Mining Success/Horror Stories

Z

Ziontrain

Hey guys and gals,

I was thinking about doing some casual mining using NiceHash on my 1080ti.

Can you give me a brief summary of your mining adventures? Did/do you find it worth it? Did you make out like a bandit? Have you sold early and regret it? Did you get scammed?

I'm looking forward to hearing some of your replies.

I went gung-ho and spent about $11k to build 4 rigs. Managed to buy most of my parts at rational retail prices just before the craze hit. Mined for a few months, made a few $k in ETH, ZEC, and XMR. Realized I could sell my rigs for a profit. Did so. Came out ahead by about $3k all said and done. Not bad for a few months of experimentation.

Getting the rigs dialed in and keeping them going ended up being more work than I envisioned. I also grew uncomfortable with the noise and the huge power bills, not to mention the fire hazard.

I did really have fun putting them together, though. Craziest computers I ever built, by far.

If you already have the sunk cost of a 1080 ti, you might as well mine with it when you aren't gaming. Anyone that is in that situation or has free power should be mining as it's still very profitable.

mine it, enjoy what you can.
i've lost profits to shady pools, caught pc on fire, popped breakers, and every one of my miners is cobbled together from near junk. (actually one of computers i picked up on the side of the road on spring cleaning week.) think of it a HOBBY, then if it happens to turn a profit, cool beans.

Had a buddy that mined bitcoin on gpu's when that was a thing. I remember going to frys with him and buying an asston of 6870's. His electric bill was too much though and he had to sell off his BTC before it was above $20/BTC. He doesn't like to talk about bitcoin anymore.

I got back into mining when bitcoin was around $200-$400ish, asics had just hit the scene a little bit before. I got in on a group buy on bitcointalk for 100 block eruptor usb sticks (333mh/s each) and 2x 49 port usb hubs. Ended up mining for less than a month before bitcoin hit $800 and my hardware was suddenly worth about 4x what I paid for it, which was MUCH more than it would ever mine, especially with the >20% difficulty jumps going on. I was working crazy hours around this time (>60 hours a week) and going to school full time so I sold it all and stopped following bitcoin until after it fell below 1k again.

When dogecoin started up I overclocked the living shit outta my water cooled 670 FTW and made ~$300 off that, which covered the cost of the card. It made the card unstable though, I had voltmodded it and pushed it too hard for too long. Ran the 670 until I couldn't turn off my pc without dicking around for a few hours before it would post again. Then I ran it some more until I got my hands on a 290x.

I didn't really mine or follow crypto after my 670 started getting flakey, but once I got the 290x I started looking at mining again. Tried some auto multi-alg things, did the altcoin thing and ended up with a bunch of shit. Found nicehash and ran the numbers vs setting up auto-sells on a pool and nicehash turned out to be slightly more profitable and it was way easier to setup so I went that route.

I've got electric heating so I mine on my 290x, 4770k, my roommates 1070 and his 3770, plus I have an older phenom II 965 system with 2x 7870's in it that are mining. All hardware that isn't cpu is actually profitable but now that its cold out we are mining on everything and haven't had to turn on the heaters yet.

Trying to get some additional hardware to run but gpu's are expensive and I don't have any extra power supplies/motherboards left to throw gpu's into so...

i was building PCs for people when litecoin mining was pretty new. I was using mining as a way to stability test the systems.

That worked out very well in the last year, i had pretty much forgotten about ltc until I randomly found my wallet on a hard drive I intended to format. Lucky day.

Mining Neoscrypt with AMD RX470 , what an absolute nightmare, its such bullshit

Last October I fired up a handful of systems that had been idle since the bitcoin bubble burst causing the crash from $1200 on down. My furnace died and I either had to drop the cash for new HVAC or heat the house with mining. I tinkered with ether for a week or three and bought a furnace. Had I chose to drop the cash on hardware at the time to heat the house for the winter I'd be very frickin rich right now.

I've tried to get into mining on several occasions. When Bitcoin was new I tried but was never successful with the wallets and getting the scripts to stay running. Gave up after a few weeks. I probably had a coin or so but it would have been lost long ago. Tried Burstcoin, set up the account / wallet, then I never could join a pool. Just gave errors and I lost interest.

Back