[Mini-ITX] The impossible build - Dolch 1993 case

Zakizdaman

n00b
1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc. (If you have multiple things you want to do with the system, make sure you rank them from most important to least important).

The rig will be used for gaming, live streaming and recording, as HTPC when needed (only for movies from time to time so not very frequently)

2. Will you be overclocking? (If so, are you looking to watercool?)

I have no need to over clock, however I know the system will be under quite a bit of stress with live streaming and gaming at the same time. I'm not sure if water cooling is an option.

3. What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included in this budget? Is your budget flexible? Is cost a driving factor in component selection?

As for my budget, I don't really have much of a concrete budget. I expect I'll be spending 1000-1500 on the final build, however I'll be building this thing over a large period of time due to how complicated it will be.

4. Where do you live? Do you have any big B&M (brick and mortar) computer chains nearby (e.g. Microcenter, Fry's, etc)?

I live in Calgary Alberta Canada, and there's a Memory Express quite close to me. They are the biggest and most successful chain in Canada,

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need (especially if you will need 3.5" hard drives or expansion cards as these may restrict case options).

I will be needing CPU (and cooler), Ram, 2 or more Solid state drives, GPU, PSU,

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. For reused parts, list brands, model #s, and, if applicable, firmware revisions.

I will be re using the computer case. This case belonged to one of the very first portable computers that existed in the computer market. It is a Dolch "Portable Add-in Computer" C-P.A.C. 38SX-20C model from 1993. There is a bracket that came with it for the hard drive and floppy disk, I will attach pictures of the case at the end of the thread.

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s? etc. Which is more important, size of the system or having the particular feature? Make sure you indicate *required* vs. *wanted* for each feature you list.

I WAS very stressed about getting SLI or Crossfire support, but fitting a board big enough to support those features is no longer an option. I now am forced to run with Mini-ITX.
What is required is enough processing power to live stream and game at the same time, as well as being able to power most high end games on at least medium/high graphics.

One thing that I want very very badly is to re use the space in the front of the case to put a small laptop monitor and utilize that space. I plan on cutting out as much space as possible to fit as big of a screen as possible inside there. It would be very nice to get help in soldering the on-board video connectors some how to this laptop screen and have it powered by the PSU, or maybe even a laptop battery inside the case somewhere. This means I will need a motherboard with decent on-board video capabilities

Oh yeah and I want to use the original keyboard but it will be easy enough to cut off the old connector and solder on a new one. (DIN ----> PS/2)

8. What resolution output do you need? 4k playback, 1080p playback, etc for HTPC or give a vertical/horizontal resolution for gaming SFF rigs. Do you need multiple monitor output?

The maximum resolution possible of the screen on the front of the case is 1600x900. it is a 16.4" space, so whatever the best resolution I can pump with that would be great.
Aside from that, I will only be needing 1080p for gaming and such.

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Think entertainment center shelves, closet space, rackmount, etc. Many modern SFF cases have either removed the optical drive or have been constructed so that removing the ODD increases the configuration possibilities immensely.

The system needs to fit inside it's case.... Which is why it is going to be nearly impossible. As for the optical drive, I can just get one that is powered by USB can't i? Game software, drivers, computer software and movies can all be downloaded now a days.

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? What tools do you have (Screwdrivers/Leatherman, Drill, Dremel, Metal snips, Soldering Iron, Bending Brake, CNC/Welding machines/Plasma cutter, etc...)?

I am perfectly fine with hacking this case up to fit everything inside. However, I still want the outside appearance to appear almost original. I have a soldering iron, access to welding, CNC, i have all the screw drivers, drills, dremels, and metal snips that I need.

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? HTPCs typically want to be quiet while all-out SFF gaming rigs don't care

The noise of the system isn't a very big problem since it's going to be mostly gaming. A quiet system would be very hard with such minimal space.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? Need a carrying handle or carrying straps? Is weight important (carry-on bag, etc)? Water cooling quick disconnects, etc?

It has a carrying handle on the top, and a keyboard attached to the front of the case.

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Remember that OEM copies of Win7 have issues with new motherboards

I plan on buying a new copy of windows 7/8 32 or 64 bit.

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Immediately, in a couple weeks, 3-5 years?

I estimate that this build will take me 6 months to a year to finish.

PLEASE NOTE: In the picture where it shows the dimensions of the inside of the case, the height is measuring from the mother board seats up to the top of the metal. I'm guessing aside from that there is about 3/4" more space. Also where it says 12 inches across is where the original mother board seats were. I measured, and there is actually 14 inches "Floor space" in the case.

http://imgur.com/a/7cmhG#0

EDIT: I REALLY want to use this motherboard. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=88847&vpn=MAXIMUS VI IMPACT&manufacture=ASUS

Back