come up with different traffic flows, and to have to service all of these on an infrastructure to support 90k customers hammering(assuming) the gear you HAVE to have more people.

This is an expected setup for a small business owner, or consultant. Very nice and clean non the less. I like it.

Must be hard, when reality dosn't agree with you.
To let you know, people like our service and support way better than the competition:

Fullrate - 7.9 - http://www.trustpilot.dk/review/www.fullrate.dk
TDC - 3.7 - http://www.trustpilot.dk/review/www.tdc.dk
Cybercity - 4.0 http://www.trustpilot.dk/review/www.tdc.dk
Telia - 4.1 - http://www.trustpilot.dk/review/www.tdc.dk

So either I am clueless, our customers are clueless and our network dosn't have +90.000 individual customers that get a +99% uptime...or you are clueless and can't think outside the box.

Or does people from US NOC's also serve as supporters for calling customers? :eek:

Must be hard, when reality dosn't agree with you.
To let you know, people like our service and support way better than the competition:

Fullrate - 7.9 - http://www.trustpilot.dk/review/www.fullrate.dk
TDC - 3.7 - http://www.trustpilot.dk/review/www.tdc.dk
Cybercity - 4.0 http://www.trustpilot.dk/review/www.tdc.dk
Telia - 4.1 - http://www.trustpilot.dk/review/www.tdc.dk

So either I am clueless, our customers are clueless and our network dosn't have +90.000 individual customers that get a +99% uptime...or you are clueless and can't think outside the box.

Or does people from US NOC's also serve as supporters for calling customers? :eek:
Im going to go with you being clueless.

Wow, you clearly have NO idea who you are talking to small potatoes. Go back under your rock. How many 9's is the 99% uptime for you 90,000 customers? Whatever dude. I showed some people where I work(who work with REAL service providers) your thread and they blatantly laughed at your statements. You're nixed bro, end of discussion.

Like I said though, nice enthusiast setup :p

EDIT: I once agree with Vito, how about you tell us how your network is setup so smart, without just providing us with a wikey face after it. How many AS's are you guys peering with and which ways? How are you providing reliable transport services for your customers? Honestly, I would like to know these things(im also coming from a service provider environment). If Berky sees this, Im sure he will chime in and call shens as he works for the same SP I do.

Last edited:
Wikipedia said:
A network operations center (or NOC, pronounced "nock") is one or more locations from which control is exercised over a computer, television broadcast, or telecommunications network."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Operations_Center

Maybe you are the one who needs to Google. You're saying a single person sits in that little room and handles your network of 90k+ customers? Sure...

So you still haven't explained what technologies and hardware you guys utilize. I get that you've done everything "smart", but can you give me some more detail about what you "ARE" doing so maybe I can "deal with it"? What exactly is your role in all this? I get that you don't want 20+ monitors, why don't you give us some detail on your actual function? It seems like you (or the single guy you claim works in the NOC) just stares at stuff, waits for some alarms and then calls a real engineer (or a couple of them) to fix the issues... or your company doesn't do anything other than monitor and escalate to whoever owns the equipment you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back