minipod

Originally posted by Rocketpig
To create a product just to make consumers think that your original product is a deal is ridiculous. Apple created the Mini to undercut their original iPod and to attract a different market (women in particular IMO, look at the colors) who might not be as tech-savvy as the posters on this board.

I'm not saying that they made the mini to make the regular look attractive. That would be corporate suicide, to introduce a product that is not meant to sell. (Not to be mistaken with not selling "well")

What I'm saying is that they priced it so that someone SPECIFICALLY looking at iPods would get a MORE expensive iPod, with higher capacity.
Meanwhile, someone looking at expensive flash players would see the cheaper mini iPod and get that instead of an iRiver/Rio/whatever.

They did make the mini iPod to attract a different market. Those looking for lower-capacity, "smaller" players. Not just women. I know several people who had the money for an iPod, but skipped out and bought a 512 mb based flash player because they didn't need 10-15gbs, it was smaller, and they could jog/ lift/ dragon boat with it easier than an iPod (and iPods are already small)

And by your accounts, all of the "flavored" iMacs were produced just to sell to women, then?

Also from looking at different micro-drive specs over the years (PCMCIA III, Compact-Flash style, etc) the cost difference between a 2gb and a 4gb is basically nil. So manufacturing a 2gb would cost the same amount of capital to manufacturing a 4gb.

>they should have REALLY busted the balls of the MP3 flash
>market and made a 2GB player in the 150-200 dollar range.

Any company could have done that. Why don't they? Because they can't.
The technology is too expensive. After R&D (are we forgetting this, people?) profit margin of a new product is minimal.
We have to pay the guy who designs the chips, not just the guy who stamps the cases.

But yeah, $200 and I'll get one.

MPEGs sound like crap. AIFF all the way.

I'm hesitant to get an ipod for fear that the battery will die in one year and I will have to send it to Apple and pay the $100 replacement fee. Oh, and the ipod mini uses the EXACT same battery. God damn it.

Originally posted by phatnadz
I'm hesitant to get an ipod for fear that the battery will die in one year and I will have to send it to Apple and pay the $100 replacement fee. Oh, and the ipod mini uses the EXACT same battery. God damn it.

:rolleyes:

jeez. i thought this idiotic rumor was dead already.

The 4GB Nitrus should be out soon and may well drive the price down on the minipod, though I'm not counting on it.

Unfortunately Rio still refuses to support OGG VORBIS (FLAC is not a great idea on a 1.5GB portable) on the nitrus, but have no problems using it on the karma :(
I'm not paying this kind of money so I can play freaking WMA and mp3 only. At least the 'pods support AAC (LC AAC that is).

From Macrumors.com:

A week after the introduction of the iPod Mini's, the initial furor appears to be dying down. While several have argued concerns about the price, one Wall Street Journal Column (Paid) offers an alternative perspective:

We don't want to sound like some annoying old relative, but these critics missed the rather elementary fact that different people care about different things. For every buyer of an MP3 player who cares about capacity, there's another one who cares about size. Or style. Or both.
And for plenty of music fans there's no real difference between 1,000 songs and 3,750 -- they're both "enough." As one Slashdotter who saw the light wrote, some people "can't justify $299 just for space, but might justify $249 for style."
Apple does appear to be committed in promoting the new Mini which will be appearing in several television shows in the next 6 to 8 weeks, according to sources.

Regardless, time will tell if Apple has further success with the iPod Mini. Readers are reminded that negative initial reactions are common. Some reader comments from the initial iPod Release in October 2001:

- "I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player?"
- "All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field� is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off."
- "Better bring that price down or you wont sell any of these babies"

The price hasnt affected to many people. I have sold more mini iPods in the last week than i did regular iPods in the last 4 weeks. Including before Xmas.

Originally posted by AntShaw
The price hasnt affected to many people. I have sold more mini iPods in the last week than i did regular iPods in the last 4 weeks. Including before Xmas.
Where do you work?

It seems that apple and me just don't get along. Ever since the Ipod was first released I wanted one. The only two problems with that was that it reminded me of the classic grey gameboy brick, and also that it was only for macs. I really would have shelled out for one if they worked on PC's back then.

Then the new revised Ipods came out, they were smaller, compatable with PC's and added cool features like the dock, and also being able to get something laser etched on the back. Sounds cool eh? The only problem with that was the price was to hefty. Looks like I lose again

Now I hear of this new mini ipod, and I can blame the people at the forums for getting my hopes up. As I scrool down the posts I learn that it only has 4 gigs. And Im like "Whoa, they can't be that expensive" and yet again apple slaps me in the face with a 250 dollor price tag. *Crys*

It seems that I will never get an Ipod because

- Price is to hefty
- Apple charges for capacity, but my max music collection has never even really been over 150 songs.
- The new mini ipods are gay

Maybe an Ipod isnt really what I should be looking into. But if I dont do something quick my grandparents are going to become extremly pissed when they find there batteries are gone. (Im using a Minidisc player)

MD's are nice.

as dangfx said, maybe a PDA would be better for you... future upgradability is something they offer. hey, 1 gig cards are cheap now, i'll buy three!

Its not like the PDA wont suddenly be unable to play MP3s. :)

Originally posted by KaosDG
:rolleyes:

jeez. i thought this idiotic rumor was dead already.

*sigh* I wish people could get the problems straight. Ok sure, Apple uses a crappy li-ion battery when they should use li-poly, but the battery last a reasonably long time anyway. The biggest disadvantage to the battery IMO is the usage time per charge.

I think because its so sturdy looking, people think they can abuse it. I put info on this in the faq.

The only people who have truly learned how to treat rechargable batteries are those that have purchased quite a few NiMH's for paired usage, and discovered how fragile they really are.

Originally posted by Methodical
I think because its so sturdy looking, people think they can abuse it. I put info on this in the faq.

The only people who have truly learned how to treat rechargable batteries are those that have purchased quite a few NiMH's for paired usage, and discovered how fragile they really are.

Heh. I pull my laptop battery if I'm not using it, and once it gets charged. I killed enough of those...

Originally posted by Methodical

But see thats all part of apples plan. Apple puts a hefty price tag on there Ipods. Make them sturdy looking and advertise them in commercials with people singing and dancing around like idiots. Making the impression that you can ACTUALLY do stuff like that with there product and it won't take any damage. Then when it gets damaged apple claims there is no way to fix it. Oh well, time to shell out another 200 some odd dollors on another Ipod. I hope you learned your lesson this time :cool:

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where do you work?
---------------------------

For Apple.

quote:
Where do you work?
---------------------------

For Apple.
In the call center or Retail?

Back