Mini Pentosin (Worklog) 56K Warning

Well guys... while I'm waiting for my parts to arrive I decided to study a little closer the Blue Pentosin coolant since it's going to be the additive I will use. Also I have been requested to post some pictures.

First I ordered the product ($10.82 US) from http://www.car-stuff.com/

Also can be found on any Audi or German auto dealer.

spentosin17er.jpg

Pentosin/Water Ratio

Here 100% Pentosin

spentosin10ni.jpg

1(P)/1(W)

spentosin2za.jpg

1(P)/5(W)

spentosin91vl.jpg

1(P)/9(W)

spentosin77sz.jpg

Putting Pento to the test :D Lets see how well will perform for loops with different metal parts at 10% concentration 1(P)/9(W)

I put in the mix: Zinc screw, copper pipe, a dime, a penny, a piece of speaker cable, galbanized roofing screw and a piece of aluminum. I think this will do it :woot:

spentosin65yq.jpg

spentosin50uf.jpg

To Be Continued After few days...

For the test I would have the water swirl, by means of a pump or something. That would be more accurate, and accelerate corrosion.

thecoldanddarkone said:
For the test I would have the water swirl, by means of a pump or something. That would be more accurate, and accelerate corrosion.

I would love to but don't have the parts yet :D

I'll welcome anyone who has spare parts out there to pitch in on this research ;) Even with other coolants... the idea is to help everybody pick the right additive and I know there is nothing better than 100% water but you know the rest :p

Here is an addition thanks to Fairydust (from XtremeSystems) he added the following to the cause ;)

copper pipe and aluminum piece after 2 years and 9 months in G11 (Pentosin) mixture on the left and pure distilled water on the right.

From a German Forum
DSCN3314.JPG

Dang, the real Pentosin shure looks better then the stuff I got from the VW place the other day... Much clearer, and less green... Though I will say it was a LOT cheaper. I got trice as much for what your payed for that +shipping ;) .

comparing it to plain distilled water isn't really the way to look about it. It should have been at least compared to reg old green stuff before you make any judgements.

I can't seem to find Pentosin on the website you've specify. Do you have a part number, or can you post the direct link. Is $10.82 includes shipping price?

Thanks.

kqt2ktval said:
I can't seem to find Pentosin on the website you've specify. Do you have a part number, or can you post the direct link. Is $10.82 includes shipping price?

Thanks.
You can find it here.

N00b question: What happens if you mix the pentosin blue with water and say a red uv reactive dye....does it turn uv purple?

I don't see why it wouldn't turn purple, but I don't know if the UV properties would be withheld.

kqt2ktval said:

Thanks.

Shipping is free if you spend more than $50 it worked for me as I needed some filters for my car.. normally hard to find. If shipping is an issue perhaps you could split the bottle with some buddies... I don't think I will use the whole bottle in all my overclocking life... so I'm going to share it with some local friends ;)

Here Pentosin for $10.82

MrSneis said:
N00b question: What happens if you mix the pentosin blue with water and say a red uv reactive dye....does it turn uv purple?

If you are looking for purple color I saw somewhere there is purple Pentosin.. let me see if I can find the link.

>>>Update<<<

Red Pentosin

Purple Color

thecoldanddarkone said:
comparing it to plain distilled water isn't really the way to look about it. It should have been at least compared to reg old green stuff before you make any judgements.
the regular old green stuff works just as well as pentosin.....it's just not the blue colour that many users like.

so long as the rad coolant is dexcool certified (and almost all of them are, these days) they will have pretty good anti-corosive properties.

from there on it's a question of differences in cooling performance.

Quote: xXxDieselxXx

Shipping is free if you spend more than $50 it worked for me as I needed some filters for my car.. normally hard to find. If shipping is an issue perhaps you could split the bottle with some buddies... I don't think I will use the whole bottle in all my overclocking life... so I'm going to share it with some local friends
**************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the link, but I've already purchased it through another vendor from a previous post. I wish I have buddies that also do watercooling, but so far I'm the only one who jumped aboard. I will see if anyone in the SALE/TRADE forum is willing to take some off me for a small price. Anyone here interested in a bottle of Crystal Geyser filled Pentosin for 8 bucks?

how does the compare to swiftech's hydrx? new to watercooling thats why i'm asking. do i have to worry about alge and all that if i use this?

i also use pentosin in my loop. i went with 90/10 for about a year then decided to get some wildfire blue dye and really make it blue! i'm really liking the deep blue the dye gives me. with the pentosin it never really got as dark as i wanted.

FYI when running in the loop the blue color is not nearly as deep as just sitting in a cup.

aiya said:
how does the compare to swiftech's hydrx? new to watercooling thats why i'm asking. do i have to worry about alge and all that if i use this?
this stuff has some anti-microbials in it, as does hydrx.

honestly, about the only reason to use hydryx in preference to any of the others available is that swiftech warrenty requires it for their gear.......not that it should make any real difference.

<<< Update >>>

It has been a little over 3 weeks and so far all the metals look just like the first day.. no corrosion no stains no problem.

So far so good...

One interesting thing is while I was putting my loop together I left some Pentosin mix leftover on a plastic container on the basement and open.

Yesterday as I was working a little bit on drywalling the basement I saw the container and noticed some contamination floating... so I said what the heck... I first I thought hmm maybe are pieces of wood or drywall dust.. as I grabbed the container.. there were lot of little dead ants floating and some still semi alive.... wow.. first I said .. it has been dry and maybe they just went kamikaze with the water... but the interesting part is right next to that container there was another one with regular distilled water... so what's going here? It seems like Pentosin has something that attracts ants.... and obviously kills them.. I kind of tried to smell the container and it does have a little sweet smell very little I wonder if that's why they are getting attracted.

Also the container was an empty winshield liquid bottle I washed very good.

I'll post some pictures of the amphibious invasion later when I get home

:D

I am soon putting together my first WC loop and would like to know if it is possible to run a 85/15 or 80/20 to get a darker color blue or does that reduce safety or performance?

Thank you
Tim

Cpt Twitchy said:
I am soon putting together my first WC loop and would like to know if it is possible to run a 85/15 or 80/20 to get a darker color blue or does that reduce safety or performance?

Thank you
Tim

My mix in my loop is 90W/10P and I thought was dark enough... however 15/85 or 20/80 should be fine.. I don't think will affect anything other than undetectable temperature change.

Feel free to add to this log with pictures and results... I would love to see what you get :D

xXxDieselxXx said:
My mix in my loop is 90W/10P and I thought was dark enough... however 15/85 or 20/80 should be fine.. I don't think will affect anything other than undetectable temperature change.

Feel free to add to this log with pictures and results... I would love to see what you get :D
I will do. I just got my rad and fillport in the other day and waiting on the blocks and pump. I am also In the process of painting my case so it may still be another week-2 before its done with my current schedule.

xXxDieselxXx said:
[Bso what's going here? It seems like Pentosin has something that attracts ants.... and obviously kills them.. I kind of tried to smell the container and it does have a little sweet smell very little I wonder if that's why they are getting attracted.
It's probably the Ethyl Glycol. Stuff is kindof sweet. It's why dogs and such will drink antifreeze.

I speak from personal experience. The Glycol mixture in most anti-freezes tastes really sweet.

Always wash your hands after filling up a watercooling loop :).

LMAO..!

Well here it is:

It really looks like pieces of wood but are 100% Pento-Ants :D
pentoantsgo0.jpg

One more to go...

bottleanttj8.jpg

Well guys finally got the Pentosin G12 demo from Petras along with some 7/16 Masterkleer tubing :D

Thanks Alex..!

g12samplews6.jpg

To be honest we should not call it Red Pentosin... instead we should call it Pink Pentosin... Hey ..! Still looks cool.. I'm sure your girl will love it :D

pentog12100ff3.jpg

1p1wg12ju3.jpg

1p5wg12fc8.jpg

1p9wg12sg9.jpg

g12tubingdemoim9.jpg

Regarding the UV reactive part.. I don't really have anything yet to make it work.. but I placed the tubing demos on the direct sun..... so you can get the idea ;)

uvwannabeg12pz3.jpg

Thanks Petras.. for your interest on Water Cooling Research :D
g12finalfy3.jpg

xXxDieselxXx said:
Here is an addition thanks to Fairydust (from XtremeSystems) he added the following to the cause ;)

copper pipe and aluminum piece after 2 years and 9 months in G11 (Pentosin) mixture on the left and pure distilled water on the right.

From a German Forum
http://mitglied.lycos.de/keiljue/Pics/zubeh%f6r/DSCN3314.JPG

I'm actually suprised how well the distilled group looks considering the length of time. Are you running a control group as well?

sykocus said:
I'm actually suprised how well the distilled group looks considering the length of time. Are you running a control group as well?

Yes, and so far no changes.. all still looking like new... no corrosion once of ever.

My loop it's also on blue Pentosin and everything still looks like the first day with the pretty blue color :D

I needs to gets me some pentosin, so far VW and local parts stores do not carry :(

Since I'm more of a performance-oriented person, I put 1:9 (10%) on all of the bottles (even though that can be considered too high) and noted on the website that you can use more to enhance the color, if desired. The only thing it'll hurt are your temps :rolleyes:

BTW, I added a UV shot to the website but the color is just a tiny bit off (it becomes more of a red-orange under UV light at 100%).

yhst-65556269779593_1910_40182038

So... Um... Barbie Candie eh...

I hope you have a daughter ;).

As for the ratio of anti-freeze to water, up until a couple of days ago I never noticed how much extra stuff in the water actually hurt performance. I had my loop filled with 9% antifreeze, .5% alcohol and .5% bleach (my plexi resevoir is in direct sunlight for about 4 hrs a day) and my triple-load (Cpu, NB, Gpu) temps were just under 40'c.

I noticed my water turning neon yellow from some leftover yellow dye I had used in my previous buid, so I flushed the entire thing out for about an hour (laundry sink ftw) after letting bleach sit in the loop for 20 minutes.

Long story short, I refilled with a mixture of 3% antifreeze and 1% bleach and my temps decreased to 36'c under full triple load... That's a big difference. I now idle at 28'c... 4-5'c over ambient.

What would happen if you mixed the blue pentosin and the pink pentosin? super coolant that would be brown?

You'd THINK it'd turn purple. But then again...

Question for the OP. Do you have a multimeter? I wonder what the electrical conductivity of your different mixtures is...

Arcygenical said:
You'd THINK it'd turn purple. But then again...

Question for the OP. Do you have a multimeter? I wonder what the electrical conductivity of your different mixtures is...

oooooh, good point Batman!

Thanks lol.

You know with my mult. Distilled water scores ~1.2Mohms... With antifreeze added I'm only scoring about 200 000ohms... Kinda scary.

Back