Mirror's Edge and Battlefield Bad Company 2 being removed from sale

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Some more games being removed from sale going forward. Mirror's Edge and Battlefield Bad Company 2 will no longer be for sale after April 28. If you own the games already, you can still play them offline. New purchases will just be restricted.

Baffling decision because Mirror's Edge is a single player game, maybe with an online score comparing feature that no one ever cared about and doesn't change how the game actually plays in anyway if I recall. Bad Company 2 has a fairly decent single player campaign. If you ever wanted to play these games without relying on some old torrent, I suppose you will need to buy them quickly before they are gone forever.

Edit:

Mirror's Edge is apparently not being pulled from sale. That was an error. Currently just Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 1943 will be removed.

Last edited:
At some point the cost of supporting old software sales overshadows keeping them available for a new generation....gotta figure someone buying a game this old may have struggles getting it to work on their modern 2023 system? So they drop a note to EA support.....that's tying up resources on a $4 game from 2009, etc. Maybe it's a licensing thing.....either way....sucks, but understandable.

Baffling decision because...

Yeah I don't get if the single player will still work fine, why not keep selling and make more money? Gotta be afraid of some wElL tEcHnIcAlLy lawsuit with selling a game where a part (the online component) doesn't work or something?

I already own the original Mirror's Edge, but had BC2 on the wishlist to buy with $5 of Steam card money one day. Oh well.

Yeah I don't get if the single player will still work fine, why not keep selling and make more money? Gotta be afraid of some wElL tEcHnIcAlLy lawsuit with selling a game where a part (the online component) doesn't work or something?

I already own the original Mirror's Edge, but had BC2 on the wishlist to buy with $5 of Steam card money one day. Oh well.

They can just update the store page and specify that the score board in Mirror's Edge doesn't work, and that BC2's multiplayer does not work. Very simple. You can still buy BC2 currently, but it is $20 on Steam.

Mirror's Edge is still worth playing even if not the worlds greatest game. In some ways it is better than Catalyst. It may be old but is still a somewhat unique experience, which is why it is lame that it will be removed from sale completely.

Man.. BFBC2's my favorite BF of all time. wonder why they're taking it down? that one ran on dedicated servers, i mean if they want to shut down official server then whatever but why try to kill the game?

i'm gonna have to load it up and get some rounds in. i haven't played it since one of my good friends died. this video always reminds me of the good times. if you played, you know.

Man.. BFBC2's my favorite BF of all time. wonder why they're taking it down? that one ran on dedicated servers, i mean if they want to shut down official server then whatever but why try to kill the game?

i'm gonna have to load it up and get some rounds in. i haven't played it since one of my good friends died. this video always reminds me of the good times. if you played, you know.

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. You can still play the multiplayer in COD4 and MW2 2009 despite them not being supported by the developer anymore. They're still available for sale, too.

A sniper rifle? Who needs that when you've got an 870 Combat with slugs.

I really miss BFBC2. Most multiplayer FPS games a tire of extremely quick. BFBC2 was one of those that lasted longer than normal for me, but I still reached a limit. However, the part I most miss was after I reached that limit, I found a new way to play that I loved (still more so than most games since then). I found a server that 24/7 played one map/game-mode. Forgot which ones, but it was a smaller desert urban map in a gameplay mode that couldn't be quickly won - might have just been a high limit TDM. The whole map had circular main road running around its sides with side alleys throughout. So you had easy road access throughout the entire map and plenty of places to swerve in and out of as you were being shot at.

Anyway, all I did was jump in a humvee and continuously drive around the map running people over and non-stop honking my horn (but i am not sure if that was client-side only sound?), including in the enemy spawn. Half the enemy team would constantly be shooting at me with everything they had - rockets flying past, mines being dropped around me, explosives and grenades being thrown at me, etc... But I would never shoot my gun - ever. When my humvee was destroyed, I would only use my knife or a grenade launcher until i could steal a vehicle out of their spawn if I lived long enough (and I often did as they chased me from building to building, with their entire base area crumbling over the course of the game as they grew angry destroying everything around trying to reduce places I could hide/run and/or drive).

Even without using any ranged weapons (other than grenade launcher sometimes), I ended up near or at the top of the kill list every game. Just with tons of roadkills, knife kills, and grenade close range grenade launcher kills (my preferred method actually hitting them directly with the grenade at a range that would not explode). Some people got so angry because I was one guy killing everyone in the spawn not even using a gun, but there were definitely people having fun trying to stop me too lol.

I really miss BFBC2. Most multiplayer FPS games a tire of extremely quick. BFBC2 was one of those that lasted longer than normal for me, but I still reached a limit. However, the part I most miss was after I reached that limit, I found a new way to play that I loved (still more so than most games since then). I found a server that 24/7 played one map/game-mode. Forgot which ones, but it was a smaller desert urban map in a gameplay mode that couldn't be quickly won - might have just been a high limit TDM. The whole map had circular main road running around its sides with side alleys throughout. So you had easy road access throughout the entire map and plenty of places to swerve in and out of as you were being shot at.

Anyway, all I did was jump in a humvee and continuously drive around the map running people over and non-stop honking my horn (but i am not sure if that was client-side only sound?), including in the enemy spawn. Half the enemy team would constantly be shooting at me with everything they had - rockets flying past, mines being dropped around me, explosives and grenades being thrown at me, etc... But I would never shoot my gun - ever. When my humvee was destroyed, I would only use my knife or a grenade launcher until i could steal a vehicle out of their spawn if I lived long enough (and I often did as they chased me from building to building, with their entire base area crumbling over the course of the game as they grew angry destroying everything around trying to reduce places I could hide/run and/or drive).

Even without using any ranged weapons (other than grenade launcher sometimes), I ended up near or at the top of the kill list every game. Just with tons of roadkills, knife kills, and grenade close range grenade launcher kills (my preferred method actually hitting them directly with the grenade at a range that would not explode). Some people got so angry because I was one guy killing everyone in the spawn not even using a gun, but there were definitely people having fun trying to stop me too lol.
Sounds like a blast. BF series was my favorite shooter of all time. For me it was all about the car bomb but running people down was a close second. My record was 6 players in one shot, the shit talking was epic, maybe the best part. So many great times. Never got to play 1943, it was supposed to come out on PC but never did far as I know.

"While these titles hold a special place in our heart, we’re now looking forward to creating new memories alongside you as we shift our focus towards our current and future Battlefield experiences." Do they mean turds like Battlefield 2042? FUCK EA!

https://vid.puffyan.us/watch?v=SGrPeu_4_sA

well sweet, looks like there's already a workaround for PC multiplayer. console players are SOL. i already got it working and played for a bit. still sux ea's gotta be like that though. here's the info in case anyone is looking to play
https://steamcommunity.com/app/24960/discussions/0/3818529263638080691/

***Bad Company 2 Alternate Servers PC for Post-Shutdown!***
Many are not aware that while BC2 will die a sad death on console, the PC version will live on via Project Rome. It is essentially alternate servers that will ensure Bad Company 2 lives on forever and does not rely on EA. See the links below for more information on getting this set up. RIP to Bad Company 1 and Battlefield 1943 which will be lost to time on 360 and PS3! It is as simple as placing the .dll file in your BC2 folder and registering for an account at https://veniceunleashed.net/signup to use for login in-game. Cheers!

Base Bad Company 2 and BC2: Vietnam DLC are supported, however it is up to the community to spin up more servers! I am inquiring about BC2 server rentals that can host Project Rome.

Download Project Rome here: https://veniceunleashed.net/downloads

Great Tool for changing settings pre-boot:

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/498-bad-company-2-configurator/

Steam Tutorial
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2634102400

Bad Company 2 is hands down the best Battlefield game ever created.
I don't know that I can dispute that statement.

BF2 and 3 are IMO also stellar games IMO. Then, well, priorities and designs changed, and it feels like they've been fighting with priorities which differ from making a great game recently.

sadly the multiplayer now is geared more for the ADHD children of today with instant respawns and vehicle respawns.. very few still play the proper way anymore, got boring real quick.

AT-4 best weapon to exist in any game. i was a god with that thing.

sadly the multiplayer now is geared more for the ADHD children of today with instant respawns and vehicle respawns.. very few still play the proper way anymore, got boring real quick.

AT-4 best weapon to exist in any game. i was a god with that thing.
Exactly. Tried playing Battlefield 2042 during the free steam trial. Tried multiple servers, game modes, maps, classes...both vehicle and infantry gameplay. It was all just fast-paced continuous shooting. Barely had any fun, and when I did, it wasn't nearly as fun as other games that I am already generally tired of playing. Essentially it was boring, even if it was free. Uninstalled before the free trial was even over.

Very sad news, I greatly enjoyed Bad Company 1 on Xbox 360 and on Playstation 3, and then Bad Company 2 on both and then on PC. In fact I contemplated getting an Xbox the last few years to play BC1 again but it never happened.
Bad Company 1 being lost to time on console is a shame, I doubt they'll ever put it out on PC since it does feel dated. Hopefully it can be emulated and multiplayer'd on PC in the future for preservation's sake. Great atmospheric game and maps, music, UI, and human feel. Could really relax and enjoy Bad Company 1 especially, but also BC2, in a way the newer titles don't allow. R.I.P. And thank you to the developers of that time. Definitely a product of limited compute and necessary restraint in game design. I had so much fun in BC1 scurrying the long way around maps and sneakily playing from behind enemy lines. The forced limitations were quite fun, and the destruction novel, not to mention the amazing sound design. A real gem and a damn shame it never got on PC where games can be preserved, as I imagine BC2 will be even as a multiplayer experience.

BF3 and BF4 blow it out of the water, in every way.
why did bf3 do away with the building destruction/physics that bc2 had? 4 didn't even bring it back like we had it in bc2, they introduced levelution but still.

Bad Company 2 was the best Battlefield game prove me wrong.
BF1942 was the best bf game of the entire series. BF2 was mediocre and took for ever for the game to become good. BF2142 was significantly better than BFBC2 but it was never given a chance because the BF community is garbage.. BF3 was eh, BF4 was better and the last relevant BF game, rest of them are just wannabe COD clones.
why did bf3 do away with the building destruction/physics that bc2 had? 4 didn't even bring it back like we had it in bc2, they introduced levelution but still.
because the building destruction was fake, it was all client side so each building broke differently for each person. they eventually tried to move it server side but put too much load on the servers so they dropped it.

Because people instantly destroying all viable cover on the map is not fun.

bf2 and 4 i really enjoyed, i dont have memory of playing bc not sure if i didnt care for them or ended up skipping them.

because the building destruction was fake, it was all client side so each building broke differently for each person. they eventually tried to move it server side but put too much load on the servers so they dropped it
if you say so, so why was it we could squad up in a building and everyone sniping out the windows but then when a tank blew a big hole in the side people be jumping out the hole or running down the stairs? i'm pretty sure it was happening the same for all of us.

plus it ran fine like that performance wise, i think i was only running a Phenom II X4 and GTS250 (rebadged 9800GTX+) at the time and it ran great!

Last edited:
Because people instantly destroying all viable cover on the map is not fun.
it was reset each round, if you played rush the map would evolve and new cover would come up, plus it wasn't "all" viable cover. and hey, a lot of people love that game and that was prob part of it? i thought it was pretty cool myself and kind of ground breaking at the time

bf2 and 4 i really enjoyed, i dont have memory of playing bc not sure if i didnt care for them or ended up skipping them.
well COD MW2 had just came out a few months before that so a lot of people were wrapped up in that at the time?

i remember trying to trying to evangelize the greatness of BC2 to my cousin and a few different people at the time but they wouldn't give up their COD, they were hooked. so what do you do? 🤷‍♂️

well COD MW2 had just came out a few months before that so a lot of people were wrapped up in that at the time?

i remember trying to trying to evangelize the greatness of BC2 to my cousin and a few different people at the time but they wouldn't give up their COD, they were hooked. so what do you do? 🤷‍♂️
I do remember a lot of hours on mw2 so i guess i was one of those plebs that went that way lol.

At some point the cost of supporting old software sales overshadows keeping them available for a new generation....gotta figure someone buying a game this old may have struggles getting it to work on their modern 2023 system? So they drop a note to EA support.....that's tying up resources on a $4 game from 2009, etc. Maybe it's a licensing thing.....either way....sucks, but understandable.
How is GOG staying in business then?

How is GOG staying in business then?
Seriously, I just bought a bunch of old games on there for my Windows 98 PC I've been working on. They apparently don't have any problem maintaining their business and selling these old games I bought for $0.79-$4.99.

Exactly. Tried playing Battlefield 2042 during the free steam trial. Tried multiple servers, game modes, maps, classes...both vehicle and infantry gameplay. It was all just fast-paced continuous shooting. Barely had any fun, and when I did, it wasn't nearly as fun as other games that I am already generally tired of playing. Essentially it was boring, even if it was free. Uninstalled before the free trial was even over.

Battlefield 2042 wasn’t made for Battlefield players. That’s why no one likes it.

Back