Mini Retina or the Air? Why?

I think it depends on how you will carry it. My wife and girls are small, so they like the mini weight. However, the Air is much lighter than the 4. The procs are going to be the same.

really thinking of going for the mini retina, despite the extra 70$ which truly irritate.. I can only imagine how perfect retina display would look on this 8" screen !

Really like the Air, but every time I see the Mini in person, I like it more.

Currently have a company-issued iPad 4... Just need to find someone to give it to and purchase the upgrade for myself. ;)

I'm going with the Air. I use my iPad as a laptop replacement. And while I like the mini (I just sold mine), I really need more screen space.

I have a 3 and was thinking of switching to the mini w/ retina. However, they are rolling out google fiber in the near future and a friend reminded me the remote would be a Nexus 7 (or newer device). I could use that for my books (always used Amazon to buy music and books) and just keep the 3 for browsing and already purchased apps.

I have a 3 and was thinking of switching to the mini w/ retina. However, they are rolling out google fiber in the near future and a friend reminded me the remote would be a Nexus 7 (or newer device). I could use that for my books (always used Amazon to buy music and books) and just keep the 3 for browsing and already purchased apps.

Just as an FYI, there is a Kindle/Amazon app on the iPad. It may be more convenient to just have one device...

Just as an FYI, there is a Kindle/Amazon app on the iPad. It may be more convenient to just have one device...

I already have it on my iPad 3. I was just commenting that because I had used the Kindle app and Amazon music instead of Apple's book and music store, I could freely move between mobile OS.

I like the size of the 10" iPad for browsing the internet and playing games but it is a bit awkward to hold while reading in bed. I like a high res screen for reading which is why I originally moved from an iPad 1 to iPad 3. It let me ditch my Kindle but it was still uncomfortable to read in bed. I skipped the 1st mini because the text wasn't clear enough.

I was going to compare the new Air and Mini and thought I would lean towards the Mini. The free Nexus 7 though can fill in as my reader and thus no need to buy a new device, lighter and slightly smaller Air or much lighter and smaller Mini.

I already have it on my iPad 3. I was just commenting that because I had used the Kindle app and Amazon music instead of Apple's book and music store, I could freely move between mobile OS.

I like the size of the 10" iPad for browsing the internet and playing games but it is a bit awkward to hold while reading in bed. I like a high res screen for reading which is why I originally moved from an iPad 1 to iPad 3. It let me ditch my Kindle but it was still uncomfortable to read in bed. I skipped the 1st mini because the text wasn't clear enough.

I was going to compare the new Air and Mini and thought I would lean towards the Mini. The free Nexus 7 though can fill in as my reader and thus no need to buy a new device, lighter and slightly smaller Air or much lighter and smaller Mini.

Ah, gotcha.

As much as I want the Mini for its higher PPI, I know it's going to be worse for comic books. I like reading comics without having to zoom in, and I can barely manage to do so comfortably on the regular iPad.

I vote mini. I have an iPad 3 and I protect it with an otter box case. It really protects it from me but also makes it gigantic.

I'm thinking a mini in an otter box type case will be the right size.

Air is the way to go. Mini seems just like an oversize phone to me.
Air is so light now that you can use it comfortably on the couch, in bed, etc.

Having had every single iPad besides the 2, I can tell you that the Mini with Retina display is the one I will be getting. It has the same exact specs as the air, but more portable and lighter. The big screen is a good option if you are in school, because in a way it replaces the laptop when you read for example. I honestly got tired of the big size. It was also pretty heavy for a tablet but this time around they are much lighter.

I have a work-issued iPad 2, so I have no need for either the Air or the Mini. If I were to buy one, however, I would get the Air. I have a 2nd job as a church musician, so obviously a larger iPad would be better for music reading at the piano or organ. GIA, one of the publishers of Catholic hymnals, has their own Hymnals app for the iPad - the app is free, but you pay for the content. OCP, another publisher, sells their content through a third-party app, forScore. We use OCP at our church, so using forScore is something that I'm considering.

P.S. I am not affiliated with GIA, OCP, or forScore.

Back