Mint Linux

fightingfi

2[H]4U
total newb to minty stuff how do i get the software for videos to watch that ive d\l its asking for some package i have NO idea wtf im doing

Open a terminal window, [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [T].

Copy/paste the following commands:

Code:
sudo apt install libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly libdvd-pkg
sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

When using terminal you don't need to physically copy and paste in the traditional sense. Simply highlight the text, go to the terminal window and press the center mouse button.

Open a terminal window, [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [T].

Copy/paste the following commands:

Code:
sudo apt install libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly libdvd-pkg
sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

When using terminal you don't need to physically copy and paste in the traditional sense. Simply highlight the text, go to the terminal window and press the center mouse button.
I always use Shift + Insert to paste to terminal. Didn't even realize there was another way. Also, Ctrl + Insert will copy highlighted text in terminal.

For OP, it's generally pretty safe to follow Ubuntu instructions for anything Mint. Might just want to keep your eye on the version it applies to. ie, LM 19 runs on Ubuntu 18.04, etc. Minor versions aren't of a really big concern (.04). The major version is typically what you're concerned with.

Most videos that you've downloaded can be watched with the built in mediaplayer of Mint without installing anything.

Most videos that you've downloaded can be watched with the built in mediaplayer of Mint without installing anything.

I could be wrong as I really don't like Mint so I don't use it, but I don't think the distro downloads the restricted extras on install anymore...

I could be wrong as I really don't like Mint so I don't use it, but I don't think the distro downloads the restricted extras on install anymore...
Same here but last time I installed it, the setup had a tick box to install the non free addons.

Back