Missing contents .mpp files.

ElekSzalai

n00b
Within a Windows domain, users have access to a specific .mpp project file and update notes on a daily basis to it. Last week, from a period of one day to another, the notes within the cells of the .mpp file have disappeared. The icon next to the cell where notes would normally be shown is still there however. Is there any possibility that the file may have gotten corrupted? That being said, can it be repaired like an Outlook .pst file?

Hello,

It sounds like your file has been messed up. Why this happened is an interesting question, but not one that you are likely to track down. The most probable cause is that some one or some thing opened the file with the wrong tool and attempted to do something inappropriate with it.

I'm sorry, but unlike Outlook there is not repair facility for project mpp files. It is time to look for a backup file. Or try to use Recovery Toolbox for project, if you can not find the needed backup file. How to recover corrupted Microsoft Project mpp files? Project Recovery Toolbox

Of greater concern is the possibility that this could happen again. I would caution you against the use of a shared project file. There is simply no accountability and when something odd happens, you are just out of luck.

If your operational resources include a Windows Server 2003 or 2008 system, I would strongly consider installing and configuring a Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) team collaboration site. This will allow your team to share notes in a forum that is relatively safe and secure.

Back