Missing modular 6-pin power cable, safe to use Sata to 6-pin?

techtips

Gawd
Specs:

-Enermax Modu 82+ PSU
-Sapphire HD 5750 Vapor-X

Hello everyone,

I have tried my best to search google and get some kind of answer but haven't found much to solve my inquiry.

I am putting together a i5 desktop for my home office. As I assembled everything into my Fractal Design case last night, my modular Enermax 82+ PSU was missing the red 6-pin power cord.

I tossed in a temporary video card to get up and running and trying to figure out what to do.

I've sent a request to enermax to see if I can purchase the cable but haven't got a reply back yet.

I did come across some Sata to 6-pin connectors, like this one below:
418fe5-L9nL._SX425_.jpg

I've been told by a local PC shop that the Sata-to-6-pin connector wouldn't be able to provide enough power to the GPU.

I've also seen Y-cables, 2 Sata to one 6-pin connector adapter cables, which I guess would help more?

Has anybody used an adapter like this before and can give me a suggestion or two?

Thank you

What is the GPU?

Safest will be to use the Y adapter on two different SATA power cables. Using two connectors on the same cable is almost the same as using the single.

Tsumi,

Specs:

-Enermax Modu 82+ PSU
-Sapphire HD 5750 Vapor-X

I've looked locally and I can't seem to find a Y-Split Sata cable to one 6-pin adapter.

Example:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/adva...d=1427&keywords=sata&cPath=&sort=2&filter_id=

There are only two cables, both are one-to-one. One Sata connector to the 6-pin. The other cable is the same but 6+2 pins for other video cards.

The unit is a i5 760 with 8gb DDR3 memory. I'm not doing anything intense on it or any overclocking at this moment.

A sata connector can only deliver 50w of 12v power before the pins get overloaded.

The 5750 uses around 90w in full load, so the slot alone should power it. You'll likely be fine.

Arcygenical,

Thanks for the reply and helps clear it up a bit. For the 5750 being used in full load (90w), would that be playing a more recent game and working the card good or is that a representation of overclocking it?

So from what I understand, if I was able to get one of those Y-Sata to 6-pin connectors, I would connect each sata connector to each separate power line from the power supply to provide the card with a max of 100w?

The slot is only spec'ed for 75w. And it might decide to draw 75w off the 6-pin connector.

It would be safest to get a Y adapter.

Tom's says the 5750 draws 86 watts with FurMark.

Must have overlooked that part.

You should be fine. According to TPU, the card uses about 54 watts on average, and peaks at 66 watts in gaming. This is at stock clocks. Overclocked will likely max out at 90-100 watts.

So guys, as I am fairly new to this...what would happen if I did decide to run this card, overclocked with the single sata-to-6pin connector.

Since it would be much more watts running then what would be safe bet, would that cause potential cables from melting/overheating and such?

Just curious as I am new to this.

its all theoretical, but yes overloading the wires could lead to melting, especially if theyre cheap.

I powered a 8800gtx for a while with two Molex to 6pin connectors when my psu only had 4 and I needed 6. Worked pretty well and was only around $3 on ebay for both cables.

Thanks for all the replies, it helped me understand a bit more :)

Now to the actual issue at hand.

I went out and I was able to only source a non-Y Sata to 6-pin connector.
I installed it a few minutes ago and my pc would not boot. The power LED goes on then shuts off shortly after, the pc is dead quiet. When I unplug the 6-pin adapter, the system seems to wake up with the fans spinning on what seems to be on full speed.

I tossed in my backup 1gb video card in there that does not require any extra power and the unit boots just fine.

Could it be that I am lacking enough juice to power the card?

More likely your card is defective. Or the connector is wired incorrectly, which seems unlikely but could be the cause.

On boot, your card does not draw that much power. The PCI-E slot alone would be more than sufficient to provide the power it needs on boot. Actually, the card's typical power usage (50-70 watts) does not exceed the PCI-E slot's capability, which is 75 watts.

Thanks for all the replies, it helped me understand a bit more :)

Now to the actual issue at hand.

I went out and I was able to only source a non-Y Sata to 6-pin connector.
I installed it a few minutes ago and my pc would not boot. The power LED goes on then shuts off shortly after, the pc is dead quiet. When I unplug the 6-pin adapter, the system seems to wake up with the fans spinning on what seems to be on full speed.

I tossed in my backup 1gb video card in there that does not require any extra power and the unit boots just fine.

Could it be that I am lacking enough juice to power the card?

More likely your card is defective. Or the connector is wired incorrectly, which seems unlikely but could be the cause.

On boot, your card does not draw that much power. The PCI-E slot alone would be more than sufficient to provide the power it needs on boot. Actually, the card's typical power usage (50-70 watts) does not exceed the PCI-E slot's capability, which is 75 watts.
It powers up without the adapter, so everything is attempting to turn on. The card may still block a bootup attempt and cause POST to hang, but at least it powers on.

With the adapter on, it doesn't even power on. This tells me there is a short or incorrect wiring somewhere either on the 6 pin plug on the card, or the adapter. This results in the power supply detecting the issue and its failsafes preventing power on. If that card worked before with a 6 pin plug in it, it is likely the adapter.

In all honesty, SATA adapter cables don't exactly have a good track record.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1726933
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/714070-MOLEX-to-Sata-connector-caught-fire
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2390789
Granted, these adapters were 4 pin molex to SATA, but the failure always occurs on the SATA side of the adapter due to an increase in pin density and poor manufacturing. As someone else mentioned previously, the actual plug isn't rated for all that power even though the wires coming out of it are. I'm not entirely sure if the card will switch to 6pin plug power or use a combo of slot power and plug, but I wouldn't risk it.

Due to these issues OP, at the minimum get a 2x SATA to 6pin PCIe adapter, or simply get one of the older style 2x 4pin Molex to 6pin PCIe adapters. The second choice is preferable if your PSU still has the older plugs.

Last edited:
Tsumi,

Before I moved the card was in my old tower and worked like a charm.

CaptNumbNutz,

I wasn't able to locate a 2-sata to 6-pin connector, my friend thought he had one but didn't. What he did have was a EVGA 850 B2 power supply.

I brought it home and installed it, along with my 5750 card and voila! everything boots up because it has enough cables for the GPU.

I guess with my previous enermax power supply and the one sata-to-6-pin connector, it wasn't enough power.

As CaptNumbNutz said, the symptoms you described are much more likely that the SATA to 6-pin connector was causing a short which prevented the PSU from powering on.

Back