Mirror’s Edge Catalyst 4K Screenshots

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Reports from the beta would suggest that the game not only looks great, but runs great.

In 4K, the beta build of Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst ran with 20-40fps. However, there were occasions during which our framerate dropped at 4-5fps. Those drops were due to VRAM limitations. In 4K, the game demands more than 6GB of VRAM in order to be enjoyed (something that explains those awful framerate figures that owners of NVIDIA’s GTX970 GPUs had previously reported). In 1080p, the game ran with a minimum framerate of 70fps on Ultra settings. We did not experience any drops or stutters, so we’re almost certain that cards equivalent to NVIDIA’s GTX970 will be able to handle the game with constant 60fps at 1080p.

Funny thing: another member here sent me a closed beta key a few days ago and I was so jazzed about giving it a go because I really loved the original Mirror's Edge, unfortunately my current hardware just can't handle Catalyst worth a damn which really sucks. Perhaps sometime this year I'll finally get an opportunity to upgrade my business class laptop to something with a bit more capabilities. Great screenshots, though, unfortunately I'm on a low resolution display (1600x900) so it really doesn't do justice to 'em in their native resolution glory.

My 280x is pushing 75+fps pretty easily at 1080! Frostbyte engine does not disappoint!

Here my picture of the game on triple monitors:

jHdTVgM.jpg

Funny thing: another member here sent me a closed beta key a few days ago and I was so jazzed about giving it a go because I really loved the original Mirror's Edge, unfortunately my current hardware just can't handle Catalyst worth a damn which really sucks. Perhaps sometime this year I'll finally get an opportunity to upgrade my business class laptop to something with a bit more capabilities. Great screenshots, though, unfortunately I'm on a low resolution display (1600x900) so it really doesn't do justice to 'em in their native resolution glory.

Your hardware must be ancient then because Frostbite is extremely optimized and runs well even on older hardware.

damn that looks good! So tired of hearing the PC is dead - an xbox and an ipad aint doin that!

Great screenshots, though, unfortunately I'm on a low resolution display (1600x900) so it really doesn't do justice to 'em in their native resolution glory.

That's not a bad resolution for this game though. The PS4 version actually has an internal resolution of 900p. The Xbox is even lower at 720p.

I'm actually playing at about the 4:3 equivalent of 900p, since I'm more concerned about turning up the graphics settings than hitting super high framerates or resolutions. Of course, I'm in the process of building a beefier PC, so I'll be playing at a much higher resolution when the retail game hits.

I don't really see the benefit of 4K based on these screenshots. The games just looks worse, as there isn't enough environmental or texture detail to help fill the resolution. You end up downgrading in detail-per-pixel.

It looks great at 1080p, though.

Look another title where the 970s lied about limitation makes it fall shorter than it should. Something almost everyone said wouldn't affect anyone!
Im glad everyone else was right!

Reactions: N4CR
like this
If it runs great, it won't be included in [H]'s benchmark suite though.

I have to agree, the Frostbyte engine has proven again it stands in a league of its own.

What Mr. Anderson and the DICE team have been able to achieve with their Frostbyte engine is nothing short of phenomenal! Their lighting algorithms and optimizations are highly impressive. The way their engine can make use of 8+ CPU cores even under DX11 and their work developing Mantle kinda tells me these guys also probably have a sort of hybrid engine able to use some low level access similar to DX12.

It runs great on PS4 too, I might be wrong but it feels like about 60fps and is more detailed than some games that barely make 30fps.

I'm a pretty hardcore 3D platform gamer, but I just can't get hyped for this sequel. The multiple layers of context-sensitive controls are just too demanding on my stupid brain, so I guess no free running for me.

It's too bad - I fought my way through the first two chapters of the game, but gave up because after hours I kept making the same damn mistakes. complex game for the sake of being complex = no fun.

Back