Mini PCI 802.11 internal antenna part number?

0ldman

2[H]4U
Does anyone have a part number for the internal antennas that are in IBM or Toshiba laptops that fit in the LCD plastics?

I need one for a project...

checked with my ibm and my toshiba parts catalogs
in both the antenna's are indicated to be part of the lcd assembly and not sold seperatly

you can find 3'rd party antenna's pretty easily that have the mini connector on them

what are you planing to do with it?

I've got customers with wireless every few blocks. If I can get good enough reception, I'll have wireless access just about covering the city.

I just like playing with wireless. With a better antenna on my end I have one location that extends about a half mile.

Dell Inspiron 8200's internal antenna isn't very impressive.

btw, got a source on 3rd party antennas? what is the connector type on the Mpci card called?

I'm looking for internal, I don't want anything I have to remove from the system. That is why I'm getting away from the PCMCIA.

0ldman said:
I've got customers with wireless every few blocks. If I can get good enough reception, I'll have wireless access just about covering the city.

I just like playing with wireless. With a better antenna on my end I have one location that extends about a half mile.

Dell Inspiron 8200's internal antenna isn't very impressive.

btw, got a source on 3rd party antennas? what is the connector type on the Mpci card called?

I'm looking for internal, I don't want anything I have to remove from the system. That is why I'm getting away from the PCMCIA.

The connector on the mini-pci card(s) is u.fl / hirose. Internal antennas suck. Get an external RP-TNC connector with a u.fl pigtail from netgate (www.netgate.com), get out your dremel tool, and drill a hole in your case. 8) That's what I did, see:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=801545

I'm looking for internal, I want to keep it simple. No external antenna.

0ldman said:
I'm looking for internal, I want to keep it simple. No external antenna.

Good luck. All the internal antennas I've seen pretty much suck, even the ones built into the LCD panels. They're just bits of wire with u.fl connectors.

Ethertronics (www.ethertronics.com) has some good stuff, but they don't sell to end users. You'd probably have to find a piece of equipment with one of their antennas inside and harvest it.

Back