Missing Star Wars Soundtrack Prompts Monetization Claim...for Music

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This video has been around for a couple of years, and is worth a watch, just for the lulz if you have not seen it before. What is at the crux of this story is very strange however. As you will see below, it is close award scene from the first Star Wars movie without the awesome musical score that makes the scene what it is. And now the copyright owner of the music has filed a monetization claim through YouTube over the music that is NOT in the video. I'm confused, are you? Wired has the full write up and I am still confused, especially since the company filing the claim will not comment about it.

Check out the video.

That’s what the Auralnauts discovered earlier this summer when they received word that Warner/Chappell—the global music publishing arm of Warner Music Group—had filed a monetization claim on their “Star Wars Minus Williams” video through YouTube's Content ID System. That’s right: The copyright holder was claiming ownership of something that wasn’t there. Under the claim, Warner would receive any future ad revenue earned by the video, which has been viewed more than four million times. The company’s effort to monetize silence transformed the Auralnauts video: Once just a clever gag, it quickly became a flashpoint in the broader YouTube conflict between freedom of expression and copyright protection.

What the fuck?

IIRC that video is essentialy commentary on how music contributes to cinematic composition greatly. Alternately, it's cringe inducingly funny.

1) it doesn't have the claimed infringed material.
2) If it did, it would likely fall under fair use.

Some lawyers need to be fed their own ass.

What the fuck?

IIRC that video is essentialy commentary on how music contributes to cinematic composition greatly. Alternately, it's cringe inducingly funny.

This is automated systems breaking down. If YouTube had the common sense and/or manpower, they could review the claim and discard it as frivolous / no-merit.

Instead, it's likely another automated system handling the creators defense, which will eventually make it to an intern who will just accept the claim as-is.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
when I was 4-5 I always confused this scene with the wedding scene from clash of the titans. I also thought spaceballs was the 4th star wars movie until I was about 8-10.

I think the video has like 5 seconds of the John Williams score so maybe their automated bots picked up on that?

OK anyone who has not watched the Auralnauts most awesome "Jedi Dance Party" movies (all the prequels are great, the New Hope one is OK but way too long) are missing out big time. Stop what you are doing and watch these, if you love Star Wars.

This one is so full of great lines it's hard to choose....
"You told me there was a bar here! Yeah my bad."
"Thank you, magic trash can!"
"Violence is what happens..."

"I'm Larry. Larry Kenobi. Would you like to buy some drugs, Larry? Yes, that would be awesome!"

"You should've told me you liked her! Hoes come AFTER bros!"

Seriously, watch this shit right now. And I'm ashamed of any of you that haven't yet, these have been around for years.

Oh and love how all the space ships have subwoofers!

What the fuck?

You don't understand. This is Youtube. The copyright holders have a lot of money. This is going to go on forever.

OK anyone who has not watched the Auralnauts most awesome "Jedi Dance Party" movies (all the prequels are great, the New Hope one is OK but way too long) are missing out big time. Stop what you are doing and watch these, if you love Star Wars.

This one is so full of great lines it's hard to choose....
"You told me there was a bar here! Yeah my bad."
"Thank you, magic trash can!"
"Violence is what happens..."

"I'm Larry. Larry Kenobi. Would you like to buy some drugs, Larry? Yes, that would be awesome!"

"You should've told me you liked her! Hoes come AFTER bros!"

Seriously, watch this shit right now. And I'm ashamed of any of you that haven't yet, these have been around for years.

Oh and love how all the space ships have subwoofers!

OMG THANK YOU

This is like Congress making a product that mandates you to buy it or face a tax penalty. You didn't use my music in your video, you must pay me.

Back