Mining on GPU, exploit or part of intended use?

Is GPU for mining co sidered part of normal intended usage?

• Yes, it is part of normal usage

Votes: 48 71.6%
  • No, it is an exploit nd gpu is nt designed for it

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • It is complicated nd cnt make up my mind

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters
um sure it does:

exploit
[exploit]

VERB
  1. make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).
    "500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology"
    synonyms:
    utilize · make use of · put to use · use · use to good advantage·
    [more]

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/05/18/lhr/
they are made for gaming/creating, not mining.

Using that definition, you are exploiting your video card to play games/create content. Yet somehow it's only exploitation to mine but not to game?

um sure it does:

exploit
[exploit]

VERB
  1. make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).
    "500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology"
    synonyms:
    utilize · make use of · put to use · use · use to good advantage·
    [more]

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2021/05/18/lhr/
they are made for gaming/creating, not mining.
well my full statement addressed that exactly, had you read more than a politicians quantity.

the most common use of exploit does NOT fit here.
ex-ploit
a software tool designed to take advantage of a FLAW in a computer system, typically for malicious purposes such as installing malware.

so because the pickup i bought does not come with a ball on the bumper already it was not made for towing??

Reactions: x509
like this
Using that definition, you are exploiting your video card to play games/create content. Yet somehow it's only exploitation to mine but not to game?
they are designed for gaming and creating. is that really that hard to grasp?!

well my full statement addressed that exactly, had you read more than a politicians quantity.

the most common use of exploit does NOT fit here.
ex-ploit
a software tool designed to take advantage of a FLAW in a computer system, typically for malicious purposes such as installing malware.

so because the pickup i bought does not come with a ball on the bumper already it was not made for towing??
google/bing it, that is not the common use.

google/bing it, that is not the common use.
i copied it straight from the google definition.
verified by the always accurate and up to date Wikipedia.

They are designed for churning out mad data, is it really hard to grasp?

I am pointing out your definition left something to be desired because in its broadest sense as YOU pointed out, to exploit is to use and you use your video card anytime you display anything, compute anything, etc.

You are trying to hang the term "exploit" on mining due to a basic definition but then you want to bring along its negative connotation to prove your point. You can't have it both ways. If you are exploiting your video card to mine, you are exploiting it to play games based on YOUR definition.

i copied it straight from the google definition.
verified by the always accurate and up to date Wikipedia.

They are designed for churning out mad data, is it really hard to grasp?
lol wiki is trash.

I am pointing out your definition left something to be desired because in its broadest sense as YOU pointed out, to exploit is to use and you use your video card anytime you display anything, compute anything, etc.

You are trying to hang the term "exploit" on mining due to a basic definition but then you want to bring along its negative connotation to prove your point. You can't have it both ways. If you are exploiting your video card to mine, you are exploiting it to play games based on YOUR definition.
yeah ok then...

carry on cryptobros, carry on...

My computers are so exploited and abused that if the machines ever take over, I'm going to get the electric chair.

some of you just cant fucking read...
It's not that. Exploit, used as a noun in this context, is a not just a word in the english language, it's a piece of tech jargon that means almost the same thing as "hack." Spectre/Meltdown would be recent examples of exploits.

At the end of the day, does it even matter what you call mining on GPGPUs or GPUs? Back in the day, Intel had math co-processors for the 8086, 80286 and 80386 CPUs. Today that function is done by GPGPUs.

Historical note: The IBM PC had a 4.77 MHz processor speed for its 8088 CPU.

At the end of the day, does it even matter what you call mining on GPGPUs or GPUs? Back in the day, Intel had math co-processors for the 8086, 80286 and 80386 CPUs. Today that function is done by GPGPUs.

and i would exploit 4.76 MHz of that for pr0n.

I don't care how you use your video card. I just wish there were enough cards to go around so it didn't effect new or used prices.

The math co-processors were added to the CPU core itself (FPU) eventually.
GPUs are basically(kinda) a bunch of FPUs set up to work in parallel.

Yeah, that is basically how I see this problem. They just made them too good at doing high-precision floating-point math quickly and accurately, and thus people are using them as math co-processors with very fast RAM. A device like that just has too much potential value, without being crippled somehow, to be priced reasonably for PC gamers. This is a problem that will have to be dealt with one way or another eventually, mining is just the first example of this fact becoming painful. The people who want to use it as a supercomputer-class math co-processor are willing to pay a lot more, and now that people look at these cards this way, I think we will see them snatched up for other uses besides mining that hurt gamers.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind as a solution is to just make it less useful for the kind of math used to mine cryptocurrency. Lower the floating-point precision so that it's still usable for gaming and rendering graphics, but less useful for other stuff. I remember that the GTX 600 series was known for being worse at mining but better at gaming than old Fermi cards, and one of the main reasons was that double-precision floating point was crippled by the nature of the design itself. I don't know if an approach like that would still work. Traditionally, fast but imprecise math can still be useful for graphics, but you don't want that with compute.

I feel like maybe doing that and cutting the VRAM to 4GB or something while targetting 1440p (and also using binned RAM chips that are chosen because they have no overclocking capacity) might be one of the only ways to produce a product that gamers can afford that won't be attractive to people willing to pay the true value of a fast double-precision floating point math co-processor with tons of fast RAM.

For years now people have been justifying Titan cards and general raising of prices because GeForce cards could also be pro-sumer compute cards. Mining is computational. So I don't see this as "outside of what the card is designed for".

This is just a consequence of blurring the lines between what was previously a gaming product line many years ago to being both since like Fermi, maybe earlier.

x509 , is it the same as bulldozer having 4 normal cores nd 4 not complete cores that relied on other 4 to do fpu calculations? Nt sure of details, but I think that's what was happening nd people were upset that it wasn't true independent 8 cores?
Furious_Styles am sorry, nt sure, it all makes sense to me in my head?
UltraTaco Dunno. Before my recent build with an AMD 3900X, my last AMD CPU was an Athlon 2000, actually two running in MP mode using the "pencil trick." Nothing in between and I wasn't paying attention. I tend to build a strong system and then upgrade about every 5-6 years, sometimes more.

People can use purchased physical goods for any legal purpose at their discretion as long as they are ok with breaking things and being out. the purchase price.
Where things get prickly is warranty issues outside of expected / designed usage.
I would not be too surprised if the green team (or both) started further EULAing their way out of warranty coverage for mining. I’m OK with that and I would think people making money with mining would be too.

I would think people making money with mining would be too.
lol yeah right. they want to squeeze everything they can out of a gpu and then turn around and sell it a an inflated price. greed.

I don't get this "normal intended usage". The GPU's usage is whatever I, the owner of the card, intend to use it for. If it can draw games faster than any other card, I'll use it for gaming. If it can also mine faster than everything else, I'll also use it for some mining. And if the thing can grill some eggs and bacon faster than anything else then I'd use it for that too, we've come close a few times there.

It's Nvidia's decision to exploit the market by releasing gimped cards that have artificial limits in place for certain tasks so purchasers can't game and mine on the same card. It's their call to make and it's probably a good business one, but I'm not going to pretend like it's anything other than that.

lol yeah right. they want to squeeze everything they can out of a gpu and then turn around and sell it a an inflated price. greed.
Is it greedy for the company to sell it at the highest price they think the market will take? Really it's no different. Everyone wants to make more $, be it a person or a billion-dollar tech giant.

Back