Missing ISCSI Datastore on ESXi 5.1

sybreeder

Limp Gawd
Hello

I have All in one box with ESXI 5.1 installed and inside i have VM with Freenas that has configurad iscsi targed for esxi - it generally work but when i restart host machine - even if freenas will boot - iscsi datastore is unavaliable - i have to refresh datastores and then it will show up on the system. Well i could just never reboot both freenas and host but what if i have to ?
Have you noticed the same issue ? Or maybe it's because of fact that i use freenas inside of esxi?
I use FreeNAS 9.1

iSCSI is not a good choice for all in one. Seems like esxi timeout is too short. NFS works just fine though.

It appears ESXi only scans for iSCSI Datastores at boot and then never after unless you tell it to manually. It does appear to attempt to connect to NFS data stores at regular intervals so as danswartz said that might be a better choice.

Oh.. Ok so i'll have to test NFS then. There will be noticeble speed difference between NFS and ISCSI ?
on ISCSI first part is rather very slow. I did test using HD Tune and till about half of the drive the speed wasn't very good but when it hit that half - it jumped to 2000MB/s - is this normal ?
I assume that that part was from RAM - ZARC am i correct?

Keep in mind you will want to set sync=disabled on the nfs datastore or writes will be ungodly slow due to esxi forcing sync mode. This is usually considered dangerous, but IMO if you are doing an all in one, if the host crashes, the guest/datastore is also down...

Back